Atari announces partnership with Antstream Arcade to bring "thousands of retro games" to Atari VCS

atari VCS.png
Atari's take on retro console rehash, the Atari VCS, just had more games added to its library. Breaking radio-silence on its crowd-funded console, Atari today announced its partnership with retro game streaming platform Antstream in the form of an enhanced and exclusive “Atari Edition” of Antstream’s streaming service to the Atari VCS console.

Available at launch, the exclusive Antstream Arcade Atari VCS app will offer 50 classic Atari titles, with additional games added on a steady basis (the full list of games has not been made available at the time of writing but some titles to expect are Bad Dudes vs. DragonNinja, Double Dragon, Jumpman, Metal Slug, Adventure, Night Driver, Pong, Tempest 2000, and Yars’ Revenge). In addition to an existing library of 2,000+ officially licensed games, the exclusive Antstream Arcade Atari VCS app will include the largest collection of Atari games available on demand, in both original and enhanced edition formats, curated from across the brand’s many arcade, home, and handheld platforms.

What's interesting is what Atari and Antstream call "enhanced game editions" boasting new functionality such as multiplayer and “pure” unmodified versions of classic Atari games. In addition, Atari and Antstream Arcade will deliver a constant flow of all-new creative social challenges to engage and incentivize fans to experience their favorite retro games "in unique ways".

Antstream Arcade titles will also be compatible with the Atari VCS Classic Joystick and Atari VCS Modern Controller, including rumble and LED lighting effects.

“Antstream Arcade is a perfect partner for Atari and its fans,” said Atari CEO Frédéric Chesnais. “Anstream’s offering lets players instantly access a vast library of games, including many Atari titles that have not been available for streaming before now."

console.jpg

The Antstream Arcade app for the Atari VCS offers a 30-day free trial, with subscription options available for $9.99(US)/month or $7.99(US)/month (total $95.88) for a yearly subscription.

Shipping for the Atari VCS is scheduled to begin March 2020.

:arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Inbox

Reactions: lordelan

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah there is a lot of controversy and piss poor PR regarding this, even their reddit and subreddit mods have been going after people who dare critique the console and its lack of existence. Yeah, it's not looking so good for Atari.

Yeah, and the fact they don't refund people who crowdfunded this? Total douche move, I hope they go under and burn.

Ooh streaming games, wow, I can't to play games I can't own!

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good for internet companies, this stuff goes hand in hand lol.

Screw bandwidth caps, Comcast is especially douchey with them, 1 TB is the cap, and to get unlimited is an extra 40 dollars/month. Yeah right, screw that. Streaming only gaming can die in a dumpster fire for all I care.

4K 60 fps streaming adds up very very quickly.

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Screw bandwidth caps, Comcast is especially douchey with them, 1 TB is the cap, and to get unlimited is an extra 40 dollars/month. Yeah right, screw that. Streaming only gaming can die in a dumpster fire for all I care.

Yeah that's what I'm saying, it's business from extra data, I'm no advocate here. :P

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah that's what I'm saying, it's business from extra data, I'm no advocate here. :P

Of course, I get it, but dang if it's not an asinine concept. If there were no caps, and if streaming gaming was free, I wouldn't object. However, like the abortive Google Stadia (which requires a subscription AND paying for each game on top of that), it's a stupid idea. The difference between this and Netflix, is Netflix is a flat rate, you can access everything without paying more than the service fee. But no, they just HAD to screw you over. Yeah, I hope it fails hard.

Reactions: Voyambar

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Of course, I get it, but dang if it's not an asinine concept. If there were no caps, and if streaming gaming was free, I wouldn't object. However, like the abortive Google Stadia (which requires a subscription AND paying for each game on top of that), it's a stupid idea. The difference between this and Netflix, is Netflix is a flat rate, you can access everything without paying more than the service fee. But no, they just HAD to screw you over. Yeah, I hope it fails hard.

Fully agree, as long as you meant "streaming gaming was free" as in in terms of internet. There should be a change in the internet industry first tbh, but charging for games additionally is indeed bonkers.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Kraken_X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every Atari 2600 game ever made can all fit easily on a 1.4MB floppy disk. The average photo on the internet is larger in file size than the entire Atari collection. How can they justify a streaming service for $10 a month?

On the upside, I guess there is finally a streaming service that could work well over dial up. Not that they will optimize it well enough to do so...

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Every Atari 2600 game ever made can all fit easily on a 1.4MB floppy disk. The average photo on the internet is larger in file size than the entire Atari collection. How can they justify a streaming service for $10 a month?

On the upside, I guess there is finally a streaming service that could work well over dial up. Not that they will optimize it well enough to do so...

Did you check the website? 4K 60fps for one, I assume it's something different, unless it's just using an emulator that upscales. And there's the convenience thing and the OS, again, just saying. https://atarivcs.com/

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Please understand. They need to maintain, clean and oil up the server's floppy drive.

thedrev

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
This project has been promoted by legendary game developer Jon Burton.
I hope that they will found their target audience, but I sadly doubt it, for all the reasons commented on his channel at the time.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

My ISP has a minimum of $70 a month for internet unless you get a shitty cable bundle (which looks nice and cheaper until you realize it's bundles with really shitty internet compared to paying for just internet). So it's basically great internet or nothing

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah there is a lot of controversy and piss poor PR regarding this, even their reddit and subreddit mods have been going after people who dare critique the console and its lack of existence. Yeah, it's not looking so good for Atari.

Yeah, and the fact they don't refund people who crowdfunded this? Total douche move, I hope they go under and burn.

Ooh streaming games, wow, I can't to play games I can't own!

well, in particular, the people on the atari team who where made mods where, and when they where found to be doing that they got banned from there own reddit. rightfully so. one should not abuse power to silence criticism

Reactions: Reynardine

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn