At which point does Portrait of Ruin crash on flash carts?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by bumjeans, Jun 30, 2008.

1. bumjeans
    OP

Member bumjeans GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I had bought Castlevania PoR because it was cheap and Im a CV fan. Its still shrink wrapped, I dont want to open it unless it is necessary.

I am using an R4 with a 1GB SD card (toshiba brand I think).

I dont want to get the rom, start playing it and then find out it doesnt work and then have to start again on a real cart.

Will I know early on whether it is compatible with my gear?

2. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    That stuff is kinda random.. on my 1GB Sandisk the game freezes on the first save point :/

Look at the wiki, I believe we have a compatibility list for each game/SD card

3. Tanas

Member Tanas GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    I can safely say that the game will not freeze on the R4 using a 1gig Toshiba mem card.

4. T-hug

Chief Editor T-hug Always like this.

pip
    United Kingdom
    When you first get to Wind and the Monk (shop) spam the map on and off, spam the conversation with Wind and the Monk, also the first teleport room when you get to it (anything that breaks normal play). If it doesn't lock you should be good.
    I ended up beating it on a Supercard Lite with 1GB Sandisk and still have my USA cart sealed.

5. Ruri

Member Ruri GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Also, the room above the water-driven lifts (you'll know it when you see it) caused massive crashes for me. I didn't crash anywhere else, only there, so I assume it makes some major draw on card speed that goes beyond the things that cause crashes elsewhere.

6. DespizingU

Member DespizingU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I just picked up an A-Data 4GB Class 6, and PoR is running beautifully on it. I'm already to the third painting and not one single freeze. All the usual spots(painting, portals) has not made the game freeze. I have also went in and out of the start menu very rapidly about a dozen times in a row, and still wouldn't freeze.

But anyways, as Tanas mentioned, the game shouldn't freeze with your Toshiba. It's not the flash cart that causes the freezes, it's the speed of the microsd. Just start pressing Start on and off really fast a few times. If the game doesn't freeze, then you should be ok.

7. MyauChanDesu

Member MyauChanDesu Kamineko is GOD.

Australia
    my one doesn't crash.. *on an R4*

8. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Well, I beat the game on a real cart, but when I played for an hour on my R4 with a 2gig Kingston Japan, it never crashed. One girl I know who has the same setup said it DID crash on her. So I don't know.

There is a fix that removes a few sounds to possibly fix the crash, but I never tried it.

9. InuYasha

Member InuYasha Professional Coke Fiend

United States
    Running the same with 2gig kingston(japan) and it hasn't froze on me yet,tho I just started playing last night.....

10. acky

Member acky GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    You can format your card as fat16, small cluster size for faster read. Check the results of your format with a disk benchmark program.

It decreased the frequency of crashes but it would still occur, most noticeably when accessing the menu immediately after jumping. Changing to a 1GB made in Japan (came with my phone) solved my problems.

11. Curley5959

Member Curley5959 CCC Member!

Australia
    mine kinda gets a bit laggy!! I dont know if thats any help or not!! [​IMG] R4-2GB Sandisk-1.18 firmware

12. sadak5

Member sadak5 GBAtemp Fan

Mexico
    On my Supercar DS One with a Sandisk 2GB it crashes mainly randomly. At least, after the beting for the first time both of the 'Candidates' it never crashed.

13. starfox468

Member starfox468 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    it doesn't crash anymore in the newer flash carts, but before it crashed randomly when going through portals

14. Raestloz

Member Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Indonesia
    At random points. Usually at teleport rooms (when you use the device) and when you want to see the menu where there is an object to interact with (like people or statue).

At some point it will crash too. And ironically, at the point when the screen is almost empty (only background and you). It drives me nuts!

15. bumjeans
    OP

Member bumjeans GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Cool, thanks all. I feel a little better about it now.

16. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I remember when I had a Transcend 2gig, the game would crash almost immediately.