At what degree?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by JohnLoco, May 7, 2010.

May 7, 2010

At what degree? by JohnLoco at 1:34 PM (1,232 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. JohnLoco
    OP

Member JohnLoco GBAtemp Regular

Yugoslavia
    Which degree is the boiling point for the 360? People get RROD all the time due to heating issues. Paranoid as i am even though im using a Jasper i would like to know how cold the goal is.

CPU:39-48c
    GPU: 40-50c
    Ram-42-52c
    MB:21-30c

Am i in any danger or what do you think?

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    RRoD as it usually is known is less to do with heat and more to do with bad design- silicon limits are usually around 90- to 100 degrees C depending on your chosen chip materials but there are serious problems with other things and lifetime before then. Two red rings (overheating) is usually the fault of fan failure or people sticking it in an enclosed space or by a radiator.

In your case the GPU looks a bit higher than I might like for a jasper but still well within the acceptable realms (it has been noted that xexmenu is a bit of a GPU temperature raiser so take what that says as a higher end reading).
    The ram is also a bit higher than I might like but nothing major.

If you can stand more noise both freestyle dash and fanspeed flasher have the ability to change fan speeds.

3. JohnLoco
    OP

Yugoslavia
    I was and am using freestyle dash with the fan standing 60-80%. i hate it though.

Should i do this:
    Get whisper fans for the back
    Replace the DVD drive with a 120MM fan facing Up and make a vent hole for it.
    Get a laptop cooling pad for the xbox to lay on?

Which would be more important to do, temperature vise?

4. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    I would most look to the DVD drive- I externalised mine* (no fan or vents added) and it dropped it by about 10 degrees (this is a Zephyr though which runs on average about 10 degrees higher on the CPU and GPU). On the other hand running mine caseless did up the base temperature but helped at the high end.

laptop cooling pad- probably would not work all that well- most of the air intake is at the back of the 360 unlike laptops which usually do have underside cooling intakes.

Whisper fans- outright replacement I can sit with but just adding fans like those ones I sense you are talking about to the end is a different matter. Barring some evidence otherwise I can not really see a situation where it would do much good assuming you already had good airflow (a far easier and cheaper method).

*edit: I remembered I already uploaded a picture so you can have a look of you want.
    http://pix.gbatemp.net/32303/360dvdext.JPG

I think all in all cooling electronics in small form factors like this is always going to be tricky and if you wind in the problems the 360 design has then it gets worse.

5. JohnLoco
    OP

Yugoslavia
    I'll do the dvd thingy i think then

6. JohnLoco
    OP

Yugoslavia
    Alright, ill get a pair of
    [​IMG]
    not sure how the GPU one get the hot air out of there... but it seems to work so.
    im also replacing original fans with whisper ones.

I will make the DVD external like you did, but i dont know how to install a fan there instead.
    Would i have to use an external power source? Would i have to carve in the box?

what are your ideas people?

7. JohnLoco
    OP

Yugoslavia
    Another thing, it's pretty much cold here all day long and i use this to my advantage, i have my box standing by the window and when i open it during the -2celsius it takes the temp down with 15-20degrees.

Do i need to watch out for moisture damages though? Im pretty scared of that.

8. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    Water damage- I am pretty sure many people on this very forum use their 360 in what amounts to high humidity (you head towards some of the southern US states and it gets somewhat high). If you are going to point it out of the window rain would be a bigger concern of mine.

As for where to grab power from- if you are already slicing things then I would right to the cable- a nice 12V line in there you can tap. You have the old staples of http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/mods/360-12V-fan-Mod.htm as well.

Fans- personally I would not buy specific fans and instead look at some of the general PC ones:
    http://pinouts.ru/Power/BigPower_pinout.shtml

Oh and I should have mentioned- I snatched the power connector from my drive flashing kit (still a bit too short for my liking) and a sata lead from somewhere.