Hacking At this time, is it possible to downgrade a Wii U?

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It'll probably (or probably not. I'm always wrong.) be possible when an IOSU exploit surfaces.
That's one thing that has been confirmed by those that worked on iosu. Downgrade should be possible at that time. We just don't currently know when that is.

Edizius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
At this point I also have a question I am thinking about since quite long time: If I have on my router a forwarder from the IPs which are currently locked (so all Ninty Servers) to a local/external Server telling that there is e.g. a version 6.0.0 which is actually 5.3.2 (is this possible? Like a spoofed version of 5.3.2): wouldn't this make downgrading / installing custom firmware possible? Why isn't this done?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
At this point I also have a question I am thinking about since quite long time: If I have on my router a forwarder from the IPs which are currently locked (so all Ninty Servers) to a local/external Server telling that there is e.g. a version 6.0.0 which is actually 5.3.2 (is this possible? Like a spoofed version of 5.3.2): wouldn't this make downgrading / installing custom firmware possible? Why isn't this done?
I don't know if it has been tried or not, but if it's anything like the 3DS, the system simply won't install older titles than what is currently installed. It updates all titles that have a newer version and ignores the rest. Spoofing the version in the titles would break the signature and render them uninstallable.
Also chances are the traffic is SSL encrypted like it is on the 3DS and only accepts Nintendo's certificate so a custom update server would just be rejected unless we could somehow disable the SSL encryption or insert our own certificate into the verification code, and that would probably require IOSU.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Edizius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't know if it has been tried or not, but if it's anything like the 3DS, the system simply won't install older titles than what is currently installed. It updates all titles that have a newer version and ignores the rest. Spoofing the version in the titles would break the signature and render them uninstallable.
Also chances are the traffic is SSL encrypted like it is on the 3DS and only accepts Nintendo's certificate so a custom update server would just be rejected unless we could somehow disable the SSL encryption or insert our own certificate into the verification code, and that would probably require IOSU.
Ok, thanks for the fast reply. So it is not so simple as i thought

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night