Hardware At this point, is it confirmed anything related with Switch hacking must use a jig?

delete12345

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is an "Accessories" question thread.

I've been silently waiting just to see how it fares in the scene, but I gradually noticed that, now the majority of the hacking scene requires using a jig and stick it into the right Joycon's slot.

I'm just facing reality, so are we getting confirmation that, from this point in time (Sept. 25, 2018), we require using a jig, of any kind, to be put into the right Joycon's slot, in order to do the minimal hacking necessary on the Switch?

Regardless of firmware version, that is...

Unless certain firmwares do not necessarily require the jig at all. I'm not sure if that is the case...

Last edited by delete12345,

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I've been silently waiting just to see how it fares in the scene, but I gradually noticed that, now the majority of the hacking scene requires using a jig and stick it into the right Joycon's slot.

I'm just facing reality, so are we getting confirmation that, from this point in time (Sept. 25, 2018), we require using a jig, of any kind, to be put into the right Joycon's slot, in order to do the minimal hacking necessary on the Switch?

Regardless of firmware version, that is...

Unless certain firmwares do not necessarily require the jig at all. I'm not sure if that is the case...
Just use AutoRMC if you hate using jig.

Reactions: nmkd

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, there are other exploits that don't make use of a jig the most notorious being Deja Vu which requires a network connection to function as well as having a firmware of 4.1 or below in order to work. However we do not know when Deja Vu will be made publicly available. Jamais Vu's writeup has been released and works on firmwares 1.0 only but it hasn't been ported to the Switch yet. There is also the possibility of other exploits not requiring the usage of RCM (not a jig since a jig boots into RCM and RCM is part of the exploit).

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, you are correct that there are exploits which don't use the jigs, but they aren't the majority, I find.
That's because they're unreleased. Part of the reasoning is that one of these exploits, Deja Vu, may be one of the few exploits that will work on the new and upcoming Mariko Switch units since these patch the RCM-based exploit as well as possibly other unreleased exploits.

delete12345

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's because they're unreleased. Part of the reasoning is that one of these exploits, Deja Vu, may be one of the few exploits that will work on the new and upcoming Mariko Switch units since these patch the RCM-based exploit as well as possibly other unreleased exploits.
Ok, then my original question's answer would be a resounding " No".

Thanks for answering my question.

D

Deleted User

I suppose we should all hope it does get patched with Mariko, so the exploit can be released! The irony is killing me - if ninty never finds and shuts down Deja Vu, devs will never release it :rofl2:

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I don't vote for that... Better I suppose we should all hope Nintendo doesn't patch that vulnerability with Mariko and that they release the exploit very soon after the release of the new console revision...

Nintendo Switch has a lot of hardware problems, maybe Nintendo could have finally fixed specially with the power and HDMI controllers burning, nothing like having an improved revision hacked than stay stuck for the old one 4 ever and at some point in time there might not be any more hackable switches in the market, now I really have to make my Nintendo Switch to last 4 ever as buying one is like having no warranty since day one because to send to fix they will send a newer not hackable revision ;).

EDIT: Maybe its even better just not turning the console ON 4 ever and just stare at it and maybe even make a protective container with temperature\humidity control so 20 years from now its still working (if we put a new battery in) :toot::D.

Even if they fix that exploit, I just wish someone finds something new to around 1 year after Mariko release or we might be doomed before actually having a new Nintendo Switch replacement ;)...

Last edited by guily6669,

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
But that also means they have another entrypoint wich they're also not releasing seeing RCM and the webkit exploit won't work anymore so in that regard there's more than just deja vu

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you just use a jig to install AutoRCM, you no longer need the jig. The jig can be a paper clip, tin foil, a small screwdriver, a piece of wire (I find that one pulled out of a CAT5/CAT6 cable works nicely), or you can even use a staple.

I'm more interested in finding a solution that doesn't require a dongle/phone/computer to send a payload, but it's really not too much of a hassle. I'm very satisfied with everything that has already been achieved. With nothing more than a jig as described above and something to send the payload with, we're able to load game backups, edit saves, run emulators, and all sorts of other homebrew. I'd be happier if they had a working implementation of emunand, but I can't complain.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol