At this point in time why believe in god ?

BoneMonkey

The cheese stash is a lie.
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i cant believe ppl still believe in a god take a look at this lol

1187455494677rx0.jpg

BoneMonkey

The cheese stash is a lie.
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
this is what the church is teaching kids now to explain why dinosaurs exist

according to the bible the earth is only a few thousand years old but dinosaurs existed millions of years ago

yay! science !

iwakura

HHNNNNNNGGGG
Trophies
Website
flashcartreviews.com
XP
Country
United States
oh man, I'm looking foward to itech's reply that he's typing right now.

on the other hand, this is probably going to start some serious contraversy with christians claiming outrageous things left and right, so...in b4 "holy crusades"

jgu1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm guessing the majority of GBATemp is atheist(such as myself). Currently there is more science proving that God does not exist, than there is that God does exist.

In my opinion God is just an idea. How are you supposed to know that exists if he doesn't show himself to anyone. The only thing that could prove Gods existence is the coming of Jesus. However, Jesus came like what, 2000 years ago, but people have been talking about God for longer than that. It just doesn't make sense.

iTech

Trophies
Website
www.mikethespike.net
XP
Country
United States
this is what the church is teaching kids now to explain why dinosaurs exsist

according to the bibble the earth is only a few thosand years old but dinosuars exsisted millions of years ago

yay science !

I know, creationism is fucked up. But this is going too far. Jesus riding a dinosaur?

You know, the people that believe in the bible literally, are stereotypically the people that are bloodthirsty, support wars, guns, capital punishment, and Bush. That seems to be an odd combination - supporting the bible and supporting Bush (= war) don't it? But it all comes down to WHY those people believe in the bible so literally. Why do they believe in whatever the fuck some minister tells them? It's because they are stupid, naïve hardworking go-with-the-flock humans. There is no difference in accepting anything some minister tells you without thinking, and then defending that standpoint viciously, and supporting a politician that does the same. Germany, has always being a country full of these very hard-working but naïve and unintelligent masses, these "Werkmensch" that drink hard, work hard, but never think hard; which is why Hitler wasn't boo'ed off stage the first time he mentioned Jews being the enemy. Humans are primarily built to follow a leader, such as other mammals like wolves or chimps. There is an evolutionary reason for this behaviour which some Richard Dawkins book would better explain than me. However, not everyone is the same, and some people are smarter than others. A large portion of humans has better introspective/retrospective/exospective capabilities than others, and understand these mechanisms to which susceptible humans fall victim when used by unscrupulous manipulative authority figures. These people question those authorities, and the motives behind their words and deeds. In effect, they refuse to be fooled. However, those people in turn might fall victim to some other deception that they themselves are not aware of, such as pseudoscience when it is presented by an apparent authority (see Psychiatry).

Only about 1 to 2% of the world population is not deceived by anyone, and does not trust the word of *any* authority figure by default, especially during adolescence. These people would pose the biggest threat to any established power since these character traits almost always go paired with a need for grandeur and admiration. Conveniently, it is these people that are found in psychiatric institutions suffering from "Schizophrenia" or "Bipolar Disorder", where they are given treatments that damage the brain and induce hallucinations and disfiguring neuromuscular disorders that conveniently make them appear "crazy", breeding half-people that only remember to distrust authority figures and crave grandiosity while they have no way left to achieve this in the real world. One great historic example of such an undeceivable person would be Jesus Christ himself, who today, would probably have blogs/sites/films/records that denounce the government and the falsities in the world, unless noticed when these character traits started developing (during adolescence) and locked up in an institution before it came to fruitation.

jgu1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know, creationism is fucked up. But this is going too far. Jesus riding a dinosaur?

You know, the people that believe in the bible literally, are stereotypically the people that are bloodthirsty, support wars, guns, capital punishment, and Bush. That seems to be an odd combination - supporting the bible and supporting Bush (= war) don't it? But it all comes down to WHY those people believe in the bible so literally. Why do they believe in whatever the fuck some minister tells them? It's because they are stupid, naïve hardworking go-with-the-flock humans. There is no difference in accepting anything some minister tells you without thinking, and then defending that standpoint viciously, and supporting a politician that does the same. Germany, has always being a country full of these very hard-working but naïve and unintelligent masses, these "Werkmensch" that drink hard, work hard, but never think hard; which is why Hitler wasn't boo'ed off stage the first time he mentioned Jews being the enemy. Humans are primarily built to follow a leader, such as other mammals like wolves or chimps. There is an evolutionary reason for this behaviour which some Richard Dawkins book would better explain than me. However, not everyone is the same, and some people are smarter than others. A large portion of humans has better introspective/retrospective/exospective capabilities than others, and understand these mechanisms to which susceptible humans fall victim when used by unscrupulous manipulative authority figures. These people question those authorities, and the motives behind their words and deeds. In effect, they refuse to be fooled. However, those people in turn might fall victim to some other deception that they themselves are not aware of, such as pseudoscience when it is presented by an apparent authority (see Psychiatry).

Only about 1 to 2% of the world population is not deceived by anyone, and does not trust the word of *any* authority figure by default, especially during adolescence. These people would pose the biggest threat to any established power since these character traits almost always go paired with a need for grandeur and admiration. Conveniently, it is these people that are found in psychiatric institutions suffering from "Schizophrenia" or "Bipolar Disorder", where they are given treatments that damage the brain and induce hallucinations and disfiguring neuromuscular disorders that conveniently make them appear "crazy", breeding half-people that only remember to distrust authority figures and crave grandiosity while they have no way left to achieve this in the real world. One great historic example of such an undeceivable person would be Jesus Christ himself, who today, would probably have blogs/sites/films/records that denounce the government and the falsities in the world, unless noticed when these character traits started developing (during adolescence) and locked up in an institution before it came to fruitation.

I understood like 75% of that. Anyone understand all of what he said?

iwakura

HHNNNNNNGGGG
Trophies
Website
flashcartreviews.com
XP
Country
United States
this is what the church is teaching kids now to explain why dinosaurs exsist

according to the bibble the earth is only a few thosand years old but dinosuars exsisted millions of years ago

yay science !
There is an evolutionary reason for this behaviour which some Richard Dawkins book would better explain than me.

"The Blind Watchmaker: Why the Evidence of Evolution Reveals a Universe Without Design" explained it beautifully. On the other hand, I would just like to say that I loved your post =]

and @JPH, yes, its hilarious, but to a 6 yr old kid in a devout christian family, this holds more truth than you'd imagine.

RayorDragonFall

I see you've played knifey-spoony before.
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't really believe in God, but I know why people do.
God is a sense of security, the idea of someone watching out for you, life after death. Personally I find it hard to believe in "him", but it's rather scary thinking that when you die, thats it. If God doesn't exist, there's no coming back, no seeing your family again, no peace. Just rotting flesh and bone.
Maybe it's because I'm young, but I'm terrified of death. I don't want to stop breathing, I want to live forever, live with my family and friends. I don't want to stop learning or laughing. I want to live, even if its a hard life.
The reason I want to believe in God is because I don't want to face the fact that people I care about that are dead do not exist at all anymore. I want to believe that the soul continues on, but if God doesn't exist, well... thats the end.
The only thing I've been able to find that sort of reassures me is that I've realised that if you make an impact on the world, or on the people around you, you still live on, even if its just your memory. But honestly: I wish there was a "heaven".

Maybe this makes no sense, oh well.. I tried.

modshroom128

Trophies
Website
modshroom128.imgur.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't really believe in God, but I know why people do.
God is a sense of security, the idea of someone watching out for you, life after death. Personally I find it hard to believe in "him", but it's rather scary thinking that when you die, thats it. If God doesn't exist, there's no coming back, no seeing your family again, no peace. Just rotting flesh and bone.
Maybe it's because I'm young, but I'm terrified of death. I don't want to stop breathing, I want to live forever, live with my family and friends. I don't want to stop learning or laughing. I want to live, even if its a hard life.
The reason I want to believe in God is because I don't want to face the fact that people I care about that are dead do not exist at all anymore. I want to believe that the soul continues on, but if God doesn't exist, well... thats the end.
The only thing I've been able to find that sort of reassures me is that I've realised that if you make an impact on the world, or on the people around you, you still live on, even if its just your memory. But honestly: I wish there was a "heaven".

Maybe this makes no sense, oh well.. I tried.
im young, death doesint terrify me, its just something you have to accept or else you wont be able to sleep at night.

oh, and im not religious, but believing in an all omniscient being simply builds morality in my own personal character.
and i dont have to be a stolid god fearing christian to believe that there is an all mighty being out their.

religion (especialy christianity) tends to be all hypocrisy and lies.

TaMs

Randomizer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Never heard of jesus who rides dinosaurs. But i believe it! I can imagine jesus riding on the jungle with mowgli. They would be ideal pair
"New force is rising... child of wolfs and child of dinosaurs have finally joined theyre forces to destroy all good in the world.
-Legolas: "I like challenges".
The epic battle between good and evil starts in november."

noamkot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
I totally respect people's beliefs even when they make very little sense (that's the case more often than not).
I don't mind when people mumble about God, Jesus, Buddha, Muhammed or whatever they like, even though personally I know that this world has no sovereign and no greater being resides anywhere beyond my perception.
I do demand, though, that people of different creeds respect others and not see them as objects for conversions and manipulations.
I believe missionary work, of all kinds, should be made illegal and that any religious activity involving minors must get their parents consent or else be considered criminal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night