At any point during the downgrade + CFW process, will I have to format the system itself?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by zephor, Jan 8, 2016.

1. zephor
    OP

zephor Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 24, 2012
    United States
    Been reading up on the different processes everywhere, but I haven't seen this question answered yet. I know the SD card will need to be formatted, but that is fine (I can backup all my current games and saves, then transfer them back when the process is done). Unfortunately, if I format the system, that means I'll lose all the games tied to the hardware, right? I'm primarily worried about my MH4U game + save...

2. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    You have to format the system to unlink emunand from sysnand.

Howerver you can back up your games installed, your savegames and keep using them in emunand after the format is done since emunand will keep using your base sysnad.

Also unlinking nands is not strictly obligatory, is more of a convinient choice.

Last edited by Tony_93, Jan 8, 2016
    jscjml likes this.
  3. Townsperson

Townsperson GBAtemp Fan

Dec 7, 2015
    United States
    You can back up saves, and any downloaded games can be redownload from the eShop. If you're really only worried about a single game and save, you shouldn't have much trouble backing the appropriate things up and downgrading.

4. zephor
    OP

zephor Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 24, 2012
    United States
    How would the backing up process work for games and saves? I'm assuming the games can simply just be re-downloaded? So that means my account will still be linked to the system?

5. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    Just copy everything from your microSD and copy it to your PC for now and follow the tutorials.

No need to break your head trying to figure it out for now.

6. zephor
    OP

zephor Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 24, 2012
    United States
    Okay, I'll take your word for it.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Also, as a side question if anyone could answer it for me:

Right now my N3DS XL is on 10.1 with themehax. I was going to update to 10.3 before attempting the downgrade, since I heard that's been less error prone. I'm pretty sure themehax wont work after the update, so is there any other exploit I can setup before updating, so I can run the downgrade still?

Last edited by zephor, Jan 8, 2016
  7. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    Whenever a turorial tells you to format your system to inlink your nands you can make another backup by copying everything your microSD to your computer...

8. rasputin

rasputin GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 7, 2008
    United States
    I think you can format the emunand system to achieve unlinking too

9. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    Emunand is an exact copy of your sysnand.

To unlink your nands you will format sysnand while your memory is out of your system (so you don't lose anything) and after the format you will not be able to keep using the same downloaded games and saves in sysnand.

But we said that emunand is an exact copy of your sysnand right? Yes, so your current games and saves will be accesed by emunand.

10. Luckkill4u

Luckkill4u 4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jul 13, 2008
    Canada
    Insomnia
    With my N3DS I got frankenfirmware due to the downgrade. I had problems with updating emunand because of this so i had to format my sysnand before i made my emunand and upgrade it to 9.5. Luckly i was smart and backed up all my saves so all i had to do is login to nnid and download the eshop games again. I'm sure my 9.5 emunand isnt frankenfirmware anymore.

11. zephor
    OP

zephor Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 24, 2012
    United States
    Thanks for the help everyone! If someone could look at my 2nd question in post #6, I'd be super grateful.

12. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    Use browserhax 10.3 to install Menuhax 10.3

13. zephor
    OP

zephor Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 24, 2012
    United States
    So there IS an entry from fresh 10.3?

14. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    I just posted it above your comment...

15. zephor
    OP

zephor Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 24, 2012
    United States
    Update on this since I need some help now..

Was able to successfully downgrade to 9.2, but I had to format the 3DS to do so. Because of this, I'm no longer linked to my NNID. I haven't done anything else yet, except verify that I can get into homebrew still. What would I have to do from here to get access to the games I had purchased with my account?

16. RoyalLemons

RoyalLemons Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2016
    i MAY be wrong here as I have not needed to format my 3DS at all except for separating NANDS. When I formatted my 3ds, it told me I could relink my NNID by going to system settings, clicking the tab at the top of the bottom screen and connecting an existing ID. IIRC

Whether that is an actual thing and works at all is another story entirely.

17. Madotsuki

Madotsuki Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2016
    United States
    Can badge arcade badges be similarly backed up and restores on EmuNand after downgrading?

18. zephor
    OP

zephor Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 24, 2012
    United States
    Still unsure on the process of putting the game back on the SD card though. Not sure where I would need to place it so I can actually access it. I have the few games that I want backed up. Just need to figure out what to do, to link my NNID and then transfer the game back over.

EDIT: I at least want to be able to update my games properly, without the need to find cia's for each one of them. I can always find a cia for each of the games that I purchased, anyway.

SOO, I got my NNID linked, but I can't download anything. I updated with NVER to -28 on emunand, and tried going into the eShop with FMP and HANS. Keep getting 007-2404 error code.

Last edited by zephor, Jan 9, 2016