ASUS F80L has Chipset GM965??

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Chris_Skylock, Apr 10, 2010.

Apr 10, 2010
  1. Chris_Skylock
    OP

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    I'm planning to go 64bit this time for Windows 7 Home Premium but my laptop (Asus F80L) has only 2GB of RAM and according to Intel, the chipset can only handle upto 2GB of RAM as it's a GL960. According to the documentation of Intel, the 2GB limit is affected by the following CPU and my CPU is a Core2Duo T5450. According to Asus, F80L can handle 3GB of RAM but it's debatable wether Intel has a false statement.

AS I read the system requirements of a 64bit Windows, I am fine with 2GB of RAM but I do need atleast 4GB of RAM. I don't have any isuues regarding programs or drivers if I go 64bit, only the RAM I'm having issues with.

It's a risky situation if I will test the 3GB limit by Asus and I will try to ignore Intel's documentation. Some says 3GB works for them but going 4GB will result in Blue Screen.

So, my question is: "Is 2GB of RAM barely enough for 64bit assuming you are a Photoshop user and Video editor?"

Regards,
    Chris

Here's a situation from a user using Win7 Ultimate 64bit with 3GB of RAM. I do not know if he/she has a CPU in Intel's documentation.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

Intel's documentation on GL960 Chipset
    http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

Asus's spec sheet of F80L
    http://asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=Ym...specifications

---

UPDATE:

According to the Intel Update, I am using an Intel GM965 Graphics but according to Asus, F80L has GL960 Chipset. As I read the website, GM965 has both Graphics and Memory. Do I have a Chipset GM965 and I can go to 4GB?

http://ark.intel.com/chipset.aspx?familyID=28117

I found it strange that the GL960 Chipset doesn't have any output but my laptop has a VGA output. So I truly have a Chipset GM965 instead of GL960.

2. seedvt

Member seedvt GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    No point in getting Windows 7 64-bit if you only have 2GB. The upper limit for 32-bit approaches 4GB, total addressable memory being ~3.3 GB if you take into account other hardware.

The only real reason for getting 64-bit is to exceed 4GB and up to a very large number (In the PB area.)

3. Raki

Member Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    Isn't GM965 the Santa Rosa Chipset? If so you should be able to use up to 4GB of memory
    Look up what graphics you use. If it's the Intel GMA X3100 you should habe the GM965 Chipset. Or just try Everest or some other tool.
    But keep in mind what seedvt said,64 Bit doesn't really give you an advantage if you do not plan on using >3GB RAM and 512MB+ dedicated VRAM

4. Chris_Skylock
    OP

Philippines
    That's what it said on the detector but the website said it's a GL960 which is a 2GB limit. ASUS website said a 3GB limit for GL650 but look at the chipset the detector told me.

I remember reading the brochure that the laptop we're buying is a Santa Rosa type. But the ASUS website is confusing. They said all F80L are GL960 but mine is a GM965.

Perhaps I should be fine with 4GB afterall.

---

UPDATE:

According to EVEREST:

Motherboard Chipset Intel Crestline-GML GL960
    Adapter String Mobile Intel® GMA X3100
    Maximum Memory Amount 2 GB

What the hell?

according to th Intel Chipset detector
    Detected Chipset:
    Intel® GM965 Express Chipset

Im now getting confused

5. Raki

Germany
    according to wikipedia the GL 960 chipset doesn't official support C2D CPUs....maybe Asus did some not that official thing here to cut some costs?

6. Chris_Skylock
    OP

Philippines
    Strange. All Ive seen F80L are those Pentium Dual Cores.

Perhaps Im putting another 1GB RAM in my laptop.

I remember reading the brochure SANTA ROSA and it's a Centrino laptop.

This is one weird laptop we purchased.

If I can burn 2 RAM sticks (1GB and 2GB), the truth will be told. Im testing another 1GB. Is that enough for 64bit?

Which one to follow - The EVEREST report or the Intel detector. both has different result with one being a GL960 and the other a GM965. My laptop got the X3100 graphics and it's a T5450 Core2Duo.

Sadly, I cant burn for another 2GB RAM as Im barely having to burn for a US$150 Windows 7 Home Premium

7. steve-p

Member steve-p GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    everest is junk, it just reads the bios.

use a linux live-bootlisk and see what it actually detects.
    Linux doesnt use the bios - it scans the hardware directly.

8. Chris_Skylock
    OP

Philippines
    I just bought a 2GB RAM and at first, it gave me bluescreen. After switching it from slot 2 to slot 1, and the original 2GB asus branded from 1 to 2, it finally worked.

So my F80L Laptop is actually a GM965 instead of Asus's claimed GL960 Chipset.

It's now 4GB physically and right now it's detected as 3GB but fear not. It'll be a FULL 4GB when I install a 64bit Windows 7 Home Premium

9. Raki

Germany
    So ANUS did some generic BIOS for multiple models I guess...
    It's like my ANUS Laptop which installs a bluetooth driver for a bluetooth device it doesn't have...

10. Chris_Skylock
    OP

Philippines
    The lesson here is to read the brochure you are getting before going to the company's website. Read every single specs in the brochure before buying and understanding it.

The Santa Rosa part has reminded me that the Asus F80L it was advertised was actually a Centrino Santa Rosa and I was so shocked to see the latest Centrino (at those time) in a cheap laptop.

So yeah, it's kinda BS to see it differently advertised and confusing people if they go to their website for support.

Intel Chipset detector and www.crucial.com has gave me the judgement that my F80L laptop has a GM965 Chipset and can hold upto 4GB of RAM. Though Crucial website said that all F80L is a GL960 and can only have 2GB of RAM but using their detector has changed the result. strange.

Perhaps not all F80L are GL960 as mine is from Philippines. Just double check.