Gaming Asus eeepc 4G or Everex Cloudbook?

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You see, i want an ultraportable, but i cannot decide between these two.
The Cloudbook's gOS rocket is tempting, as it is relatively like Mac OSX. Also the 30 GB hardrive is good.
But the EEEPC is like full Linux, and i know that i will be able to do lots of stuff like install cool things. It also has a SSD, and three usb 2.0 ports.
They are both the same price but i do not know which to get.

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
uhh no offense, but they both kinda suck >.<

if u want to go for ultraportable, i suggest gettin sumthing a few pounds heavier but ALOT better. though if cost is an issue, go for these ones. personally i think asus is the best laptop company (second to alienware of course) so go with that.

EDIT: sc ftw! lol

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The problem is, they suck because they are ultraportables. Price is an issue, or else i would have gotten a macbook. I already have a heavy gaming monster mac, and i do not need a hp or dell stuff. that is why i want one. Also I found out i could play SC on the EEE. Which is pretty awesome for an ultraportable. I want something to browse the web and do ordinary things for a low cost. I already have an ipod classic, so i will not shell out 300-400 for a new ipod touch or iphone. The ultraportables will allow me to do stuff on the subway like finishing my final exit project XD
just kidding :Ph43r:

Always nice to see a SC fan anyways.

Quantum

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've also been looking at low-cost ultraportables, and two that look very promising are the MSI Wind and the ECS G10IL, which come out later this month. The HP Mini-note seems pretty good as well.

Mars

Radioactive Propaganda Minister
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
da_head said:

if u want to go for ultraportable, i suggest gettin sumthing a few pounds heavier but ALOT better.

That defeats the purpose of it being "ultraportable".

EDIT: In your case, either portable should suffice, as you are looking to do basic functions. I would go for the EEEPC due to its larger user base.

You might also want to consider other ultraportables, like the ones Quantum mentioned.

go185

Trophies
XP
Country
Since the Cloudbook has a HDD, it is more prone to getting damaged and to stop functioning
The EEE's 4GB SSD is both speedier and (since it has no moving parts), is not prone to be damaged easily.

The Cloudbook has a VIA processor, which is known to be VERY slow
The EEE's processor is 900mhz and can be overclocked to 1ghz (I have done it, works fine)

Cloudbook has no proper touch-pad-mouse thingy (it has a small area about the size of your thumb in the top right corner to act as a mouse)
The EEE has a full-blown mouse touch-pad

Just some of the many differences...

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Mars said:
da_head said:

if u want to go for ultraportable, i suggest gettin sumthing a few pounds heavier but ALOT better.

well i know..but is it really worth it to incredibly sacrifice performance for JUST a few pounds of weight? :S

my friend has a 12 inch asus. its light as hell, and a dual core. (though it cost him quite a bit rofl)

go185

Trophies
XP
Country
Quantum said:
I've also been looking at low-cost ultraportables, and two that look very promising are the MSI Wind and the ECS G10IL, which come out later this month. The HP Mini-note seems pretty good as well.

The problem is that all of these ultraportables have slow-ass VIA processors (except the EEE and the MSI Wind, which feature Intel processors, and I think 1 other ultraportable has a AMD Geode processor, but don't remember which one)

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
da_head said:
Mars said:
da_head said:

well i know..but is it really worth it to incredibly sacrifice performance for JUST a few pounds of weight? :S
Yes? Its not just pounds, they're tiny, tiny enough to take with you like you would take a PDA.

Anyway, get the eeepc. If you so desperately wanted you could install gOS on eee pc but I wouldn't reccomend it. With a SSD that the eee has, its a LOT faster bootup

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GQ_66F42JNE&feature=related

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just held an EEE PC for the first time. If you are going to do any 'typing' at least get something like the MSI wind which is has a slightly more normal size keyboard. As for any real typing might I suggest spending more money and getting a 12.1" laptop? I'm personally looking into those around here and held a few a few hours ago (and worked a little with em). I have to say it feels like the size for portables on which you might also do something more then browsing to me
smile.gif

Mars

Radioactive Propaganda Minister
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
da_head said:
Mars said:
da_head said:

Yes.
BakuFunn said that he will be using for mostly basic tasks. There are tons of more powerful laptops that I'm sure he is fully aware of, he said himself that
he already has powerful PCs. Thus, the whole point of this purchase is an portable laptop.

I also forgot that the Cloudbook has a HDD. I'd go with the EEEPC, its SSD is much more suitable for a ultraportable. And the processor, as far as I know is better.

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys im going to get my EEE today. It is totally awesome.
And yeah, i did want something small and powerful for its size. I guess ill go with the EEE.
I do not want my new to be EEE to run F.E.A.R. or some uber awesome PC game (can't think of one, is Crysis a pc game?)
But that would be uber cool.

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
BakuFunn said:
Thanks guys im going to get my EEE today. It is totally awesome.
And yeah, i did want something small and powerful for its size. I guess ill go with the EEE.
I do not want my new to be EEE to run F.E.A.R. or some uber awesome PC game (can't think of one, is Crysis a pc game?)
But that would be uber cool.

yep crysis is a pc game. and u'll be happy with ur asus.
smile.gif
enjoy

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
At the store im buying at they have a window xp one pre-installed, but i also want linux. It will be a pain to install linux, but easier to install xp, so im gonna get the linux version. I just watched that video, and that is retarrded. 2.5 minuts to start up? are you joking me? That is the only point i need to get an asus. also the asus is almost twice the speed of the Cloudbook. Im gonna go get it in a couple of hours.
Thanks guys

Hit

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't know Everex at all but I wouldn't go for an factory that has as cloned site from apple

notnarb

Not narbing it up
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Unless you can't wait very long or theres a significant change in price, the MSI Wind is the way to got. It has a full sized keyboard, a 10 inch screen, an atom processor (which means an increase in speed and efficiency), and the linux version (as far as we know) will only cost $400 all in a package slightly bigger then the EEE. That being said, the EEE is a fantastic machine, very sturdy, and not outclassed until the MSI Wind came along. I'd advise against the cloudbook, nonconventional mouse, no wrist resting area, and ugly as sin.

mhkwong

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
get the eeepc. I modified mine. I disabled 1 of 3 usb ports and added 2x 32gb flash drive. i used two flashdrives. but you can add any other usd devices on to it. (eg. bluetooth)

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well i should look into it. I am whipping up a ggogle now, and looking at the specs.It seems i might get that, but the problem mostly i care about is speed, boot speed, and battery life.
Memory is also very desirable. Is it a SSD?

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
notnarb said:
Unless you can't wait very long or theres a significant change in price, the MSI Wind is the way to got. It has a full sized keyboard, a 10 inch screen, an atom processor (which means an increase in speed and efficiency), and the linux version (as far as we know) will only cost $400 all in a package slightly bigger then the EEE. That being said, the EEE is a fantastic machine, very sturdy, and not outclassed until the MSI Wind came along. I'd advise against the cloudbook, nonconventional mouse, no wrist resting area, and ugly as sin.
Except its the Silverthorne Atom, which benchmarks show to be 1/2 performance of a Celeron.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple