Asus EEE PC 4 GB Surf Internet Question.

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by SavageWaffle, Jun 1, 2008.

Jun 1, 2008
  1. SavageWaffle
    OP

Member SavageWaffle GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    So im still planning on buying a Asus EEE PC 4 GB Surf Model. Im going to install Windows XP on it, but afraid the built in Wireless program wont work because im installing XP. By Wireless Program im saying the program that detects the router, and gives internet. Will it still work if i put XP on it? Or do i need to do it by modem.

2. notnarb

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

You're thinking of buying something new every week aren't you?

on topic: Asus has all the drivers for XP available on their website and on the dvd included with each computer. You just need to put the driver files on a usb drive to make em work

3. SavageWaffle
    OP

United States
    No, i was considering buying it for over 3 months now. I know but if i do install XP will the Wireless Connection finder be gone or yea,

4. Flooded

Banned Flooded Banned

United States
    Its called a driver. And yes they have your Wlan driver (Wireless driver) on their site.

5. Glacius0

Member Glacius0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    I have (and am now using) an EEE PC. Wireless works fine in windows XP. As mentioned, you will get a driver DVD which is very easy to use and installs all the XP drivers for you. The EEE PC supports Windows XP completely. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

A few tips:
    You need an external USB dvd drive to install Windows XP (there are other ways but they are complicated).
    You may want to buy an 8 gb SD card like this one: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10679
    You should use an application called eeectl, which allows you to unlock the full speed of the CPU

6. SavageWaffle
    OP

United States
  7. TheWingless

Member TheWingless Wafuu~

United States
    I think it means the cpu(or maybe the entire pc?) is "overclocked" or it's set above its normal speed so it's working harder. Most people overclock gpus and cpus for gaming.

8. Venko

Member Venko GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Why turn a beautiful Asus EE PC into a Microsoft Nightmare? [​IMG]

It wasn't designed to use such an Operating System and the later revisions with XP are just due to corporate pressure.

9. SavageWaffle
    OP

United States
    Well, it IS my choice =P

10. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Yeah it was.

11. Glacius0

Netherlands
    Newegg is really cheap but doesn't ship to my country unfortunately. Where you can find eeectl? Typing eeectl in google, your first hit would be this: http://www.cpp.in/dev/eeectl/

The program does 3 things:
    -EEE PC has a 900 mhz CPU but it only runs at around 633 mhz. This program let's you run it on 900mhz.
    -You have control over the fan in your EEE PC, which makes the EEE PC more quiet when you want to. I recommend leaving the fan on when you are running at 900 mhz though.
    -More brightness settings for your screen. You can make your screen very bright.

12. SavageWaffle
    OP

United States
    If i do install this eeectl on my Eee PC, will it damage my Eee PC and make it over heat? EVEN if it has the fan on? Or should i just buy some laptop fan?(which i find useless, but if it works, then il buy). And will it void my warrenty?

13. Glacius0

Netherlands
    It won't overheat. eeectl is made in such a way that you cannot overheat it without manually adding extra settings (which is done by editing a .ini file). However it is recommended to put the fan on a higher speed when you clock the CPU to full speed.

14. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    To anyone else installing eee pc without a DVD drive, I uploaded an installer of all of the eee pc drivers

http://mihd.net/q5tnlbr