Astronomers witnessed a star torn apart by a black hole

jelmew

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
FiReFoX_7 said:
I mean the black hole has a very powerful force that no light can escape from it.
wtf.gif

Say hellow to hawking-radiation.
rofl.gif

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
TechnoWorm said:
If there were aliens living in a planet(a planet older than earth) near that star,
does that mean, At this time they're just seeing how Earth gets created?
No, because any planet near that star would have been destroyed along with the star itself 4 billion years ago. There would be no more planet, let alone aliens that could see us.

Shockwind

SHINEEE!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Bladexdsl said:
get a good look at what happened to the star cos that's us in 2012
smileipb2.png
Nah. I don't believe in the whole "2012" prophesy or whatever it is. And I don't think a black hole will be very near to Earth in 2012.
smileipb2.png

Shockwind

SHINEEE!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Bladexdsl said:
what so it's gonna be planet X hitting us instead?
laugh.gif
Even though I don't believe the whole "2012" prophesy. That's what I'm thinking when it's 2012. But I don't think "Planet-X" or 'Nibiru" even exist at all.
unsure.gif

Wow, a star sucked by a black hole. That's... interesting.
ohmy.gif

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The guide is wrong! If you hold your breath in space, your lungs will rupture! What a fatal mistake for travelers!!! Don't aliens have editors?!

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Devante said:
The guide is wrong! If you hold your breath in space, your lungs will rupture! What a fatal mistake for travelers!!! Don't aliens have editors?!
My edition is quite old. I sent for the new edition a while ago, I expect it in a hundred or so years.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jelmew said:
FiReFoX_7 said:
I mean the black hole has a very powerful force that no light can escape from it.
wtf.gif

Say hellow to hawking-radiation.
rofl.gif

Erm nope, that's something else. This is a feeding black hole so the radiation is coming off of the material falling into it before it reaches the event horizon and been fired away at the poles at very, very high speed (less than 0.005% under light speed).

Just a quick for the people who find the whole it happened 4 billion year ago shit hard to get, as far as the light itself is concerned no time at all has passed.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
FiReFoX_7 said:
Bladexdsl said:
what so it's gonna be planet X hitting us instead?
laugh.gif
Even though I don't believe the whole "2012" prophesy. That's what I'm thinking when it's 2012. But I don't think "Planet-X" or 'Nibiru" even exist at all.
unsure.gif

ohmy.gif
oh so another millennium bug fiasco than?
rofl2.gif

Shockwind

SHINEEE!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Bladexdsl said:
FiReFoX_7 said:
Bladexdsl said:
What, so it's gonna be Planet X hitting us instead?
laugh.gif

Even though I don't believe the whole "2012" prophesy, that's what I'm thinking when it's 2012. But I don't think "Planet-X" or 'Nibiru" even exist at all.
unsure.gif

ohmy.gif

Oh, so another millennium bug fiasco then?
rofl2.gif
No!
mad.gif

Another astronomer friend of mine, Bill Keel, is also a BAUT member. He read the thread, and used the SARA 1-meter telescope at Kitt Peak, Arizona, to observe the burst:
sara_keel_grb110328a.jpg

The picture on the left is his observation on April 1, and the right one's last April 4. The position of GRB 110328A is circled. As you can see, it was pretty faint. It has apparently faded somewhat over the three day interval — which is expected; the initial event (a star getting torn apart! I can’t get over that!) released a huge flash of energy which faded over time. It’s hard to see in the two images because the burst looks about the same brightness, but the second observation had a longer exposure time (you can see fainter stars in it), so the source did fade.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
phoenix1234 said:
QUOTE said:
it’s nearly four billion light years away*

* Or, to be pedantic, it took nearly four billion years for the light from the explosion to get here. i doubt our galaxy was even formed then
unsure.gif

As if the event itself isn't awe-inspired enough, yeah, that's a pretty crazy notion to wrap one's head around. We are blessed to bear witness to such unimaginable beauty and power.
bow.gif

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
its a beautiful thing even when its exploding. I dont expect something like this to happen to us unless we are all dead.
What i imagine is the end of the universe, more like is there an end? true its expanding but at time t, there is a certain end St

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Jamstruth said:
Devante said:
My edition is quite old. I sent for the new edition a while ago, I expect it in a hundred or so years.
Just don't plug yourself into the Total Perspective Vortex, whatever you do.

And for the record, if Earth were to be consumed by a black hole, everyone on the planet would be dead before we even knew it was there.

Z

Zorua

Extremely interesting though what freaks me out is that it actually happened 4 billion years ago.
blink.gif

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Zorua said:
Extremely interesting though what freaks me out is that it actually happened 4 billion years ago.
blink.gif
That freaks you out? Consider this: 4 billion years ago the inhabitants of that doomed planet wouldn't even be able to see the Earth because the light arriving from the Earth's location would be 8 billion years old. At that time, of course, the Earth didn't exist.

Z

Zorua

Snailface said:
Zorua said:
blink.gif
That freaks you out? Consider this: 4 billion years ago the inhabitants of that doomed planet wouldn't even be able to see the Earth because the light arriving from the Earth's location would be 8 billion years old. At that time, of course, the Earth didn't exist.

Umm, that was a star? How can it have inhabitants?

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Zorua said:
Snailface said:
Zorua said:
blink.gif

Umm, that was a star? How can it have inhabitants?
Ok, you're right Zorua, there's no confirmed planets here. But there could've been and they would not have been able to see us. (We have to presume they had good telescopes too
tongue.gif
) It's late. Need sleep.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning