Hacking Assuuuuuming the rumors are true about a new DS...

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok this is not specifically to discuss if the rumors are true entirely. But, I am wondering, if they are indeed bringing a new DS out, and it is true the slot 2 is being turfed, will this impact you in any meaningful way?

Myself, I don't play ANY slot 2 requiring games. I have the slot 2 ram that I got with the Nintendo Web Browser, but so what (I hardly use the Web Browser).

But it's clear the slot 2 option is big with a lot of the DS mob. And being suddenly unable to use any of the slot 2 add on options in the new DS I have been hearing about is, certainly going to irk all the slot 2 using fans.

Is it likely the "need" for slot 2 devices can evolve into new hardware?
How much is actually dependent on these slot 2 hardware add on items?

It will be no doubt frustrating to all the crowd that uses the slot 2 options to see the new doodad not able to indulge them.

A local friend is expecting some manner of announcement to arrive with E3.
Myself, I am not planning to replace a perfectly fine DSLite just to indulge a new model without some massive hardware option improvements. But I am at least in no danger of disappointment being told slot 2 isn't making the scene in the next item.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really don't see how they could eliminate slot2. You have the RAM pack for the browser and the rumble pak, both of which would become completely useless if they eliminated slot2. Besides, the DS actually uses the ARM7 when in DS mode, so they would be shooting themselves in the foot to remove GBA functionality.

At least that's the way I see it.

I still play GBA games on my DS.....I'm hoping that when Hardian starts up with the "GBA Gems" in his "upcoming games" posts that I'll find a few new games to add to my SCminiSD.

If they DO remove slot2, then the system would have to be a significant upgrade to the current DS in terms of power and graphics before I'd even consider buying it.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
I still play GBA games on my DS.....I'm hoping that when Hardian starts up with the "GBA Gems" in his "upcoming games" posts that I'll find a few new games to add to my SCminiSD.
It seems that the GAB Gems bit was added to the newly revived Temper Post and is really well done. At any rate, I agree with you there, Nintendo won't remove the GBA Cart, not only because some things require the RAM pack, it would also remove the rumble function as well but what anout the many games that use a slot 2 GBA cart for extra features? For one, Nintendo's cash cow Pokemon uses the GBA slot to transfer pokemon over, also other games uses it as well such as the Phoenix Wright series and so on.

J

Jackreyes

You also seem to be forgetting the new Guitar Hero game coming out with slot 2 button-y thing.

They wouldn't have even considered this if they thought Nintendo were making a new DS and scrapping the slot-2

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
This is the longest Nintendo has gone in over ten years without either releasing or announcing a new handheld or redesign of one. Not since between the original Game Boy and Game Boy Pocket.

Don't count on anything except new colors for a long time. Sales are too strong. They've learned their lesson about cannibalizing sales by making an announcement while the current model was selling well, announcing GBA less than two years into GBC's life really hurt it.

Prophet

Resident Black Militant
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Would it be out of the question for them to remove the slot 2 but leave a small input at the bottom of the ds? Something along the size of say a mini-b usb. Add some spots for an optional adapter to clip on and we'd be good to go. Kind of like whats at the top of the psp that allows the optional camera to clip on. If they eliminate slot 2 I think this is the most likely way they'll do it, it would allow them to cut down on the size and sell all of us an extra peripheral. Who knows what else they could use the small input for too.

chuckstudios

Putting the pro in procrastination
Trophies
Website
www.schlarp.com
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
I really don't see how they could eliminate slot2. You have the RAM pack for the browser and the rumble pak, both of which would become completely useless if they eliminated slot2. Besides, the DS actually uses the ARM7 when in DS mode, so they would be shooting themselves in the foot to remove GBA functionality.

At least that's the way I see it.

If they DO remove slot2, then the system would have to be a significant upgrade to the current DS in terms of power and graphics before I'd even consider buying it.

Wintermute, the creator of devkitPro, contends that Nintendo could easily emulate the ARM7 due to the fact that all DS games feature more or less the same ARM7 binary with the same functions implemented.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Well, I believe that when they decide to release new version, it might be slot 2-less, and with smaller screens (same as GBA Micro) to keep it small and compact (there isn't anything they can do to make it smaller than Lite, and keep both slots..)
So it's a possibility they decide to go for no backwards compatibility (and I don't think they would mind dropping support for a few games or applications, to redesign it so drastically), and it would sell great even without slot 2..Just as Micro without GB and GBC games compatibility..

And I would surely miss slot 2, but I believe I would buy it just for NDS gaming, especially if it would be extra small..

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A few things MUST be said:

First of all, Nintendo will NOT be releasing a new DS anytime soon, they are seling way too well.

Secondly, if it were to be announced it would indeed be at E3, and the speculation people are getting at with that is that Nintendo said that they had DS related news for this E3, but weren't specific, people are ASSUMING it's a new DS, but don't KNOW so.

Another thing to note is that they probably wouldn't drop GBA slots so soon, however it does just add on to the price at the moment (Gives you some nice peripheral abilities though... although if they have a new sort of media, slot-1 will end up doing that).

If they do, we'll just have to wait to see what it is, but they've already announced that they're not looking to make anything new until 2010 since they're selling so well.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What exactly does slot 2 do at the hardware level, that can't be done with new hardware?

Nintendo doesn't have to care by the way that you have bought non Nintendo made hardware that gets made useless.
Aside from my ram cart I got with my Nintendo Web Browser, what else has Nintendo actually made for slot 2? I ask, because aside from games, I am unaware of any items.

My friend mentioned an sd option. That was all he mentioned though, and that's sort of vague.

A cosmetic redesign would be worthless in my view. I don't want the thing smaller, or thinner or physically altered to look cuter. None of that is worth over 100 bucks to me.
More power at the processing level is useful.
More functional is useful ie being able to play more media choices more capably.

But considering Nintendo's feelings for our ad hoc carts that allow us to play more than just games, I can't see them making the job easier.
Then again, I heard Nintendo doesn't actually make money on the sale of DS units. Maybe taking over the market for non game media options and hardware for it would be profitable for them.
Wouldn't it be nice if you didn't have to wonder if cart X was any good, or about to be updated, or genuine and not a China fake or clone? I'd pay a bit more at a retailer to not need to ponder who made it and if it was any good.

It would be nice if the Nintendo DS was a multi media doodad by design, not by accident.

Flameburst

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think that nintendo also made a rumble pack for the slot-2 since so many of their game have rumble and there's no other way to get a rumble pack other than using one from slot 2.

tsampiras

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Forgetting the Camera (face training) and the slide controller (Mag kid : slide adventure) which i both own. (japanese but none the less)

Rascal

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
And the new paddle controller for Arkanoid. Like many have said in this thread and others, there are too many NEW slot-2 accessories coming out. Nintendo would be foolish to get rid of it.

Truliche

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ecuador
With the release of such a high profile game like Guitar Hero that requires the slot-2 to even play the game I don't see Nintendo ever getting rid of the Slot-2 for the DS.

In fact, I don't see Nintendo redesigning the extremely well selling DS for a very long time still.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Truliche said:
With the release of such a high profile game like Guitar Hero that requires the slot-2 to even play the game I don't see Nintendo ever getting rid of the Slot-2 for the DS.

In fact, I don't see Nintendo redesigning the extremely well selling DS for a very long time still.

Which all makes perfect sense.

Are we sure Nintendo makes perfect sense?
smile.gif

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As others have said, I really doubt that they will be doing anything drastic like removing the GBA slot just yet, the Slot-2 is now used by a handful of peripherals available worldwide, not just in Japan. That being said, I don't know too many people that still play GBA games on their DS's anymore either. I own a Micro for that.

That being said, I could see a design further down the road that would implement the following: a camera, built in rumble/motion detection, and multi-touch screen. Probably not till the NDS2, not really a NDS to NDSLite transition, more like the initial departure from a GBA to an NDS. More RAM, a faster processor, and the ability to store smaller games (VC like) on the device itself will probably bridge the gap between the PSP and the NDS, not that there needs to be one, but because the manufacturing price will continue to drop, and eventually maybe 2011 or something, we'd see a new handheld, that is still backwards compatible with the DS, just not some of the peripherals, but stuff like rumble would be emulated in the device itself. Just a thought anyhow.

ben_not_benny

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
Canada
I don't think there would be a redesign, since the Lite is already very compact.

I think a new handheld would most likely be next, but we'll have to wait. Who knows? The next handheld might not even be a DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn