Hacking Assistance Required with first-time 3DS Modding

Shadownade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey everyone, some of you might have seen me post up on /hbg/.

I've been having some crazy issues with installing anything and everything on my
3DS LL in an attempt to play a certain game. (You guys know what it is, or are probably playing it...)

I'm on 10.4.0-29J (using a Japanese O3DS XL)

Basically, I get stuck at the downgrading portion, with all my downgrading files being verified as GOOD according
to the SafeSysUpdater. Having both used the SysDowngrader and PlaiSysUpdater on multiple occasions with it always freezing at:

"Checking for am:u...
Did not get am:u handle!
Attempting svchax..."

OoT3DHax doesn't work for me (something about the home screen ropbin before crashing to the home screen - I'm using an Australian cartridge on the Japanese system, running it via the region free launcher), but I shouldn't need it seeing as I can get into Browserhax, right?

Menuhax doesn't seem to work for me either - freezing at the 'downloading config' section.

What do I do so I can continue my downgrade to install CFW and eventually play that one game?
(
It's the Pokémon one.)

Thanks for any help in advance.

cravas

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm using the one with that comes with the 'starter' in Plailect's guide.
Start the guide and where it mentions the mtheall browserhax site, use this mirror instead:
http://3ds.mordor.space/3dsbrowserhax_auto.php

Install Menuhax as the guide instructs you and then try to downgrade to 9.2

If you manage to go through it, before continue, run the downgrader one more time and watch the screens to see if any other cia installs.
If none installs, continue with the guide. (This is to make sure that every cia from the 9.2 downgrade installs correctly).

Shadownade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Start the guide and where it mentions the mtheall browserhax site, use this mirror instead:
http://3ds.mordor.space/3dsbrowserhax_auto.php

Install Menuhax as the guide instructs you and then try to downgrade to 9.2

If you manage to go through it, before continue, run the downgrader one more time and watch the screens to see if any other cia installs.
If none installs, continue with the guide. (This is to make sure that every cia from the 9.2 downgrade installs correctly).

Plailect's guide doesn't seem to have any sign of Menuhax whatsoever... :(

cravas

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Plailect's guide doesn't seem to have any sign of Menuhax whatsoever... :(
You're right, just saw it although the mirror I gave you is the one that is on the guide now.

So try with it and see if you can run Sysdowngrader now. If not, I'll point you to a Menuhax install and then you try Sysdowngrader from there.

Shadownade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You're right, just saw it although the mirror I gave you is the one that is on the guide now.

So try with it and see if you can run Sysdowngrader now. If not, I'll point you to a Menuhax install and then you try Sysdowngrader from there.

I opened up the Homebrew Launcher with that link you provided (via the QR, actually) and went to Sysdowngrader.
Immediately goes to

"Checking for am:u
Did not get am:u handle!

Attempting svchax..."

This has happened without fail over the last two nights. The Menuhax install would be a big help should it work.

cravas

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
In that case use this guide only to install Menuhax and launch Homebrew. You don't need any extra files or anything.

Just follow this FROM STEP 2 ONWARDS (this was an early version of the guide when we did things different way)
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide_REDNAND/wiki/Part-1-(Homebrew)

After you finish that page, reboot your console and keep pressing down (D-PAD) and homebrew will launch. Then run Sysdowngrader from there (following the New Guide; the one you've been doing.

Shadownade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
In that case use this guide only to install Menuhax and launch Homebrew. You don't need any extra files or anything.

Just follow this FROM STEP 2 ONWARDS (this was an early version of the guide when we did things different way)
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide_REDNAND/wiki/Part-1-(Homebrew)

After you finish that page, reboot your console and keep pressing down (D-PAD) and homebrew will launch. Then run Sysdowngrader from there (following the New Guide; the one you've been doing.

Opening up Menuhax_Manager V3.1 instantly gives me the following.

Menuhax_manager v.3.1 by yellows8.
Deleting SD data from old_menuax_manager versions
etc...
Opening extdata archives...
Finishing opening extdata.

Downloading config via HTTPC...
Config download failed (0xd8a0a049), trying to load it from SD...
Failed to load...

Then a whole more bunch of stuff, stating an error has occured and what not.
This has happened every time I've tried to install Menuhax.
It either freezes or errors/times out. :(

Last edited by Shadownade,

cravas

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Opening up Menuhax_Manager V3.1 instantly gives me the following.

Menuhax_manager v.3.1 by yellows8.
Deleting SD data from old_menuax_manager versions
etc...
Opening extdata archives...
Finishing opening extdata.

Downloading config via HTTPC...

This has happened every time I've tried to install Menuhax. :(
Well, it seem you have to wait for the mtheall site to come up. The mirror probably is missing the payloads and only have the exploit working.

And about Oothax, I think you have to have a same region CART for the exploit to work.

Sorry but can't help you more than this.

Shadownade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, it seem you have to wait for the mtheall site to come up. The mirror probably is missing the payloads and only have the exploit working.

And about Oothax, I think you have to have a same region CART for the exploit to work.

Sorry but can't help you more than this.

In regards to OoT3DHax, I knew it was tricky. I can install the hack, and I can activate it - but then it just crashes me to home screen. No matter which payload region I specify to - EUR or JPN.

Do you know when the mtheall site will come up? This is a real pain, but I hope things will work out. Thanks for all your help so far, Cravas. Will keep you posted.

cravas

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
In regards to OoT3DHax, I knew it was tricky. I can install the hack, and I can activate it - but then it just crashes me to home screen. No matter which payload region I specify to - EUR or JPN.

Do you know when the mtheall site will come up? This is a real pain, but I hope things will work out. Thanks for all your help so far, Cravas. Will keep you posted.
It's moving to a new server and I heard about 2 weeks time so, we have to wait, ;)

Shadownade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's moving to a new server and I heard about 2 weeks time so, we have to wait, ;)

Tch, that's a pain. This was all to play the Pokémon Moon .cia/.3DS I have, by then the games will already be out...
Would there be other mirrors that have everything - or is it possible to install the missing payloads myself?

cravas

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You can try here: http://smealum.github.io/3ds/

And download from "
Otherapp/ropbin payloads" the one for your region/type/FW.

Don't know if it's otherapp or ropbin but try one at a time an put it on SD root. (or maybe menuhax folder or homebrew folder, don't remember correctly but see if you have any of those).

Shadownade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You can try here: http://smealum.github.io/3ds/

And download from "
Otherapp/ropbin payloads" the one for your region/type/FW.

Don't know if it's otherapp or ropbin but try one at a time an put it on SD root. (or maybe menuhax folder or homebrew folder, don't remember correctly but see if you have any of those).

Menuhax had an empty ropbin folder that I put the POST5_J_23554_92.bin file in - but it still did the same old 'Downloading config via HTTPC...' message without going anywhere.

If this helps at all, these are what my folders look like.
Root > 3ds

If you need to see any more that may help - or you suggest I should completely format the SD card (I bought it just for this) and start over, let me know if that'd help.

cravas

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Menuhax had an empty ropbin folder that I put the POST5_J_23554_92.bin file in - but it still did the same old 'Downloading config via HTTPC...' message without going anywhere.

If this helps at all, these are what my folders look like.
Root > 3ds

If you need to see any more that may help - or you suggest I should completely format the SD card (I bought it just for this) and start over, let me know if that'd help.
On the N3DSXL I have with me at the moment, it's on the SD root, so am not really sure where it has to go.
I think I saw somewhere on here (gbatemp) that if you press some key ("B" I think, it won't try to download the payload from the NET and will use the one on SD, if exists)

Maybe you can try it or wait to see if someone has something to had.

Shadownade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
On the N3DSXL I have with me at the moment, it's on the SD root, so am not really sure where it has to go.
I think I saw somewhere on here (gbatemp) that if you press some key ("B" I think, it won't try to download the payload from the NET and will use the one on SD, if exists)

Maybe you can try it or wait to see if someone has something to had.

The B key didn't work. :\ Hopefully someone picks this up and can help out further. I'll keep updating this until it's solved!

Shadownade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was wondering, after seeing that Menuhax (when it does in fact time out and not crash) tries to load the config from the SD card.
Is there a place where I can get that manually and put it on my SD so it doesn't need to connect to the internet? I feel like that would work...

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I was wondering, after seeing that Menuhax (when it does in fact time out and not crash) tries to load the config from the SD card.
Is there a place where I can get that manually and put it on my SD so it doesn't need to connect to the internet? I feel like that would work...
I think you can download it on smealum's homebrew page

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.