Assistance needed with 64gb Kingston DataTraveler USB

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by marational, Feb 21, 2010.

1. marational
    OP

marational Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2006
    Canada
    I recently bought a 64gb Kingston DataTraveler USB. When I first tested it, it was formatted as FAT32, probably the default. It seemed to work fine, though I did little other than dropping a file onto it.
    I wanted to format it to NTFS in order to take advantage of the massive capacity and store games larger than 4gb.
    Googling for some info, I went into device manager and changed the properties to optimize for performance (as was recommended by most people).
    I then tried formatting the drive in NTFS using the Windows Explorer formatter from Computer. The format made no progress, and I had to cancel the operation.
    Trying to open the drive again, I repeatedly encountered errors, some saying that I did not have access priveleges, and others saying that the drive needed to be formatted (which would not work in NTFS).
    I tried using the WBFS Manager 3.0 to load and format, but neither functions worked, being prompted with errors encountered when trying to format.
    With some more searching and reading, I tried a program called HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool, but formatting in either NTFS or FAT32 doesn't appear to be working.

I would appreciate it if someone could simply teach me how to format this 64gb USB preferably into NTFS, but more importantly in a state that would allow it to be accessed for use by NeoGamma (or another loader).

2. marational
    OP

marational Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2006
    Canada
    Help please?

3. icebrg5

icebrg5 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 1, 2007
    United States
    try wii backup manager

4. nitrostemp

nitrostemp GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 15, 2009
    there should not be any issues with formatting to ntfs, but it may take a long time to do it because its flash

5. skill1414

skill1414 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 21, 2007
    sounds like it's a fake usb. Did you buy it off ebay?

6. bryancr

bryancr Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2009
    I had exactly the same problems with my brothers "64gig" Kingston recently, it turned out to be a fake he bought off ebay.

Digging around I came across this page: http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/2008/09/...terfeit-drives/ and a few hours later managed to format the device to its true capacity... 256meg !

He has emailed paypal in the hopes he will get his money back...