Hacking Assistance in starting up

Kalyfa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the New users guide to setting up wood R4 I asked a question and waited about a week to see if anyone would be willing to answer. I'm simply copying and pasting that question here. Hopefully someone who knows the solution will help me out.

I've scanned through a few other posts and a few pages but haven't come across anyone else asking about a similar problem as I am.

I recently purchased the R4I-Gold Upgrade Revolution for the DS (http://www.R4I-Gold.EU) and have followed the steps provided here to get me set up. I opted out on having a skin show up for my MicroSD but otherwise did as was told.

I downloaded the Wood R4 1.21 file from the provided link (I also downloaded the 1.15 file later to see if it had my missing file, but it did not).

The file I am missing can be found in Part 4 where is says "Your MicroSD card should now look like:"
I have the following files present on my MicroSD:
_rpg
_ds_menu.dat

I am missing the autorun.inf and cannot figure out where to get it.

I do not know if this will fix my problem or not, but I do know that this file is missing and would like to acquire it.

Currently, as things stand when I try to run my R4 I get past the initial DS warning screen and it stays completely white and blank on the bottom screen. And all white on the top except there is an SD card shape in red with a ? and then the word MENU inside of it. Nothing I press changes anything as I have tried pushing any and all of the buttons in an attempt to see if it would prompt anything.

Thanks for your time and I hope I was able to explain myself well enough, I do not have any prior experience with running mods or anything of the sort.

Kalyfa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I had no idea. I was referred to this site by a friend. He was originally going to help me get going with the set up and some homebrew games, but when we couldn't get it to work I came here and started over from scratch.

I'll ask a second question then, would anyone know of any firmware that I could make use of and where to acquire it? Otherwise I'd also appreciate any suggestions to a quality R4 that would work for a DSlite and support the Wood R4 firmware.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
An alternative is YSmenu, it's got updates to the data files to run new games.

However you need to know that these things are called "flash carts", not "R4s". The R4 was one major card, and it was a breakthrough for it's time, but then the people that made it vanished for various reasons. Then all the chinese clones (like what you bought) popped up, and they're using the R4 name to get people to buy them.

As for picking out a new flash cart, here's my copy-paste on it.

cardchart.gif

Note that the prices given are from chinese shops.
If you order from a shop in another country it's more expensive.
[*]The original R4.
NOT "R4-III Upgrade", NOT "R4-SDHC", NOT "R4i NDSLL", NOT "R4 Red", NOT "R4 King"...
NOT ANYTHING ELSE WITH "R4" IN THE NAME! JUST "R4 Revolution For DS".

The cheap card for somebody that just wants to play games on a DS/Lite.

[*]R4i Gold
The cheap card for somebody that wants to play games on a DSi with more storage.

[*]Acekard 2i
Mid-range card for people that want to play games on a DSi/XL with some extra features.

[*]EZ-Flash Vi
Higher-end card with even more features.

[*]Supercard DSTwo
Pretty much the ultimate card right now.
  • DS / DS Lite
    The card will work on an original (fat) DS or a DS Lite.
  • DSi / DSi XL
    The card will work on a DSi or DSi XL as well.
  • Game Updates
    Firmware updates are what let cards play newer games, these are the life-blood of the card.
  • SDHC
    SDHC refers to SD cards larger than 2GB (gigabytes). If there's no SDHC support, you can only use SD cards up to 2GB.
  • WiFi Update
    The Acekard 2i can update it's cheats (and get minor bug fixes) over WiFi without having to connect to a computer.
  • Auto Ap Bypass
    Some carts have special features to ignore AP in most games, letting you play them without having to wait for a firmware update first. The Acekard only has partial support for this right now.
  • RTS
    The Real-Time Save (Save State) function lets you save and reload your game progress at any moment you wish.
  • In-Game Guide
    You can pull up text files and images in-game, in order to check a walkthrough or map you downloaded at any time during a game.
  • Slow Motion
    The card lets you slow down the game speed as you wish.
  • In-Game Cheats
    The card lets you create and modify cheats while the game is running.
  • Special Homebrew
    The card has multiple pieces of special homebrew, such as it's own GBA and SNES emulators, as well as text/PDF reader and video player.
  • Battery Life
    Unfortunately the DSTwo's extra CPU and RAM (which give it the special features) eat into the battery life a bit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: 🦛 🐦 (🐑🐑) 🦛 🐦 (🐑🐑) 🦛 🐦 🦌🐑 🦛🐦 (🐑🐑)