1. 3,758

Front-page
    qu8cx9F.png

Arriving right on time for gamers who might have the holiday off for Thanksgiving, Ubisoft has just released a new update for the latest Assassin's Creed game. Normally, these patches are merely bugfixes, but Assassin's Creed Valhalla's 1.04 patch introduces more than just stability. A quality/performance mode toggle has been added to the game, allowing players on the Xbox Series X/S and PlayStation 5 to choose between higher framerates or better graphical quality. The former option makes the game run at adaptive resolution in order to keep the framerate locked at 60fps, while the latter maintains 30fps, "at the maximum resolution setting", dependent on platform. By default, the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 use the performance mode, and the Xbox Series S focuses on quality.

:arrow: Source

2. Discussion (15 replies)

3. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner The Edge of the Soul

United States
    DAE think that these patch sizes are a bit big, even for the new generation of consoles which I've been told patches would definitely never be what they are with games on the 8th generation of consoles?

guisadop likes this.
  4. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Was always bs, never going to go down. Last gen the sizes were alledgely because of duplicate files for slow mechanical hdd, this gen will be because of higher quality assets. Never going to go down until you are allowed to pick what you need (so dump languages you don't need, dump 4k stuff if you are on 1080p).

In this case though, I don't think 4GB is excessive for a patch.

Anyway 60fps :), I doubt it will once the cross gen games go away, but I really hope this trend of console games having a 60fps option continues.

5. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner The Edge of the Soul

United States
    Srsly? Multiple languages?

And yeah, 4K/higher res textures/models/lossless audio/whatever should always be an option. That last bit is apparently part of the reason COD Modern Warfare 2019 was eating up so much storage space on people's HDDs.

6. gbadl

gbadl GBAtemp Regular

How is series s set on quality by default and the other more powerful consoles on performance. Doesn't make sense.

Ampersound and Ev1lbl0w like this.
  7. Chary

OP Chary Never sleeps
    Chief Editor

United States
    If you ever get, ah, repacked...backups of PC games, they give you the option to trim out a lot of data, mostly gigs worth of audio and text of all the languages that games come in. It can actually take up a decent amount of room.

8. AshuraZro

AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    Guessing that Series S running at its lower target resolution is capable of a more solid and stable experience at the higher graphic setting. That said, the naming of "quality" and "performance" has rubbed me the wrong way since I stepped foot in the new consoles. I wish that some games give an "Advanced" button and let me toggle some more options closer to a PC. I'm running the Series X on a 1440p 120hz display and I don't care if the games run internally at 4k. Although such options may not be allowed by the platform holders and I could understand that its tough enough to target multiple baselines on console as it is.

9. gbadl

gbadl GBAtemp Regular

Thanks I forgot about the resolution limit. Sweet, I guess I can get max quality at 1080P as that is the most I can do on TV's right now. If only the S had a BLURAY drive or gets hacked, it would be sweet.

10. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

Germany
    Performance means do the best you can, and try to keep 60FPS.

Quality means do the best you can, and try to keep 30FPS.

I assure you "quality" mode (i.e. keep 30FPS) has way lower graphical settings in Xbox Series S, than the 60FPS mode does in the X.

11. Karones

Karones Member
    Newcomer

Brazil
    I think they won't change much because of the higher res textures and all, but this is game isn't a full next gen game, it was made for last gen and has been in dev for a few years so they're still using techniques for dealing with HDD speeds and such

Silent_Gunner likes this.
  12. HylianBran

HylianBran Glover vs Klonoa Beach Volleyball: Dawn of Racism

United States
    So basically... it's less Assassins Creed. Huh. Sorry Assassins Creed fans!

13. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Im guessing this is more aimed towards the s series with its cheaper hardware....

But fuck me if a game at launch has to offer a patch to offer performace over graphics, how the fuck is it a next gen system.

Whats going to happen in 3 years time, ohhh yea exactly what weve seen already.

Multi platform games using a third party graphic engine that isnt tailored to the actual consoles hardware and push to its limits.

This is why i have no interest in either next gen consoles.

Its games are not that much of an improvement, this can be used when pc gamers rant master race playing a console game ported to pc....

Sits back, looks at the two, see little difference, looks at your cost compared to a console thats 5 years old and achieving nearly same results.

Yup shut up n sit the fuck down, the extra cost isnt justified.

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  14. air2004

air2004 Air

United States
    The AC series has become to repetitive as of late. Is this release any different?

15. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    don't worry they got plenty more bugs to fix yet!

16. deSSy2724

deSSy2724 GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    Im yet to see a "next gen" game with reduced size (overall). that looks really like a next gen game and you do know that this is not the whole story? (multiple vs single assets blah blah).

Thing is, there were some game patches which reduced the overall game size and improved the loading times on BOTH HDDs and SSDs......... games still dont rely on sequential reads for the most part, unless that happens you wont use the true full potential of high speed PCI-e 3.0 and especially PCI-e 4.0 SSDs. Example, in some newer games you only have 15 - 25 seconds less loading times on SSDs compared to HDDs, while on other ones you can have over 1 min less loading times, in most games SATA SSDs and nVME SSDs will give you almost the same loading times..... it really depends on how the games are made from the ground-up.

!!!! IMPORTANT !!!!

BTW removing some languages and removing some "parts" of the game (like removing online mode, leaving offline mode only) is not the "low size games" we are talking about...... that you can already do with almost all the PC games since 80 - 90s...... just look at the repacks (Fitgirl for example) where you choose what to install, thats nothing new.

So, basically 50 GB next gen games with true next gen visuals will never happen...... games will be 100 - 150 GB minimum at best case scenario (I mean those games developed with "real life like" visuals in mind).

Last edited by deSSy2724, Nov 30, 2020
  17. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    The games so broken. Can't believe you guys ain't talking about the Draw Distance (LOD)... it's like looking at ps2 graphics..

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - performance, Assassins, Valhallas