Assassin’s Creed Valhalla Doubles Odyssey’s players at launch

Ubisoft’s Assassin’s Creed Valhalla delivers massive day one player engagement.

Critically acclaimed as “Ubisoft’s best Assassin's Creed to date", Assassin’s Creed Valhalla doubles Assassin’s Creed Odyssey’s players on launch day.

Today, Ubisoft announced exceptional player activity for Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, the latest iteration of the Assassin’s Creed franchise, released on 10th November. The number of active players on launch day for Assassin’s Creed Valhalla doubled that of Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, a trend that is expected to continue as sales of the new generation of consoles increase. A testament to Assassin’s Creed Valhalla delivering on players’ expectations for its fascinating world and immersive narrative, the game has reached high levels of viewership and engagement on Twitch and YouTube that surpass any Ubisoft game launch to date.

“We are humbled by the reception from the players and extremely proud of what our teams have accomplished with Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, which builds on the amazing success of its predecessors,” said Yves Guillemot, Ubisoft co-founder and CEO. “In the context of COVID-19, shipping Assassin’s Creed Valhalla on no less than seven platforms is an incredible achievement for all of the teams involved around the world. We are excited to greet players on Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5 with a game that unleashes the power of the new hardware. This paves the way for an exciting Christmas period, with Assassin’s Creed Valhalla set to be one of this season’s biggest hits.”

assassins-creed-valhalla-credit-ubisoft@2000x1270-3-1.jpg

The successful launch of Assassin’s Creed Valhalla once again demonstrates Ubisoft’s achievement in continuing to drive the franchise forward. Since Assassin’s Creed Origins, Ubisoft set to reinvent the Assassin’s Creed experience starting with fight and player progression in Assassin’s Creed Origins and a brand-new take on narrative choice in Assassin’s Creed Odyssey. Assassin’s Creed Valhalla builds on these two games to offer the ultimate Assassin’s Creed experience, one that will delight both longtime fans and newcomers to the franchise.

With development led by Ubisoft Montreal, Assassin’s Creed Valhalla offers players the captivating experience of playing as Eivor, a legendary Viking warrior, driven from Norway by endless wars and dwindling resources in ninth century AD. Players can relive the ruthless fighting style of Viking warriors with a revamped dual-wielding combat system and experience new gameplay features such as raids, assaults, and the settlement, as well as a revamped progression and gear upgrade system. Political alliances, combat decisions and dialogue choices can influence the world of Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, so players must choose wisely to protect their clan’s home and their future.

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla is available on Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One consoles, PlayStation 4, the Epic Games Store and Ubisoft Store on Windows PC, as well as on Stadia, Amazon Luna and Ubisoft’s subscription service, Ubisoft+. Assassin’s Creed Valhalla will release on PlayStation 5 alongside the launch of the console on 12th November.

About Assassin’s Creed:
Since it first launched in 2007, the Assassin’s Creed series has sold more than 140 million games worldwide. The franchise is now established as one of the best-selling series in video game history. Recognized for having some of the richest, most engrossing storytelling in the industry, Assassin’s Creed transcends video games, branching out into numerous other entertainment media.

:arrow: Source: GBAtemp Inbox
:arrow: Assassin's Creed Official Site

Last edited by shaunj66,

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Was Odyssey a high water mark that people would want to compare things to?

I fail to see how they don't fit/can't be made to fit.

Right from the first game the Assassins are billed as one of a number of competing secret societies looking to influence the world. They insert themselves into places, though keep themselves nominally apart, wherever they might be and take actions accordingly. The vikings/norse in general then being a great choice if you want to influence history -- invasions, settling, mercenaries, variously paid to stay away...
I stopped playing AC after 4 but the idea of vikings as assassins like ezio and connor is just wierd to me. When I think of vikings I think of brutal battles and hordes of people. Its just really wierd for me to think one single person is that like stealthy guy with a robe and something like a hidden blade

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I stopped playing AC after 4 but the idea of vikings as assassins like ezio and connor is just wierd to me. When I think of vikings I think of brutal battles and hordes of people. Its just really wierd for me to think one single person is that like stealthy guy with a robe and something like a hidden blade

In that case you might have watched too many films or listened to too much history written by those with abbeys they pillaged.

Karones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Didn't know the previous games were hated so much around here, the games changed a lot since origins and I enjoyed that one quite a lot, Bayek is a charismatic guy and the world was fun to explore, they just seem bigger than necessary.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim
D

Deleted User

I haven't seen much gameplay but we've already seen groups of people working together in previous games. This is most apparent in Assassins Creed: Brotherhood. I imagine some of the battles in this game will be similar to Black Flag where you're leading your own troops into battle. On land as well as naval combat this time.
Didn't know the previous games were hated so much around here, the games changed a lot since origins and I enjoyed that one quite a lot, Bayek is a charismatic guy and the world was fun to explore, they just seem bigger than necessary.
Assassin's Creed seems to have become a series which is cool to hate. Given it sells well, plenty of people must like it in spite of some rather vocal haters. I plan to buy this game.

In the case of Assassin's Creed: Unity, it ran very poorly on the PS4 and Xbox One. It needed a new console generation to run smoothly.

Kordru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ubisoft’s Assassin’s Creed Valhalla delivers massive day one player engagement.

Critically acclaimed as “Ubisoft’s best Assassin's Creed to date", Assassin’s Creed Valhalla doubles Assassin’s Creed Odyssey’s players on launch day.

Today, Ubisoft announced exceptional player activity for Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, the latest iteration of the Assassin’s Creed franchise, released on 10th November. The number of active players on launch day for Assassin’s Creed Valhalla doubled that of Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, a trend that is expected to continue as sales of the new generation of consoles increase. A testament to Assassin’s Creed Valhalla delivering on players’ expectations for its fascinating world and immersive narrative, the game has reached high levels of viewership and engagement on Twitch and YouTube that surpass any Ubisoft game launch to date.

“We are humbled by the reception from the players and extremely proud of what our teams have accomplished with Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, which builds on the amazing success of its predecessors,” said Yves Guillemot, Ubisoft co-founder and CEO. “In the context of COVID-19, shipping Assassin’s Creed Valhalla on no less than seven platforms is an incredible achievement for all of the teams involved around the world. We are excited to greet players on Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5 with a game that unleashes the power of the new hardware. This paves the way for an exciting Christmas period, with Assassin’s Creed Valhalla set to be one of this season’s biggest hits.”

The successful launch of Assassin’s Creed Valhalla once again demonstrates Ubisoft’s achievement in continuing to drive the franchise forward. Since Assassin’s Creed Origins, Ubisoft set to reinvent the Assassin’s Creed experience starting with fight and player progression in Assassin’s Creed Origins and a brand-new take on narrative choice in Assassin’s Creed Odyssey. Assassin’s Creed Valhalla builds on these two games to offer the ultimate Assassin’s Creed experience, one that will delight both longtime fans and newcomers to the franchise.

With development led by Ubisoft Montreal, Assassin’s Creed Valhalla offers players the captivating experience of playing as Eivor, a legendary Viking warrior, driven from Norway by endless wars and dwindling resources in ninth century AD. Players can relive the ruthless fighting style of Viking warriors with a revamped dual-wielding combat system and experience new gameplay features such as raids, assaults, and the settlement, as well as a revamped progression and gear upgrade system. Political alliances, combat decisions and dialogue choices can influence the world of Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, so players must choose wisely to protect their clan’s home and their future.

cool game!!

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla is available on Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One consoles, PlayStation 4, the Epic Games Store and Ubisoft Store on Windows PC, as well as on Stadia, Amazon Luna and Ubisoft’s subscription service, Ubisoft+. Assassin’s Creed Valhalla will release on PlayStation 5 alongside the launch of the console on 12th November.

About Assassin’s Creed:
Since it first launched in 2007, the Assassin’s Creed series has sold more than 140 million games worldwide. The franchise is now established as one of the best-selling series in video game history. Recognized for having some of the richest, most engrossing storytelling in the industry, Assassin’s Creed transcends video games, branching out into numerous other entertainment media.

:arrow: Source: GBAtemp Inbox
:arrow: Assassin's Creed Official Site

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Why do you think that?
Didn't adressed any of the issues Odyssey had and is even worse is some ways, especially the repetivity. There's almost 0 loot, it's the opposite of Odyssey which had too much imho, idk if it's worse, to me it's just different but some people definitely prefer how it was in Odyssey. But yeah it's still beautiful and all, but they just stretched the thing again, it was already a pain in the ass in Origins and Odyssey and they still had to do even worse on this one, maybe people are actually buying those XP booster, idk

Also to me it's stupid to say that it's cool to hate a popular franchise. People don't call Fortnite or Assassin's Creed shit because it's cool, it's because they have huge flaws and that's it, people don't like that. You'll see people hating on Transformers movies, new Star Wars movies, Fast & Furious and other blockbusters because they are stupid yet they are still enjoyable by quite a lot of people. Doesn't mean those things aren't flawed, doesn't mean they are good by any means. It's not cool to hate on things, saying otherwise is stupid imho.

You can still like to play some stuff that is known to be shit, I've done this a lot and I still do. The most important thing is to be aware of that.
This doesn't mean that you shouldn't acknowledge the fact that the negative elements outweigh the few positive points you can find that will make you appreciate the product. Human beings are by nature irrational. Acknowledging this does not prevent you from enjoying things.
You just gotta convince yourself that Assassin's Creed is a bit like shit, but as long as you know it, you can keep going, frankly.
Being cool or not, that's just a consequence, but you don't change your tastes because it's cool or not. If a lot of people seems to hate some specific thing, it's not because it's cool, it's because it was apparent and people are glad that they are not alone despite the huge popularity the product got. It was the same about COD back in the days tho people seems to agree on the fact that Modern Warfare games were cool (maybe except the 3, at least I didnt), then it was Assassin's Creed, nowadays it's Fortnite, it was even battle royales ... People just like to not be alone.

Last edited by LightBeam,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do people hate Assassin's Creed because it is in some ways popular or because after two, maybe three, games and a few handheld efforts based on a pretty interesting premise they put it on the might as well be annual release o tron and started pumping out bug filled messes divorced pretty much entirely from the tone and concept* of the original games.

*don't get me wrong I don't care what happened to Desmond, though the fact I could remember that without looking it up and I have not played any in the better part of a decade probably says a lot there.

ChronoTrig

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was hoping they'd stick to the trilogy of the true story (which they obviously strayed from at the 3rd game and it led to one of the main story writers of the game to leave Ubisoft) and then stop. Corporations ALWAYS seem to milk titles for more $ when it just runs the name into the ground.

Last edited by ChronoTrig,

Manurocker95

Game Developer & Pokémon Master
Trophies
Website
manuelrodriguezmatesanz.com
XP
Country
Spain
Didn't adressed any of the issues Odyssey had and is even worse is some ways, especially the repetivity. There's almost 0 loot, it's the opposite of Odyssey which had too much imho, idk if it's worse, to me it's just different but some people definitely prefer how it was in Odyssey. But yeah it's still beautiful and all, but they just stretched the thing again, it was already a pain in the ass in Origins and Odyssey and they still had to do even worse on this one, maybe people are actually buying those XP booster, idk

I only played a few hours but I liked Valhalla way less than Odyssey. The voice acting in Spanish (I know right I can play it with English voices but you know) is horrible, the world feels empty and the game is bugged af. Just the first cutscene bugged my computer just because I was using the xbox controller wireless (2 fps in low settings with wireless controller, 60 in max graphics settings with cable). And it's not bluetooth issue because other games work just fine (even Odyssey).

Also the ships feel less realistic than odyssey. The battle feels less "badass" than the ones with Kassandra. Maybe it's me, but for now, I still prefer odyssey.

Last edited by Manurocker95,
Reactions: LightBeam

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd honestly be insulted if critics called this the best in the series despite not even remotely being an Assassin's Creed game...except for the awful "real life" segments Ubisoft loves putting people through. I heard the US recently started to employ it as a torture tactic causing 100% of victims to crack within hours of having to replay the sections over and over without ever getting to enjoy real gameplay.

For real though it might be a good game but it's a horrible Assassin's Creed game. Just call it something else.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd honestly be insulted if critics called this the best in the series despite not even remotely being an Assassin's Creed game...except for the awful "real life" segments Ubisoft loves putting people through. I heard the US recently started to employ it as a torture tactic causing 100% of victims to crack within hours of having to replay the sections over and over without ever getting to enjoy real gameplay.

For real though it might be a good game but it's a horrible Assassin's Creed game. Just call it something else.

An action RPG in AC clothing, but still a decent game

Karones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I only played a few hours but I liked Valhalla way less than Odyssey. The voice acting in Spanish (I know right I can play it with English voices but you know) is horrible, the world feels empty and the game is bugged af. Just the first cutscene bugged my computer just because I was using the xbox controller wireless (2 fps in low settings with wireless controller, 60 in max graphics settings with cable). And it's not bluetooth issue because other games work just fine (even Odyssey).

Also the ships feel less realistic than odyssey. The battle feels less "badass" than the ones with Kassandra. Maybe it's me, but for now, I still prefer odyssey.
Is it even more empty than Odyssey? My biggest problem with it is that I have to travel 20km for each quest, and only a few sidequests were interesting so I ended up underleved most of the time.

Reactions: ChronoTrig

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    +1
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    +1
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    +1
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    +1
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @The Real Jdbye, it's bed bath and beyond you nitwit
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: