Assassin's Creed: Odyssey comes to Nintendo Switch in Japan, with a catch

Odyssey.jpeg

Leaked in May and announced at E3, Assassin's Creed: Odyssey may be the last game you'd expect on Nintendo's hybrid console. Despite this, Assassin's Creed: Odyssey made a surprising appearance in the Japanese Nintendo Direct. This confirmed that Assassin's Creed: Odyssey is indeed launching on Switch simultaneously with the other versions.

Before you cancel your pre-orders, though, there is a significant catch. This version of Assassin's Creed: Odyssey will be running off of a remote PC, and streamed to the Switch over the internet. This is the same approach Capcom had when they brought Resident Evil VII to Switch back in May. Running off of the cloud, the game will surely suffer both latency and clarity issues, especially with slower internet speeds.

Assassin's Creed: Odyssey - Cloud Version launches on the 5th of October in Japan. It is currently unknown if Ubisoft plans to release in other territories, but given the game's absence from other region streams, it seems doubtful.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Still think it's a lazy way to "port" but whatevs
Is it really porting? It's just a PC version with on screen controls altered. Seriously, why is this a thing? Why are we trying to utilize "cloud gaming" now? PSO2 Cloud.. RE7 cloud and now this? If you can't make it run well enough natively just don't give us anything. It's beyond lazy and insulting to us who don't have fast connections. Even though this is currently "Japan Only" its still among some of the stupidest shit imaginable.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it really porting? It's just a PC version with on screen controls altered. Seriously, why is this a thing? Why are we trying to utilize "cloud gaming" now? PSO2 Cloud.. RE7 cloud and now this? If you can't make it run well enough natively just don't give us anything. It's beyond lazy and insulting to us who don't have fast connections. Even though this is currently "Japan Only" its still among some of the stupidest shit imaginable.

Exactly, it's just pure laziness, it's them saying "oh, we can't be arsed to port the game, so we'll just stream it from a PC instead". What a bunch of bullshit :lol:

Cuck floud gaming as a whole.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean.... It's either this or nothing, right? I'm fine with it. Ubisoft is (and has) brought great support to the Switch thus far. It's not like there's a ton of resources going towards this that could be reallocated elsewhere. I don't see an issue with it.

Last edited by Windaga,
Reactions: AveSatanas

huma_dawii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean.... It's either this or nothing, right? I'm fine with it. Ubisoft is (and has) brought great support to the Switch thus far. It's not like there's a ton of resources going towards this that could be reallocated elsewhere. I don't see an issue with it.
The issue is, they will not make any ports and expect you to rent their game from the cloud its like super easy money for them.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't be surprise if both Ubisoft and Capcom come out with a full blown cloud service someday. (As well as pull their games from other cloud services.)

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ew. Cloud gaming is years away from being practical. Maybe they don't have an many problems in Japan, since they have better broadband than most other countries. But still, you have to be close to your access point, so there are still plenty of constraints. I really hope cloud gaming doesn't take off for at least another 20 years. Between bandwidth issues in less populated areas and many homes having a poor network infrastructure, I just don't think it's a viable option.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Are lamborghini insulting to you because you don't have enough cash to buy one?
Bit of a stupid statement on your part tbh.
Technology doesn't need to exist, or not exist based on what you personally can or can't afford.

If it WORKS then it's a fantastic solution for weaker hardware to run games above its means. There's not always "making a game work" on a console without gimping the everloving fuck out of it, and severely misrepresenting the quality just to make it work.

For high end games like this, this really is the only solution. The Switch's portability comes at a cost.
Technology like this really isn't where it needs to be, but it'll never get there if it isn't tested and improved either.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So let me get this straight:

You buy the game, but you don't own the game, and play it on your console, but not really, while actually playing on a computer, on a Switch but on a server, while controlling your character with your gamepad but not quite?

I was sold at "latency"! Sign me up!

The fuck is this shit?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: