Assassin Creed Movie Gets a Leading Man

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Jul 10, 2012.

Jul 10, 2012
  1. Gahars
    OP

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Here ye, here ye! GBAtemplars young and old alike, come and gather round! ​
    [​IMG] Variety

Video game movies have a pretty tarnished reputation, but it seems like Ubisoft is pulling out the stops to overcome that. To ensure creative control over this project (and all possible future ones), they launched Ubisoft Motion Pictures just last year. While the film could still be produced or distributed by another company, this should at least keep the likes of Uwe Boll away from the project.

The article doesn't give a date for the project, but assuming nothing goes wrong, we may see the finished film sometime in the next few years.

I'm not sure if we really need an Assassin's Creed movie, but I'll be impressed if they can pull it off. A huge success could give video game film adaptations some much needed legitimacy. Who knows, maybe filmmakers might just start to take them seriously.

I may be getting my hopes up, but it's always possible. And hey, if anyone knows about "big things coming from small beginnings", it's Micheal Fassbender.

2. Range-TE

Member Range-TE GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Indonesia
    Hells yes, fassbender as an Assassin, i actually liked the Prince of Persia movie so i'm not as as skeptic on this as i would be on other movies based on video games

3. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    inb4 "keep milking"

4. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    No Uwe Boll? I'm disappointed.

No, really. His films aren't just "bad", they're delightfully horrible on purpose, which gives them this pleasant aftertaste of "yep, that's a straight-to-DVD release", not to mention that they're funny since they don't treat themselves too seriously.

Anyone who enjoys watching movies that are bad on purpose surely understands what I'm talking about.

5. Gahars
    OP

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Eh, I'd disagree. His older films still have that "train wreck" quality; they're awful, but still strangely compelling in their own way. Boll's more recent ones (I can't quite remember where the trend began) aren't so enjoyably bad. He's gained enough competence (or somehow lost even more), and now the end products are just tediously bad.

It's kind of like the difference between "Plan 9 From Outer Space" and "Manos: The Hands of Fate".

6. jonesman99

Member jonesman99 GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid

United States
    Well, as long as Disney and NONE of its writers or directors get a hold of this and fudges it up, I'm all for this.

7. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    If anything, as long as it's an original story (preferably canonical) I'll see it.

8. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Entirely possible, I haven't seen any since Postal (highly recommended) and Bloodrayne, also known as "How to make a badass plot turn into a snorefest by means of cowboys".

1 person likes this.
  9. ShawnTRods

Member ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I want Robert Downey Jr as the main character :D!

10. FencingFoxFTW

Member FencingFoxFTW GBAtemp Fan

Puerto Rico
    http://awesomelyshitty.wordpress.com/2012/02/17/michael-f-assbender-is-in-everything/

11. Theraima

Member Theraima I own this desert, bitches!

Finland
    The main character should be someone acrobatic.. I'm not entirely convinced Fassbender is the guy for the role of an Assassin..

Prince of Persia was decent tho.

12. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Hopefully they don't fuck it up, like a lot of games this setting/story can really be turned into a great story.... If there's enough money available, this will be a blockbuster...

13. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    Are you kidding me? He's an awesome actor, but he's a chatterbox? Since when have Assassins been talkative as heck? He'd adlib too much.

Let's just hope Fassbender can pull off those awesome assassin moves. Yes, I'm talking about Liberation's trailer. I was in a local gameshop browsing for 3DS games when I first saw it... awesome shit. Reminded me of Mel Gibson's The Patriot.

14. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    He was really good in X-Men: First Class and in general I've heard good things about him as an actor.

Dunno if I could see him in an Asscreed movie, in general I think they don't even need movies. The games work fine enough themselves and they already suffer a consistent issue of having endings that crumble like a cookie.

15. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    They don't need it, but the movie will definitely be interesting.

16. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    PoP was great from my side. They mixed what was known with some unknown elements. I think he looks more like altair than he does like ezio.

17. ShawnTRods

Member ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    thats the whole point :D Would love to see him in a "quiet" character ;).

18. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    nope. probably not gonna happen. besides, he's far more suited to witty characters. it's better if somebody else plays Altair.