Assassin’s Creed Deal shocks Hollywood

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by smile72, Nov 7, 2011.

?

Is Ubisoft asking too much????

1. No, it well within their rights to see if their game can be turned into a semi decent film

49 vote(s)
    92.5%
  2. Yes. The studios should have complete control.

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
Nov 7, 2011
  1. smile72
    OP

Member smile72 NewsBot

Japan
    Opinion?????

Source:http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/11/assassins_creed_movie_sony_ubi.html

2. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. smile72
    OP

Member smile72 NewsBot

Japan
    Those are all terrible remakes of some great and decent games. It makes me wonder how selfish Hollywood is. How they have to control everything.

4. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    IDK I understand that it their game that they want to protect,but at the same time I understand "You are not a movie maker."

About adaptions, I think they can go a little away from the game,but not to much. I think it may be better if a movie is built from the ground up and not follow a game.

I think they should have some rights because if I made a awesome game( which is one of the things I would like to do), I would see myself trying to protect it too.

5. Ace

Member Ace GBATemp's Patrick Bateman

Sweden
    Notice how one of the tags for that picture is "Industry Bull"... take a wild guess to what they're implying?

Still, I'm rooting for Ubisoft here to let the game's producers get a foot through the door to this movie. I don't want a Hollywood version of this on the big screen: I want the creators vision, something Hollywood would never do.

6. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Hey, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time wasn't that bad of a movie :P

As for this one... well... Good luck Sony. You WILL need it.

4 people like this.
  7. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Video game movies are just stupid ideas. Why do I need a movie to tell me a story I can already learn from playing the game? With books, you have to visualize yourself, and having a movie based on the book sees what you visualized or what the author intended come to life. Like Lord of the Rings is one of the largest works of fantasy in the world. The movie adaptations (which were great) were able to bring it alive and let people know about the epic franchise without reading an entire prologue on Hobbit lore.

Video games, however, already show and tell you the story they wanted to tell. Why do I need actors and special effects to render what a game already can? Video games are almost like interactive movies, to some extent.

8. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    reddit.com/r/gaming
    take that bitch :angry:

2 people like this.
  9. Dimensional

Member Dimensional GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Sadly, not all books turned into movies do well. There are some examples, but I won't name them in fear that someone will come to my house and throw bricks at the window. I don't want to get them replaced because they are scratched from the bricks. Anyways, some games can be made into movies. I for one loved the FPS sequence in DooM, which IMHO was the best part of the entire movie. It depends on the collaboration between the property owners and the studios. Seeing an Assassin's Creed movie would be nice, but as some people pointed out, why use a movie to tell the story when you get the same and then some from that game? I would think they should make the movie based on the game, but it doesn't follow the games directly, like that animated movie that will be coming with select versions of Revelations. That tells a story that you won't ever see in the games.

If they are to make a movie, they should make its story be something not from the games at all. Like what happened to Subject 16, or what Alteir did after he hid the Piece of Eden in his private library, or something else. Having small pieces from the game put in the movie works well too, because it lets the audience at least feel a bigger connection between the movie and the games. But they shouldn't make a movie based directly, completely off one of the games, or else it'll flop at the box office. Again, why watch a movie when you can get the exact same story from the game and then some. A game is more interactive than a movie after all.

10. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States
    hope it fails.

11. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Why?

12. Vinnymac

Member Vinnymac GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I love the series and I hope Ubisoft does whatever they please to do with a movie.

13. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States

cause i'm a hater

14. Wintrale

Member Wintrale GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    For me, it makes perfect sense. Both this and the Uncharted situation are the same - you have a series of games with a large fanbase who greatly enjoy the characters in the games. Russell wanted to turn Uncharted into some weird family drama, which is the exact opposite to what an Uncharted film should be. I actually applaud Ubisoft for putting their foot down and asserting that any Assassin's Creed film made would be made under their supervision. At least that way, they're guaranteed that the film will be a proper adaptation. All copyright owners, whether they're video game companies or novelists, should have complete control of adaptations made from their material.

15. BrightNeko

Member BrightNeko Popcorn ball

United States
    Because video games today totally don't have an extensive amount of Cinematography, acting direction, and a plain cinematic feel from cutscene scripting. I mean really what game today feel like a movie?

Warning: Spoilers inside!

16. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    That's what I was going to say :) I actually liked Prince of Persia...

17. purechaos996

Member purechaos996 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I would love to see an Assassins Creed Movie, I love games and I love film/movies so that would be awesome :D I think Ubisoft should have a lot of control over the movie or at least the script.

18. EJames2100

Member EJames2100 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Does this mean there's gonna be no bullshit love story ?
    An actual decent storyline?
    Characters that somewhat resemble who they're supposedly playing(And I don't just mean looking like them) ?

19. Nalmontes

Newcomer Nalmontes Advanced Member

United States
    If they pull it off with the right amount of story and action and the epic scenes that the games provide, then it could actually work, but I'm still doubtful.

20. mr deez

Member mr deez GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    It's an abject state of both medias affairs when game companies try to make films and film people want to make games. Embarrassing.