Asking for the wonderful advice of the GBAtemp community.

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by sgand, Jan 8, 2010.

1. sgand
    OP

Newcomer sgand Advanced Member

United States
    I have a Wii which is a few years old (LU50). Over the past year it's been making that loud vibrating sound when it spins a disc, so I finally got motivated enough to research it and attempt to fix it. After "fixing" it, it started acting back up maybe a week later. Months pass, and last week I get around to attempt the same fix. I must've bent something that wasn't meant to be bent, because now it will not read discs unless I press down the "spindle" on top of the disc. At this point, the vibrating is louder than ever before.

I gave up, and decided to just send it to Nintendo, so they could fix it and turn it back to normal. Now, I'm a bit worried of the consequences with doing so. I realize that all my homebrew and softmods will more than likely be erased and the Wii will be updated to 4.2 (I'm on 4.1U). I've done some searching on the forums, and no real solid answers have been provided. Should I go on with sending it in? If they replace the DVD drive, is it going to be able to read DVD-Rs? Should I delete all of my homebrew channels before hand?

Another solution, would be to buy a USB drive and use that for gaming, but I would still be without a working DVD drive if and when I would ever need use from it again. But on the bright side, all of my softmods would still be in place.

Thoughts? [​IMG]

2. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    More then likely you will receive a Wii back which can't read dvd backups. You may as well wipe everything off the Wii in the off chance Nintendo refuses to fix it if they discover homebrew on it. They're going to charge you either way as the warranty is gone.

Another alternative would be to purchase a wii dvd drive capable of loading backups. You could also use uloader and run your backups from an external dvd drive, though personally I think a usb hard drive would be better.

Oh and having your Wii updated to 4.2 shouldn't be a problem. Homebrew works fine on it, as does usb loaders etc.

3. ddetkowski

Member ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I would hang onto it.
    Who knows what yer gonna get back from ninty.
    USB loading is the way to go, mine is soft-modded, if my DVD drive dies, at least I know
    I've got 100+ games in my library.
    I, too, like to use discs, but if and when my drive dies, I'm still good.
    They may give you the D3-2 chipset drive, and you'll never be able to load discs.
    (backups, that is.....)

4. dan_s

Newcomer dan_s Member

Canada
    I would get a hard drive.

There super cheap now a days. I bought a pair of 500's for 60 each (+20 each for the case) for the wii and love it. So prolly for the cost of a repair you can get a drive and never worry about dvd's again.

Disk's are pretty much obsolete. I'll be glad when there gone and everything is on solid state.

5. sgand
    OP

Newcomer sgand Advanced Member

United States
    Thanks for your replies. I think I am just going to get a HDD after all. Like already said, no telling what Nintendo will send me back. I even emailed a local repair shop from craigslist about fixing it, and he said just get a HDD. Now to find a good HDD for around $75. [​IMG]

6. razorback78

Member razorback78 GBAtemp Maniac

Philippines
    but you must also remember that HDDs may crash after several years depending on how you use it. once it crashes all of your precious games will be gone for good if you do not have the original or burned copy on the disc.