[ask.temp] Help TI-4 with an essay topic! [Online Cheating/Botting]

How do you view cheating?

• Burn the f*ckers that do it to the ground >:(

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • I love it. I wouldn't even think of playing an online game without tipping the scales in my favor

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • It's something to be tolerated, but it doesn't ruin a game for me

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • It depends on the circumstances; it's ok sometimes

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an english class that requires me to author and present an essay on issues in various forms of media, including video games. I'm strongly considering cheating/botting in online games (such as tool assisting, breaking an item randomizer, boosting your points, stuff like that.) So without further ado...

How do you view online cheating?
What do you think should be done about online cheaters?
Do you think cheating "enhances" online multiplayer?
How about private rooms? Is it ok if you're just with a group of friends?
How do you feel about things like for-real-profit tool assisted "farming" in MMORPGs? What about tool-assisting in Mario Kart? Or <insert game that you want to rant about here>?

Resources for people who want to use these results in the future
I'll keep an updated list of pros and cons in the OP for anyone that wants to write something similar to this (and needs a source cited (although I don't know if this would be considered "reliable" :rolleyes:))

Pros:
  • Can be used to reveal exploits that need to be patched to developers -usually done in private rooms with friends
  • Anonymous, aside from username (the victims have no one to take their aggression out on in the real world)
  • Can add some fun to the game when with a group of friends who are also using the same set of cheats
Cons:
  • Ruins the experience for others not cheating who work hard to build their skills
  • Will usually result in a ban if you are caught
Useful links:
http://techland.time.com/2013/05/24/cheating-in-online-video-games/
http://internetgames.about.com/od/gamingnews/a/cheating.htm
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.124.1611&rep=rep1&type=pdf

PS: If a moderator wants to move this to General Gaming Discussions, go ahead, I just thought this would be better in EoF

Reactions: Margen67

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Well you see, cheating onlinecan be both good and bad. Cheating can also be called hacking (Skilled COD Players might be familliar with this) Sometimes, cheating or hacking is a way to show and exploit in a certain game that some players want to be patched up and why they make videos of these exploits and post them online. These are usually done in private rooms or a group of friends.

Meanwhile, doing it on a public servers is simply unacceptible! You see on most games, people work hard to excel at online gaming and simply cheating on public servers is an act of selfishness.

I might edit this later.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How do you view online cheating?
Some people say anything that is not in the original game. Though that distinction can get very fuzzy

What do you think should be done about online cheaters?
If your game is bothered by it then you probably want to do something about it, doing something about it also means coding your game properly in the first place.

Do you think cheating "enhances" online multiplayer?
It can do. It can also lessen the experience.

How about private rooms? Is it ok if you're just with a group of friends?
Your friends might not be able to deliver a dick punch over TCP/IP but they probably can still deliver a dick punch in meatspace. To that end probably best only as a joke or with consent/awareness.

How do you feel about things like for-real-profit tool assisted "farming" in MMORPGs? What about tool-assisting in Mario Kart? Or <insert game that you want to rant about here>?

I find it all hilarious myself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjK2lPBzGzo