Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
piratemaple.jpg

"MapleStory's Singapore distributor looks to cut down on a rash of home-run pirate servers, as a plucky teen take the world of big-headed platform battles into his own bedroom.

A story from The Straits Times focuses on 16-year-old Sean Lee, who runs a pirate server out of his bedroom, allowing players to access the pay portions of the game without actually paying. Needless to say, pirate servers are extremely popular with the kids.

'Some items in games are rare and impossible to get on the official server,' said 15-year-old Melissa Ong. 'On a private server, I get the chance to obtain it and test it out.'

Apparently someone is missing the point here. Either way, plucky or not, Sean Lee's server is probably not long for this world.

'We are currently working with developers to take action against the service providers of private servers,' said Mr Ng Kok Khwang, marketing director of AsiaSoft Online.

Lee states that if he receives a warning letter he will shut down immediately, though he worries about letting his community down. I'm not sure if I should be proud of his dedication or upset about the whole law-breaking thing. "

Source

iPikachu

C3's personal flamebot and fail artist
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
QUOTE said:
"MapleStory's Singapore distributor looks to cut down on a rash of home-run pirate servers, as a plucky teen take the world of big-headed platform battles into his own bedroom.

A story from The Straits Times focuses on 16-year-old Sean Lee, who runs a pirate server out of his bedroom, allowing players to access the pay portions of the game without actually paying. Needless to say, pirate servers are extremely popular with the kids.

HAH MAPLESEA you suck!

the pay portions? do they mean cash items?

mapleglobal has more P servers you know 0_0

iPikachu

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
skyman747 said:
23qwerty said:
Heh, I was a GM on the very first server running on Odin Source.
Seriously? I use to play on Odin
ph34r.gif

Half of the original P. Server (There was a split) got sued. The other half, which I am a member of, just got a C&D.
They can't stop these P.Servers. Everytime one goes down, another 5 take it's place.
C&D?
spoken like a true private serverer
biggrin.gif
there are lots of private servers :mwahahaha

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I used to play on one... got up to level 175, but never seemed to hit 200 (the limit is 200, even in the official servers)

I had a TON of 'cash' items... you had to trade in like 50mil Meso's for 10k cash coins

mrfatso

That guy!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
zidane_genome said:
I used to play on one... got up to level 175, but never seemed to hit 200 (the limit is 200, even in the official servers)

I had a TON of 'cash' items... you had to trade in like 50mil Meso's for 10k cash coins

why did this suddenly reminded me of dreamMS?
biggrin.gif
Anyway, don't those guys know that u can't kill private server, maybe they could do what blizzard did with wow private servers? Allow them to function but with certain limitations? So that p server can act as a sort of demo? Anyway buhahaha, P server ftw
biggrin.gif
managed to hit 180++ before real life hit me in the head
frown.gif

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
hmmm... I wouldn't take the guy seriously as his middle name is "Kok" ...
rofl2.gif

I bet the pplz wouldn't have this trouble if they would make it free again and allow some of their own servers to be mod servers

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
...wait, people actually made private MS servers? Hahah. I remember back a few years ago when they were getting "started" but most of them were hoaxes or total failures.

I can't remember what the names of the two I was looking into were. I managed to get an account once, but there was never a client released, at least, before I gave up and stopped caring.

I'm normally opposed to high level rates in private server games, but I played the official MS client thing. Dear God have I never seen such a horrific grind. D:

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
I don't see why they're even bothering tbh, it's not like their losing any money.

Hell I doubt anybody that played Maplestory, private or not, would even be able to pay for the items unless they somehow got a hold of mommy's credit card and decided to waste money on a horrible game instead of using the money for something useful.

Pizzaroo

douchebag
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Law said:
I don't see why they're even bothering tbh, it's not like their losing any money.

Hell I doubt anybody that played Maplestory, private or not, would even be able to pay for the items unless they somehow got a hold of mommy's credit card and decided to waste money on a horrible game instead of using the money for something useful.

like WoW memberships? jk.

iPikachu

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
23qwerty said:
iPikachu said:
hah i got to lvl 200+ and "reborned" and did it over and oevr
Did you play MapleCrusade by any chance?

Nope played Sakura MS and FantasyMS/MapleFantasy(the latter died sometime after i left due to failure of not able to start the gaem)

juggernaut911 said:
hmmm... I wouldn't take the guy seriously as his middle name is "Kok" ...
rofl2.gif

I bet the pplz wouldn't have this trouble if they would make it free again and allow some of their own servers to be mod servers

dry.gif
its an asian name. idiot.
QUOTE(Doomsday Forte @ Jan 4 2009, 07:07 AM) ...wait, people actually made private MS servers? Hahah. I remember back a few years ago when they were getting "started" but most of them were hoaxes or total failures.

I can't remember what the names of the two I was looking into were. I managed to get an account once, but there was never a client released, at least, before I gave up and stopped caring.

I'm normally opposed to high level rates in private server games, but I played the official MS client thing. Dear God have I never seen such a horrific grind. D:
expx5000 meso x 150 !!
ph34r.gif

QUOTE(Law @ Jan 4 2009, 07:10 AM)

i actually used my allowance. secretly. once.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans