ROM Hack Ash - Archaic Sealed Heat (JP)

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm downloading it now, I'll have impressions sometime after.

Regarding the review, the first several paragraphs are all speculation, and pretty silly at that. Having a studio ghost contribute to a game's development is not unheard, and suggests _nothing_ about not wanting to receive credit. Furthermore, choice terminology that he's applying throughout suggests this is the work of a disgruntled fanboy, so a pound of salt should be liberally applied to his 'review'.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Played the first level so far.

The sprite graphics are a lot more mediocre than I had predicted. On par with Fire Emblem, really. Although I don't see it making much difference, they serve their purpose.

Essentially, you're moving your characters like chess pieces around a field a'la any strategy game, but initiate combat which transpires in a traditional RPG manner. Not a bad system, and that's where the real graphical attraction comes into play. The characters and animations are rendered in far higher quality.

Anyway, I think the game looks promising. It's intuitive enough that I was able to figure out everything necessary, including the healing, without being able to read a word.

My only problem so far is that the controls are entirely touch screen driven where a dpad and buttons are preferrable. Why tap several times across multiple menus where a couple simple keypresses will do? Several DS games were plagued by this issue of forcing the functionality where it wasn't necessitated. In fact I know a developer whom worked on one of the first major DS games, and has told me all about the way they were forced into revamping their systems to support touchscreen even where it made the game worse.

Of course, maybe there is an option to enable button controls and I just can't tell the difference. As-is, the menus are rather small so precision tapping is required throughout, which doesn't lend itself well to this sort of game where turn based battles comprise the vast majority of gameplay.

Otherwise, seems like a quality game. I can at least say that I would gladly play it if it were available in english, and recommend it to other RPG/strategy enthusiasts.

Pioggia

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
miruki said:
Mhn... I've read this review and I'm kind of not so interested in translating the game anymore.. I'll take a look at it later to see if it really is that bad but god it sounds awful.. XD

don't tell me your listening to this idiot? this guy said blue dragon was bad! HE INSULTED FFTA!!! ONE OF THE BEST SRPGs ON THE GBA! (imo)
HE ALSO SAID PREPARE FOR THE WORST WHEN MENTIONING LOST ODYSSEY!!!
LOST ODYSSEY!!!!
i've played through the first 6 chapters of ash (before i gave up without any sign of official release or trans in the works) and the gameplay is definitely a lot better than this biased idiot claims
sure the game has it's flaws but it's still a hell of a lotta fun, and he WAY over exaggerated the battle length, they are short in most cases if you know what your doing (which this guy clearly did not)

in short i can;t believe you would decide against translating this game because of an inexperienced half rate reviewer

but whatever ... another dream of ASH trans... brutally crushed ... again ....

NetShira

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm I really didn't find the things Kierkegaard found frustrating...frustrating. To me it was just something different from the norm. The review is a bit harsh and seems to be biassed between what he was expecting to play vs. what ASH is. Personally I like the play I just wish I understood more japanese so I could understand all of the interaction. It's an interresting world that is created when soldiers just pour back into existance from a puddle of goo like terminator 3 turning into mercury hehe.

kjean

Trophies
Website
homeless
XP
Country
Pioggia said:
miruki said:
Mhn... I've read this review and I'm kind of not so interested in translating the game anymore.. I'll take a look at it later to see if it really is that bad but god it sounds awful.. XD

don't tell me your listening to this idiot? this guy said blue dragon was bad! HE INSULTED FFTA!!! ONE OF THE BEST SRPGs ON THE GBA! (imo)
HE ALSO SAID PREPARE FOR THE WORST WHEN MENTIONING LOST ODYSSEY!!!
LOST ODYSSEY!!!!
i've played through the first 6 chapters of ash (before i gave up without any sign of official release or trans in the works) and the gameplay is definitely a lot better than this biased idiot claims
sure the game has it's flaws but it's still a hell of a lotta fun, and he WAY over exaggerated the battle length, they are short in most cases if you know what your doing (which this guy clearly did not)

in short i can;t believe you would decide against translating this game because of an inexperienced half rate reviewer

I think preconceptions are made him fail to play and review well. What a pity.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I've played game for some time before I decided to quit, because I didn't understand one bit of the games dialogs, and I like to know the story and what's going on....
While playing on the bord, graphics aren't really something, actually, the games looks kinda ugly, but when you start the battle.....WOW, effects are so beautiful, and in-game sequences....Really breathtaking..

I know I'd like to play this game in english VERY much, but it actually all depends on others, because I can't help in any way..
frown.gif

EDIT: I just read the review.....Oh boy was that guy wrong......miruki, just get the game, and once you get into battle, you'll see the beauty of this game..

This guy has no friggin idea what he's talking about..He said that this is the worst tactic game since Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, which is one of the best GBA titles that was ever developed..

Really, don't trust this review..........it's a LIE!

miruki

Trophies
Website
geekouts.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Pioggia said:
drama queen much?

I said I'd play the game myself to see if I like it, but I have to say, I'm neither fond of Blue Dragon nor am I much attracted by FFTA (actually I'm not that fond of SRPGs in general). But what makes me interested in this game is the fact the story revolves around a cool-looking heroine instead of your typical wussy J-RPG hero. Anyways, since I will be on vacations for 2 weeks in a few days I wouldn't be able to help until I am back. I already started translating all those weird names.. they really are weird.. like ?????? (parusu no murabito) - "Pulse of the villagers"... what? XD

A-anyways... mhn.. I'll play the game while I'm on vacation, should have plenty of time then and decide if I want to do it then.. who knows what happens in two weeks here too.. oO

Also, I've read another review which said the game is good and the Famitsu rating was pretty high too (33/40), but let's see what I think of the game after I played it.

I'm sure there are still a few other ppl who'd be much more interested in translating the game, I wouldn't be able to do it all by myself anyways!

miruki

Trophies
Website
geekouts.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
kryss said:
miruki said:
?????? (parusu no murabito) - "Pulse of the villagers"... what? XD "Villager from Pars" is what it should be (though the village name is open to interpretation)
I played the game for a few minutes before but it just couldn't hold my attention.
That.. makes alot more sense now.

I fear same will happen to me, but we'll see.

Eternal Myst

Back from the Myst.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
miruki said:
That review is made of fail.

QUOTEThis is the worst SRPG I've played since Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

FFTA was an epic game.The writer of this review lacks taste, or he is just stating his personal opinion in a crappy review.

Kerian

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I started a basic translation Project Months ago on NDSThemes. At first I wanted to it here but since I lack proper game translation hacking skills (to actually put the translation in the game!) I worked with Photoshoping images and all lol and deemed it not appropitate for gbatemp

Would have been better if I started it here
frown.gif
Anyway, maybe you can make use of it:

http://www.ndsthemes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=4377#p4377

it's NOT much since I quickly lost interrested in the game
sleep.gif
- very quickly lol

miruki

Trophies
Website
geekouts.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Pioggia said:
yes, major drama queen, it comes with the whole gay package
happy.gif

problem?
rolleyes.gif
Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but actually I have no problem with whatever sexual orientation ppl have as long as it's nothing completely disturbing. But that reaction of you was a little.. exaggerated, I'm not the only one who could do it.. and like I said I won't be able to do it alone anywas, so even if I say yes, that's no guarantee for anything at all..
tongue.gif

Oath

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
miruki said:
Pioggia said:
yes, major drama queen, it comes with the whole gay package
happy.gif

problem?
rolleyes.gif
Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but actually I have no problem with whatever sexual orientation ppl have as long as it's nothing completely disturbing. But that reaction of you was a little.. exaggerated, I'm not the only one who could do it.. and like I said I won't be able to do it alone anywas, so even if I say yes, that's no guarantee for anything at all..
tongue.gif

My god, you must know my friend Jeff
tongue.gif

buster2178

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi I am buster2178 I like to take up this translation job with the tool you have.
I am using a website to translate the game now with the help of the ASH tool you let me download.
I dont know if this will be good translation but heck it will be in english.

P.S. -- So far 15% complete so far.

yaynds.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, no sabría cómo decirte