ASDA to sell mobiles from a fiver.

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Cyburn2008, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Cyburn2008
    OP

Cyburn2008 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2008
  2. The Teej

The Teej Also known as The Tjalian

Former Staff
    Jun 27, 2004
    England
    When I buy a mobile phone, I always keep the phone, or give it to someone else who needs it. I don't ever throw phones away.

If there's a way of getting your own MIDIs on there, I'm sure these would make great MIDI players, hehe.

3. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    Funny how phones like that would probably cost £100 years ago when phones were heavy and only had 2 line LCD screen along with an antenna that you have to pull out. Makes the toy phones look more sophisticated

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    When I was compelled to have a phone I had one of the cheapo tesco ones and you know it made calls, sent the odd text message, had a battery that lasted about a week if I used the thing and took some serious punishment (more than a few throws against the wall, off high stuff (several stories on occasion) under wheels, through water and what have you).

Having also spent a few weeks now resoldering and repairing phones that have no more than what I had but useless cameras and media players built in because someone was unfortunate enough to drop them from a coffee table or use them outside a clean room I can see this being a good thing.

Of course when less than legit stuff costs that much.....

5. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    I destroyed my first phone (Nokia 3310) because I put it in my jacket when I was in school and I was swinging on my chair when suddenly, my jacket pocket swung under the chair leg and CRACK. Goodbye LCD screen. Cost £50 to repair but by then I was using a phone that had colour screen which was a big deal to me at that time.

6. science

science science rules

Jun 9, 2006
    Canada
    Nice disposable phones for travelers. I had to buy a few when I traveled to America because I'm on a CDMA network

7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Getting off topic perhaps but the last couple of European ferries I went on had sim card machines onboard. Then again it seems Europe actually ended with a half decent phone system somehow.

8. James B.

James B. GBAtemp Regular

Oct 4, 2007
    United States
    USA
    Obviously you haven't had a cell phone from Virgin Mobile.

They suck some hardcore ass, no PC cable, no Bluetooth, no micro SD slot, no Sim Card.

Just a battery.

They.. suck..

EDIT: Just in case you were wondering, this is a 100 dollar phone.

Dont buy it.

9. Linkiboy

Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

May 14, 2006
    United States
    In terms of phones and telecom Europe >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> USA

Especially the cool phone booths they have in france

10. fischju

fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

Jan 11, 2008
    United States
    Is that an intentional pun?

11. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    Friends of the Earth said: "Asda claims to be committed to reducing its environmental impact but is encouraging a throwaway culture by marketing cut-price electronic goods as disposable items."

[​IMG]

Might just buy one now as it seems to be annoying them.