As someone who's never played Monster Hunter, should i start with MH3U or MH4U?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by Aman27deep, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Aman27deep
    OP

Aman27deep GBAtemp Fan

May 3, 2007
    India
    Calcutta.
    Title please. Help!

2. ShawnTRods

ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    4. Definitely 4. Still not the most structured game out there, but teaches you the basics

Aman27deep likes this.
  3. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    From what I understand, MH4U doesn't have underwater battles, and (at least from my experience), it is a pain in MH3U to maneuver in water without being able to control the camera with a 2nd analog stick/nub supplied either by N3DS or CPP. It's one reason why when I got MH3U, I got the Wii U version.

Aman27deep likes this.
  4. adragon123

adragon123 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 29, 2014
    United States
    Go with 4

Aman27deep likes this.
  5. Aman27deep
    OP

Aman27deep GBAtemp Fan

May 3, 2007
    India
    Calcutta.
    Thanks. Will skip 3.

Is 4 noob friendly?

6. KJ1

KJ1 Old Member

GBAtemp Patron
    KJ1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 2, 2014
    India
    I myself haven't played a MH game yet. But, I think I will go with MH4. Also, Aman27deep are you planning to buy that game because I think you have N3ds, isn't it?

7. chemistryfreak

chemistryfreak GBAtemp Fan

Nov 8, 2008
    If you have a Wii U, you might want to try out MH3G HD Ver. Otherwise just go straight to 4G/4U.
    If you to push through the initial part of the game and reach High/G rank, it will guarantee you hundred of hours of fun with friends & strangers alike!

Aman27deep likes this.
  8. Aman27deep
    OP

Aman27deep GBAtemp Fan

May 3, 2007
    India
    Calcutta.

Ain't gonna buy it mate. Will play when the gatewait ends.

9. ShawnTRods

ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    Monster hunter series isnt noob friendly in general.
    but 4 teaches you the most basics for you to get started

Aman27deep likes this.
  10. KJ1

KJ1 Old Member

GBAtemp Patron
    KJ1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 2, 2014
    India
    Oh, good luck. :) Be patient! :lol:

11. Blaze163

Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

Nov 19, 2008
    Coventry, UK
    Yeah, there's no such thing as a Newb Friendly Monster Hunter game. I've been with the series since the original Freedom on PSP and I got reality checked HARD by my first round against Yian Kut Ku, embarrasing as that is to admit, especially now that I can kill it in less than a minute. Weapon wouldn't pierce, he ripped right through my armour, I didn't understand. Then I took the time to get into the mindset of a Hunter and it all clicked...been addicted ever since. Just handed Gore Magala his arse in a doggy bag.

As for starting off, my advice, go with 4 since as others have said the underwater battles are a pain in the arse in 3, even with dual analogue controls they're still slow and kinda boring. Besides, 4 has a greater variety in the fights so far, more monsters, more gear, it's just the better choice all round. The Sword and Shield is a good weapon to start off with until you feel ready to experiment with the different weapon types. Watch a few tutorial vides on Youtube or something if you get stuck, there's a lot of people out there who are happy to help bring new players into the series. Stick with it and once you get past the initial hurdle and develop that mindset, you'll find one of the most rewarding games ever made. Don't worry. I had to go through that trial by fire and so did pretty much everyone else, we were all newbs once.