Hardware As Nintendo Gamers Here - Should I buy PS4 or Xbox One?

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It ultimately comes down to which system has exclusive that appeal you the most.

I'm sticking with PS4. Most RPG games tend to stick on Sony side.

fdias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm gonna be the only vote for Xbox One here :) I'm a Nintendo fan and also Wii U owner. Having owned all 3 last gen consoles (Wii, X360 and PS3) I can honestly say PS3 was the only one I never played. I hate its controller and really enjoy more of the Xbox titles. People don't care much for kinect and to be honest kinect 1 had very little going on, but if you consider that kinect 2 comes with all Xbox One systems then it's only logical there will be a lot more games made for it.
I also believe people trash Xbox One because it feels right. I mean everybody loves to hate MS or M$ as some would say. I think competition is great because without it MS would really make us pay and arm and a leg for anything, but being totally impartial and looking at the games, controller and other media possibilities I believe the Xbox One is just an overall better choice. Again it's a matter of opinion, but I wouldn't consider specs that much as I remember hearing the ps3 was much better than the x360, but never could see the difference on a game, in fact some games looked better on X360.
Anyway MS controller is a masterpiece and XONE's controller is even better than the x360 so for me is a no brainer. April 2014 I'm getting my XONE with Titanfall.

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am a big Nintendo fan, and a big Sony fan. I own all 3 of the last gen systems and although I found they all had their strengths, I much preferred the Wii and PS3. The only reason I even got a 360 was because I found a cheap RGH model and I figured I'd play some of those exclusive Square-Enix/Mistalker RPGs.

I currently own a Wii-U, but I expect I will get a PS4 eventually since Sony has kind of taken on the mantle of being the jRPG players choice. I know more titles are cross-platform now like Kingdom Hearts 3, but meh.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Buy a PC? I mean you can get something that has graphics the same as a PS4 for less than a PS4, plus you know...it does other stuff.

Reactions: Boy12

lordofthereef

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be 100% fair (and I'm not a huge "PC master race" guy or anything), the vast majority of the games coming to PS4 and Xbox One are being released on PC as well, and usually at a lower price. When combined with the big push now being made to get PC's in the living room, you are really doing yourself a disservice if you do not consider "buying a gaming PC" as a potential option nowadays.

I agree a lot with what you said, especially regarding most titles launching on PC anyway. Game companies are no longer wanting to limit their title to one console anymore. It just doesnt make a whole lot of financial sense.'t also helps that both the SBONE and PS4 are basically PCs anymore (in hardware), so developing cross platform is a lot easier.

In terms of games being cheaper, that is absolutely true, usually by about $10. It would take quite a few games to make up for the price difference between a decent gaming rig and a video game console. Let's just use a conservative number of $700 for a gaming pc, built by you (I won't get into the fact that there are many people that are incapable and don't have the technical know-how to do this). Mind you, that number is without a legit operating system, or mouse, or keyboard (these latter two can be had for pretty cheap, but if you are going for gaming peripherals, that's probably another $100 added to the price right there)... So we have spent AT LEAST $200 more than the next closest console (talking XBONE and PS4 here). That's about twenty games purchased, before you start seeing returns. AND that assumes you don't want to sell your used games, because you get pennies on the dollar for PC games, for the most part.

When speaking of the big push for PCs in the living room, I assume you are referring to home theater PCS? Forgive me if not... Assuming that I have assumed (lol) correctly, I would really rather not have an HTPC as my main entertainment device as the power consumption, heat, and noise** are going to be pretty bad for that purpose. I guess you could always turn the PC off when not in use (which is a bit of a PITA for a home theater... and of course there will be no background downloading/recording of shows going on). You could also quiet things down in various ways, such as water cooling, but we are now revisiting the price problem. In short, I just don't see the living room HTPC being the same as the gaming rig in most households.

** About a year ago I built an HTPC with a low profile box, fanless power supply, etc. for close to $600 itself. It is completely air cooled/silent, uses about 45-60w of power, and records from an external TV tuner card as well as some more "questionable sources" lol. Anyway, I may have gone to the extreme when considering power consumption and heat (though this setup should easily last me until 4K becomes mainstream, which I really don't see happening for maybe half a decade still), but there is no way my beast gaming rig would fly as an HTPC (and no way this HTPC would fly as a gaming rig). And even if it did, placement for gaming is a bit crap. One can't really play mouse + keyboard PC games from the couch like they can with a gaming system/controller. :)

By a PC? I mean you can get something that has graphics the same as a PS4 for less than a PS4, plus you know...it does other stuff.

TC mentioned he had one already a few posts back.

Having owned all 3 last gen consoles (Wii, X360 and PS3) I can honestly say PS3 was the only one I never played. I hate its controller and really enjoy more of the Xbox titles. People don't care much for kinect and to be honest kinect 1 had very little going on, but if you consider that kinect 2 comes with all Xbox One systems then it's only logical there will be a lot more games made for it.

I agree about controllers, however having healed the DualSHock 4, it really has been improved. I think Sony finally got their controller right.

As far as Kinect, I think you are right about more titles adapting it in the future. There is also a lot more technology and capability built into this next kinect, thus it is able to do a lot more. But it's really fresh. Hard to tell where it will go.

Reactions: PityOnU

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree a lot with what you said, especially regarding most titles launching on PC anyway. Game companies are no longer wanting to limit their title to one console anymore. It just doesnt make a whole lot of financial sense.'t also helps that both the SBONE and PS4 are basically PCs anymore (in hardware), so developing cross platform is a lot easier.

In terms of games being cheaper, that is absolutely true, usually by about $10. It would take quite a few games to make up for the price difference between a decent gaming rig and a video game console. Let's just use a conservative number of $700 for a gaming pc, built by you (I won't get into the fact that there are many people that are incapable and don't have the technical know-how to do this). Mind you, that number is without a legit operating system, or mouse, or keyboard (these latter two can be had for pretty cheap, but if you are going for gaming peripherals, that's probably another $100 added to the price right there)... So we have spent AT LEAST $200 more than the next closest console (talking XBONE and PS4 here). That's about twenty games purchased, before you start seeing returns. AND that assumes you don't want to sell your used games, because you get pennies on the dollar for PC games, for the most part.

When speaking of the big push for PCs in the living room, I assume you are referring to home theater PCS? Forgive me if not... Assuming that I have assumed (lol) correctly, I would really rather not have an HTPC as my main entertainment device as the power consumption, heat, and noise** are going to be pretty bad for that purpose. I guess you could always turn the PC off when not in use (which is a bit of a PITA for a home theater... and of course there will be no background downloading/recording of shows going on). You could also quiet things down in various ways, such as water cooling, but we are now revisiting the price problem. In short, I just don't see the living room HTPC being the same as the gaming rig in most households.

** About a year ago I built an HTPC with a low profile box, fanless power supply, etc. for close to $600 itself. It is completely air cooled/silent, uses about 45-60w of power, and records from an external TV tuner card as well as some more "questionable sources" lol. Anyway, I may have gone to the extreme when considering power consumption and heat (though this setup should easily last me until 4K becomes mainstream, which I really don't see happening for maybe half a decade still), but there is no way my beast gaming rig would fly as an HTPC (and no way this HTPC would fly as a gaming rig). And even if it did, placement for gaming is a bit crap. One can't really play mouse + keyboard PC games from the couch like they can with a gaming system/controller. :)

I appreciate the thoroughness of this response. Great post! +1

In outright cost, buying a dedicated gaming PC is absolutely inferior to buying a console (right now, at the start of the generation, at least). The sweet spot (bang for buck wise) is if you are already in the market for a new desktop or laptop. When used exclusively for gaming, a console would be a better purchase over a PC - however - buying a new PC and a new console is going to be at least comparable in cost to buying a new PC that can also play games.

When I referred to the big push for the living room, I was referring to the upcoming Steam boxes, as well as HTPC's. Personally, I can see a huge push coming for PC's in the living room because of new, smaller and lower-power form factors which are also relatively powerful. Also, the traditional PC market is all but saturated at this point, so I believe companies are going to be pressured into trying to innovate to make sales. I have no hard facts (off the top of my head at least) to support this, but it's the way I can see it going for sure. I'm particularly interested to see what happens when they release the Kinect 2 for PC.

You also have to consider all of the first-party support the new controllers (PS4 and XBOne) are receiving in regards to making them easy to use on a PC. You also have the new Steam controller as well. When combined with so many titles becoming cross-platform, you have control methods just as convenient as on any console available to you on your PC, with support for them already coded into games.

Where consoles win big, and will probably continue to do so for a long time coming, is the fact that they are much lower maintenance and require much less effort to configure than general purpose PC's, especially when it comes to gaming. While there already exist TV friendly interfaces on PC (hell, even the modern UI on Windows is begging for the big screen), they are not ready to go, out of the box. And if playing PC games with my group of friends is anything to go by, the average user isn't able to setup and configure everything themselves. Then you also have to worry about all the different online stores and DRM implementations that really just ruin your day. Happily, this is not yet the case on consoles.

Just my two cents of course, so take it at face value.

lordofthereef

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you consider what some people pay for cars (and I am not even talking fancy sportscars... I am talking standard SUVs and the like), $500 isn't much. Your average truck finance is close to that cost per month.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I grew up with a PS3 but I modded it and loved it so I never got the chance to make friends on PSN so I have no ties to people on it. Most people I know have a Xbox 360 so I would like to make the switch but not sure. How does one make friends online in games btw?

I also already own a Wii U.

Go with whichever has the games you're interested. This is how I choose the consoles I buy.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
cos m$ are c***s :P

Any Sony are the kind of folks you would have round for a couple of ciders?

Also OP why would you go SLI? I know it is slightly better now than it was and the option of having some four or more monitors without pissing around with a triple head to go (by the way http://www.kegetys.fi/downloads/softth/ might be worth a look).

In outright cost, buying a dedicated gaming PC is absolutely inferior to buying a console (right now, at the start of the generation, at least). The sweet spot (bang for buck wise) is if you are already in the market for a new desktop or laptop. When used exclusively for gaming, a console would be a better purchase over a PC - however - buying a new PC and a new console is going to be at least comparable in cost to buying a new PC that can also play games.

I managed to price up a xbone a like build several months back for about the same price as a xbone ( http://gbatemp.net/threads/first-official-gta-v-gameplay-trailer.350961/page-3#post-4704276 ), if you are also in the market for a new machine and have what would be Xbone money to add onto the few hundred it is for a normal PC then it is easy. Right now I reckon it would probably be even better.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Any Sony are the kind of folks you would have round for a couple of ciders?
no but least they don't try to make you pay for 2 internets, stop you from sharing your games or say they've taken bs anti piracy measures out but their still in there. and last but not least program the console to FAIL again and again with the rrod (yes it's still in the xbone too)

there really must be a lot of stupid fucking idiots in this world to keep them in business. i'm hoping they come last this gen but of course the x-tards won't make that happen :glare:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all