As Covid-19 takes its toll on the industry, SEGA will sell off most of its arcade business

7c4c3b2520d3dfca300f471915a24002.gif

Many businesses are facing adverse effects due to Covid-19, including those within the gaming industry, and perhaps doing worst of all are arcades. Sega Sammy--the parent company behind both SEGA's home gaming and arcade sectors--has faced "remarkable" losses during 2020, resulting in the company deciding to sell off a majority of its shares in its arcade entertainment subsidiary. Next month, SEGA will sell 85.1% of its ownership of Sega Entertainment Co. to a Japanese business called Genda. Following the sale, the existing arcade systems throughout Japan will still retain the SEGA branding, and SEGA itself will still develop arcade games, but the ownership of those arcades will belong to Genda.

:arrow: Source

Patxinco

Riding a Shooting Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Username finally relevant.
(tx=ch in my country)

Well, feels like they are outsourcing the arcade, if they still make the games but they don't have to pay for the machines, the rentals of the different places, they could be cutting losses by a lot.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Arcades are completely different in Japan, it's not like the Arcades here where it's mostly the same games from the 90s and early 2000s.
There are excelent arcade games in Japan, they even have smartcards that register characters, stats, etc. It's not just "Insert Coin".

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Damn, this is incredibly saddening

Do you live in Japan or somewhere else in Asia? Because most people has not seen ir played Sega Arcade machines in over a decade and those were old machines.

Sega is not the only one affected, just the one we hear about.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I am also shocked they still made arcade games, though I suspect this news is more of an end of an era/did you know type deal.

Arcades still exist here, though are usually relegated to seaside towns and most things there are gambling deals with maybe a light gun game, a car/motorbike game, maybe a fighting game, and a gimmick (last one I went to had an older game that blew air in your face and pretended like you were on skis).
before the age of chaos, pandemic and lockdown, i used to go to Cinema a lot, there are surprisingly a lot of arcade machines, people play them all time before film starts.
People has just changed the way and place to install those machine, but you can still find them plenty around, especially when they are part of Cinema business model.

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
www.nintendoreporters.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
A piece of nostalgia ... loved a lot of the good old SEGA arcade cabinets.

If things get really hard for SEGA ... which I dont hope ... I hope they please consider joining efforts with Nintendo.
I would reaally reaaaalllyy like to see a 3D Sonic that does tick all the boxes in the right way. 3D Sonic now is nothing more but a bad meme.

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
A piece of nostalgia ... loved a lot of the good old SEGA arcade cabinets.

If things get really hard for SEGA ... which I dont hope ... I hope they please consider joining efforts with Nintendo.
I would reaally reaaaalllyy like to see a 3D Sonic that does tick all the boxes in the right way. 3D Sonic now is nothing more but a bad meme.
Eh, sonic forces wasn’t really bad in a funny like 06, it was just kinda depressingly mediocre

Reactions: PatrickD85

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
www.nintendoreporters.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Eh, sonic forces wasn’t really bad in a funny like 06, it was just kinda depressingly mediocre
Sonic should not be funny because the game is bad, but I simply can not cal Sonic Forces any form of good.
Sonic Forces still till this day gets pushed as a great game by SEGA ... which it really is not. It is way to buggy to be great ;)

But I still want an epic 3D Sonic to get made at some point.
I will never give up the love for the blue hedgehog though ... he is part of my childhood, in which he indeed was GREAT.

D

Deleted User

Dude, that emulator has some shady shit surrounding it from what I've heard.
[/MEDIA]

Please explain further I've been using it for a year and never had a problem. What do you mean by shady shit? The only thing I can think of is they have patreons? So does m4xw. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Of course it's not the same as being at an arcade but in my city we don't even have any arcades so it's moot to me anyway. It is still a fantastic emulator.

Honestly I can't think of anything that you may say that's shady that I would care one bit about. It's an emulator that works good that's ALL that matters. Unless they're selling secrets of the United States to the enemy or something? lol.

Last edited by ,

deltagalone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
A world with no pachinko machines? Maybe devs will finally invest more money and time into console games like they should have if they wanted to be part of the industry. :toot:

But what if the games have pachinko games IN THE GAME!? :ninja:
shenmue has some in game games i think pachinko was planned but is frowned upon there i not sure if they implemented i haven touched a dreamcast in ages.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sad to see Covid-19 as the reason for the sale but at least they'll still be making Arcade games
I used to work for a company that went under due to Brexit .....which was a complete load of bollocks, but that's what the media said.
Now in this case, are Sega in that bad a shape due to the pandemic they need to get rid of their arcades ...or does Microsoft simply not want them maybe.....?? :unsure:

zeveroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once again saying goodbye to some of my childhood. First their systems and now there are kids. At least they have software development left, I guess.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: @_@