As Covid-19 takes its toll on the industry, SEGA will sell off most of its arcade business

7c4c3b2520d3dfca300f471915a24002.gif

Many businesses are facing adverse effects due to Covid-19, including those within the gaming industry, and perhaps doing worst of all are arcades. Sega Sammy--the parent company behind both SEGA's home gaming and arcade sectors--has faced "remarkable" losses during 2020, resulting in the company deciding to sell off a majority of its shares in its arcade entertainment subsidiary. Next month, SEGA will sell 85.1% of its ownership of Sega Entertainment Co. to a Japanese business called Genda. Following the sale, the existing arcade systems throughout Japan will still retain the SEGA branding, and SEGA itself will still develop arcade games, but the ownership of those arcades will belong to Genda.

:arrow: Source

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am also shocked they still made arcade games, though I suspect this news is more of an end of an era/did you know type deal.

Arcades still exist here, though are usually relegated to seaside towns and most things there are gambling deals with maybe a light gun game, a car/motorbike game, maybe a fighting game, and a gimmick (last one I went to had an older game that blew air in your face and pretended like you were on skis).

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They don't have the talent anymore anyway they're better off just selling the franchises off. They were living off Hideo Kojima the first half of last decade and once he was gone it was all over.
That's true. But from the looks of it, they aren't willing to part ways with their IPs anytime soon which is frustrating to a lot of fans.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

That's true. But from the looks of it, they aren't willing to part ways with their IPs anytime soon which is frustrating to a lot of fans.

Yeah me and my cousin who are huge HUGE Hideo Kojima fans were all over this before it even went down. The CEO that somehow got hired doesn't even like video games. He bitched at Kojima to hurry and make Metal Gear Solid V and didn't even let him finish it because of how much money it cost, Konami made their money back in 12 days. It was a sad ending to such a legendary series IMO the best game series ever.

They seem content with using for example Castlevania as a pachinko machine well nothing we can do about it. The series had really not been good since at the very latest the DS games but really Symphony of the Night. They were going downhill for a long time but like I said living off Kojima and they kicked him to the curb so unless they made a game that everyone convinces me is so great I had to play (yeah right) I will never touch another Konami game.

Last edited by ,
D

Deleted User

A world with no pachinko machines? Maybe devs will finally invest more money and time into console games like they should have if they wanted to be part of the industry. :toot:

But what if the games have pachinko games IN THE GAME!? :ninja:
lowkey, i'd rather interactive pachinko machines over loot boxes, that way i can see what reward i can potentially get beforehand

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

WiiHomebrew+Snes

Member of GBAtemp's shadow district
Trophies
Website
www.lucar.io
XP
Country
United States
It's spelled sniggering in British English at least. It's super common in Harry Potter if I'm not misremembering... Oh well. Perfectly fine word.

I figured that would be it. I would remember if they spelt it that way in Harry Potter, likely changed it for books sold here.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arcades were on life support Covid esentially pulled the plug. You can't have people standing next to each other playing arcades with social distancing.

For those that have a decent PC there are a lot of cracked PC games out there with an emulator called Teknoparrot you should check them out. Games like Luigi's Mansion Arcade, Time Crisis 5 (better with a lightgun that I have) lots of racing games, lots of fighting games. Everything.

Check out this list https://teknogods.github.io/compatibility.html

Dude, that emulator has some shady shit surrounding it from what I've heard.

Even if it's a good emulator, you just can't emulate the social experience, not to mention visual, audio, and in some games' case, control experience.

Still, this is just a sad way to see these businesses die off. Hell, I saw that Club Sega (I think it was in Osaka, those who've played any Yakuza game that isn't the Samurai ones will know what I'm talking about) closed down. I wanted to go and experience some of those one of these days if and when I have the money and the right opportunity when I consider some of the places I want to visit and experience one day before I bite the dust.

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, what's the next thing I enjoy to get ripped from my feeble paws? It was hard enough already for me to enjoy my long-time passion for arcade games with it being more dominant in Japan, and now it became almost impossible due to people ignoring safety regulations during COVID causing lockdowns.. And now some random Japanese company is probably going to develop and distribute exclusively in their country, which will probably cause an even further shortage of arcade games out here. Just great.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, what's the next thing I enjoy to get ripped from my feeble paws? It was hard enough already for me to enjoy my long-time passion for arcade games with it being more dominant in Japan, and now it became almost impossible due to people ignoring safety regulations during COVID causing lockdowns.. And now some random Japanese company is probably going to develop and distribute exclusively in their country, which will probably cause an even further shortage of arcade games out here. Just great.

Parsec: "Oh, hey guys! How's it hangin'!?"

StrayGuitarist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Parsec: "Oh, hey guys! How's it hangin'!?"
Never heard of Parsec until now, but I'd love to see it work on physical arcade cabinets, without requiring a fantastic internet connection, provide the same social satisfaction, and have no or unnoticeable latency.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never heard of Parsec until now, but I'd love to see it work on physical arcade cabinets, without requiring a fantastic internet connection, provide the same social satisfaction, and have no or unnoticeable latency.

And from one session with an older brother of mine, I was able to! Granted, I'm not sure what qualifies as a "fantastic" Internet connection, but he said it was like he was at my house playing fighting games!

I'd say the most practical solution for the "arcade experience" is to use a fightstick like the HORI RAP4.

As for social interaction, the most you can count on atm is Discord calls or something similar. My brother hasn't really played games on PC since the days of GameSpy and Counter Strike Source, so he's not aware of Discord, and we just used the phone to communicate, which was a damn shame because I wanted to get his opinion of this guy's voice over the Blue Yeti X mic.

As for latency, it was fine for the most part, with maybe one or two times where things went awry for a second on my brother's end, as I was the host (which requires Windows to do, unfortunately for those running Linux machines atm :( ). He could defeat me once or twice in the games we picked, for what it's worth.

If you have any other questions, feel free to hmu. :)

Last edited by Silent_Gunner,

nashismo

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
This is gonna turn into another poltical shitshow isn’t it?

Why is it that a possibly "fake" virus problem is a political one? I have found no evidence of such virus, look on the evidence by Doctor Andrew Kaufman. The OMS has a sample in which there is no virus, only exosomes (which all of us generate, wether in small quantities or large quantities).

If you test for the virus, you have 40% to 50% of testing positive (because of said sample is being used). Which is of course nonsense, but, the reason why there are so many cases.

The theories behind all of this deception are not my problem, I only see the facts. I have spoken with nurses and doctors and asked them to give me the sample they have (given by the OMS) and NO ONE has been willing to show it, wonder why?

Here is a video from march where the "exosome case" is being analized:

Last edited by nashismo,

StrayGuitarist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And from one session with an older brother of mine, I was able to! Granted, I'm not sure what qualifies as a "fantastic" Internet connection, but he said it was like he was at my house playing fighting games!

I'd say the most practical solution for the "arcade experience" is to use a fightstick like the HORI RAP4.

As for social interaction, the most you can count on atm is Discord calls or something similar. My brother hasn't really played games on PC since the days of GameSpy and Counter Strike Source, so he's not aware of Discord, and we just used the phone to communicate, which was a damn shame because I wanted to get his opinion of this guy's voice over the Blue Yeti X mic.

As for latency, it was fine for the most part, with maybe one or two times where things went awry for a second on my brother's end, as I was the host (which requires Windows to do, unfortunately for those running Linux machines atm :( ). He could defeat me once or twice in the games we picked, for what it's worth.

If you have any other questions, feel free to hmu. :)

I lived, for my whole life until recently, in a part of California where you're lucky to get 2-3 Mbps, if anything at all. I was lucky to move to a place with much better service, but most of my friends still have garbage rural internet, usually resulting in Discord calls being hard to deal with on their own, let alone doing anything like this. Not to mention, I don't have a fightstick, nor the money to obtain one as most of the ones I've seen that are even worth your time are around $80+.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I lived, for my whole life until recently, in a part of California where you're lucky to get 2-3 Mbps, if anything at all. I was lucky to move to a place with much better service, but most of my friends still have garbage rural internet, usually resulting in Discord calls being hard to deal with on their own, let alone doing anything like this. Not to mention, I don't have a fightstick, nor the money to obtain one as most of the ones I've seen that are even worth your time are around $80+.

I hear ya'. The few times I've used Parsec myself I usually just used a standard controller just to keep things moving along so I'm not holding things up thanks to software shenanigans regarding inputs, mappings, and all that fun stuff!

Still, there's people hosting games and everything else in between if you want to give it a try. I can't guarantee the quality of those streams, as there was one guy who's MKX games was running smoothly while looking like a YT video playing on the PS3 Internet browser. YMMV with what's in the Arcade section.

Reactions: StrayGuitarist

StrayGuitarist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hear ya'. The few times I've used Parsec myself I usually just used a standard controller just to keep things moving along so I'm not holding things up thanks to software shenanigans regarding inputs, mappings, and all that fun stuff!

Still, there's people hosting games and everything else in between if you want to give it a try. I can't guarantee the quality of those streams, as there was one guy who's MKX games was running smoothly while looking like a YT video playing on the PS3 Internet browser. YMMV with what's in the Arcade section.
Yeah, this is interesting to me regardless. I'd like to see some HFTF love here, although it's a shame I can't use my actual Dreamcast for it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-