Artificial Intelligence

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by NoSoulX, Apr 13, 2007.

Apr 13, 2007

Artificial Intelligence by NoSoulX at 7:34 PM (2,179 Views / 0 Likes) 34 replies

1. NoSoulX
    OP

Newcomer NoSoulX Advanced Member

Finland
    What's the latest on AI progress? Are they starting to implement neural networkss as part of AI?

[​IMG]

2. Relys

Member Relys Master of Computer Science

United States
    True "AI" will never happen. We just don't have the "thing" to create life.

3. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    We will get close though. My University is a top mathematical and computer science university in Canada, and we have an A.I. program that combines CS with Psychology.
    I do think that biology is more important though, as you need to study what you are modelling after in the first place.

4. trepid

Newcomer trepid Member

United States
    yes we do they're called reproductive organs
    but I didn't think AI had anything to do with creating life, hence the 'artificial'. Isn't it something more like a self-evolving logic system?

5. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    Genetics is moving along in a eeringly fast pace. It is said that if we can arrange DNA on our own within the zygote, then that is a successful creation of life. However, creating life has nothing to do with A.I. and vice versa. Having a computer that can learn by it self already fulfills most of the requirements. Deep-blue is one of those computers.

6. Jeda

Member Jeda GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    Yes it does have a lot to do with creating life. Just image what the dreamed for end result would look like. Take the Turing Test for example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_test

So what happens if the AI gets good enough that a human couldn't notice the difference between talking to it and talking to a human? It would be a small step to build an organic body around such an AI. It would still be different from a human. Or... would it?

And: Yeah we've still a very far way to go in that part of science. Just never say never.

7. jaxxster

Member jaxxster The Heretic

United Kingdom
    I dont like the thought of real AI. One day they'll be loadsa robots around like in "AI" and that one with will smith in.

8. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    [​IMG] You didn't read the whole post, did you? Artificial intelligence is by definition a human like mind made by humans. You cannot actually make a life without borrowing it from something that already lives, then it would not be A.I. You could try to arrange the organic matters by monomers, but that would take bilions of years, which the earth would expire or we would've already died with this much pollution and global warming. A well built computer that teaches itself and have the ability to judge is an A.I. by definition. Human can not creat life, period. However, machines are possible, but that does not count as life. Take biology and look up the scientific definition of what life really is.

9. bobrules

Member bobrules GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    That will never happen, humans will always be smarter than computers.

10. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    Lol, Will smith will save us, won't he?
    [​IMG]
    ...Guess not.

11. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    Hey, I wasn't born yesterday.. I know full well, everybody's a robot except me.
    You guys ain't fooling nobody.
    *click* obody
    *click* obody
    *click* obody
    *click* ody-dy-dy-dy-dy
    *click*

12. Azimuth

Member Azimuth Chicken Teriyaki Boy!

Canada
    Sure they will....

13. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    In my nationality, there was a legend of a mirror that allowed you to view the world. During the 1800s, "scientists" dismissed this as being impossible, even though the philosophers always believed that it existsed or at least, it will. I can say that there is no better representation of that legend than the television. So as long as you believe, then there must be a way for anything to be invented.

Feelings are hard to learn. Actually emotion can be easily taught, what to feel in what situation. However, the impact on a A.I. and human will never be the same.

14. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    The problem with A.I. is that it needs to be programmed.
    A robot can´t learn, the best it can do is react based on his program, and programs will always have bugs.
    Also...last time I saw they barely could walk. [​IMG]

Sure, they´re great at chess, but there´s a limit of possibilities there, a Asimovesque future seems pretty unreal to me.

15. Azimuth

Canada
    If AI don't replace us, we will replace our bodies. Transfer our thoughts into pure information and beam that to different planets where bodies are waiting. Probably the only way we will ever be able to travel any significant distances.

Yes I know its lame, but this stuff is interesting in theory.

16. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    I doesn't need to be a walking talking thing. It is artificial INTELLIGENCE. As I said, a chip can be A.I. Also, a program can be programmed so that it can recieve information, it could be said that it's am early stage to learn.

Oh and Double D or Azu something... sorry... That would be more difficult to do than A.I. [​IMG]

17. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    i dun care about AI, i just want to gain the ability to jump like jordan [​IMG]

18. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    But it´s not intelligence and it´s not learning.
    When I press "g" on firefox´s adress bar and it shows gbatemp.net it´s not because it´s learning it´s because it was programmed to do that.

I think this is another "term" war [​IMG]

19. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    Let's not start a war shall we? [​IMG]
    I've been through bootcamp and know the 17 steps of battle procedure and been taught basic idea of tatics and war strategies. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    What I'm trying to say is saving information. Like a chess game made by deep blue actually recieves data from what moves the player made and the mistakes it made to imporve its skills. I think that is an early step to A.I.

20. Azimuth

Canada
    whats easier, changing body parts or teaching an inanimate object to think?
    We are already seeing applications of cyborgs nowadays, prosthetics... its only a matter of time till we figure out how to trap brain synapses onto other media and transfer that from place to place.

And as lagman was saying, for something to qualify as intelligence it must be able to interpret variables outside of what it is 'programmed' to. Nowadays computers like deep blue do nothing but learn new details on something which is already programmed. Like its famous chess playing, if it was really intelligent then merely showing it a chess board and talking to it will cause it to learn the rules just as any human would.

Even though progress is slow, i still dream of cyborg babes [​IMG]