1. JuanMena

OP JuanMena GBAtemp 90's Fan

Mexico
    Captura.PNG

Digital color practice.
    Inks are done by Matt James. This is not a drawing I made myself. I wish I had this skill, but I'm still practicing and I'm still against using references.
    For this practice, I didn't took out the white from the page. It's a common practice to do it this way, one's supposed to turn the inked page whites into alpha, and then you proceed to color beneath that layer with inks and alpha.
    But I've never used Multiply Layers, so I kind of wanted to see how they worked.
    I've always used normal layers, because I'm more used to paint traditionally and I thought that layer modes were confusing.
    Turns out that they work amazingly, and I can use less layers to color.
    I think from now on I'm going to use this layer mode.
    I'm trying to respect the volume of the shapes and the anatomy, so I'm trying my best to render this realistically.
    PS: Not finished. This night has been exceptionally hot, and you can feel the humidity in the air, even indoors.
    My country's environment is terrible.
    Some days are fucking cold, and some days it's a sauna suddenly.​

Last edited by JuanMena, Mar 27, 2020
    DinohScene, x65943 and alexander1970 like this.
  2. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.
    Global Moderator

United States
    Looks good!

Why are you against using references? You don't have to copy it, but looking at an image can give you some idea about how something is supposed to look

3. JuanMena

Mexico
    Because what if I CAN'T FIND that exact reference that I need in order to make a pose or something else?
    That's why I try not to rely too much on them.

I accept though, that references helps to produce faster. But for now, I'm still "training" to do stuff without them.

I highly recommend people to watch how Jim Lee or Adam Hughes draws, they shows exactly what I mean, and that's the level I want to get.

4. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.
    Global Moderator

United States
    I tend not to look at references to copy the pose, but more to get a general idea

They are very helpful - especially if you are drawing a character you already drew once before

5. JuanMena

Mexico
    Now that you mention it... I meant to say that I do not copy my poses, but I do use references for likeness of characters, specially with fan art.
    I found this site that has concept art and promotional art of videogames. This has helped me a lot when it comes to draw Fanart.

I make a lot of KOF, Street Fighter and Marvel fan art, and sometimes I can't make their costumes, so I rely on those pictures.

I didn't knew you draw too ^_^

x65943 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Colors, James,