Arsenal 12/31/10

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Another World, Jan 2, 2011.

Jan 2, 2011

Arsenal 12/31/10 by Another World at 4:09 AM (2,704 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. Another World
    OP

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    Arsenal 12/31/10
    NEW NDS Homebrew
    [​IMG]

Arsenal is a "bullet hell" shoot-um-up for the NDS. The game currently has only 1 level but includes a level editor (.NET required).

[​IMG] Download
    [​IMG] Source

2. Ron

Member Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    Looks interesting. May dl when there are more levels.

3. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    Well with the level editor I guess you could make your own up - except I can't get the dam NDS to run

On DS all I get is a red screen with a load of Hex numbers
    In DeSmuMe it just crashes

4. smealum

Member smealum growing up sucks.

United States
    Since the game uses EFS it's kind of a pain to get it to run in DeSmuMe; but it should run great on no$gba if you have that. [​IMG]
    As for the red screen with all the hex numbers, i'm guessing you're refering to a guru meditation error... if it happened even before the splashscreen showed, then it's probably related to filesystem initialization... what card are you using to run it ? And could you take a picture of the red screen ? Thanks. [​IMG]

5. CannonFoddr

United Kingdom
    Can't get a screenshot as I accidentally left my Camera round sisters over Xmas but you're right about 'Guru Meditation Error!' - but I hope these help
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    The problem is each time I try running it I get different figures
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

The card I'm using is a Supercard DSTwo, I've tried running it as a 'plugin' as well as a 'normal' DS_Game (inside a folder & also on the root) and get the 'Red Screens', even tried running it through 'DSOrganize' (also get 2 red screens) but trying to run it through Moonshell2 - all I get is 2 white screens

Oh FYI - also tried it on M3i0 (using 'Wood for M3' v1.20) and Acekard 2i (+AKAIO 1.8.1) & it works OK on both - so I guess it is a DSTwo specific problem

6. smealum

United States
    Well it seems the error is coming from libnds, which is quite strange... Unfortunately, since I don't have a DStwo myself I can't really do anything about it, which sucks since so many people have a DStwo nowadays. [​IMG]
    Thanks for letting me know. [​IMG]

7. CannonFoddr

United Kingdom
    No probs - glad to help out wherever possible

It's a shame I don't know how to program otherwise I would offer help - all I can do is be a Beta tester or whatever if you manage to figure out what could be causing it

All I can offer is perhaps you could post in the Supercard SDK forums a request for help - perhaps some1 there could figure it out. Although it's for the SDK (which I believe allows the developer to use the extra CPU/memory of the DSTwo) one of them may be able to give an idea to the cause

8. basher11

Member basher11 GBAtemp's Official Vocaloid Lover

United States
    bullet hell! [​IMG]

brings back good times from touhou [​IMG]

9. smealum

United States
    If anyone can't try the game, here's a video I just made [​IMG]

10. Mazor

Member Mazor Z80 master arch

Sweden
    This post would have been a primary candidate for this thread, but I guess it is pretty invisible.

Added the video to the homebrew description on filetrip.

11. smealum

United States
    Yeah, sorry about that, hadn't noticed it. [​IMG]

12. Mbmax

Member Mbmax Homebrew addicted

Antarctica
    Nice homebrew game smealum !

I tested it on EZ5i, Ismart Premium, Ismart MM and it's ok.

I wish you best of luck at nintendomax DS dev compo. [​IMG]

/me return to play. [​IMG]

13. smealum

United States
    Thanks. [​IMG]
    I asked a few people to try the game on their dstwo and so far three told me it works while one told me it didn't.
    So if people with a dstwo around here could try this build and let me know what happens, I'd be very grateful : http://smealum.net/arsenal/alpha/gurutest.nds
    If it crashes, then I only need three addresses : the ones labeled pc, address and lr.
    Thanks in advance ! [​IMG]

14. CannonFoddr

United Kingdom
    OK I've tried out the gurutest version through DSGame - same thing red screen

pc = 00000020
    address = 00000020
    lr = 02014EEF

Tried it as 'plugin' - same thing and same addresses

[Don't know if this may help - but IIRC many years ago some homebrew had trouble with SDHC cards but worked on SD cards.... I'm using a 8Gb SDHC Kingston card Class 2 on DSi, but I don't know what the others are using]

When I get home I'll retry it again if I have time but try on a DSLite & smaller sd card (if I can find one) & I'll let you know the results

EDIT: OK this is weird.....
    I did what I said I'd do....
    > I used a fully formatted 2Gb SD card, downloaded all DSTwo files again (EOS,iMove,Ireader etc), downloaded both the above 'guru' AND the original Arsenal file - placing both into the plugin folder, then placed into the DSTwo & tried them out on DSLite..... BOTH RAN
    > I then transferred the DSTwo to the DSi - BOTH RAN !!!
    > I then used ANOTHER 8Gb MSD (this ones a Sandisk) & transferred over the 2Gb contents to the 8Gb.... tried again ... BOTH RAN !!!!
    Thinking I may've had a corrupted DSTwo firmware or something I re-installed the '_DSTwo' folder onto the Kingston 8Gb... tried both .... NONE RAN !!! (Red screen)
    > Backedup the Kingston, [quick] re-formated with panasonic formatter, re-installed the backup & tried again... NONE RAN !!!

I am now current transferring the backup (EXCUDING any DSTwo relted files) onto the Sandisk MSD & I'll let you know how that turns out

EDIT #2: OK I copied over the backup files onto Sandisk 8Gb & tried again..... Arsenal Ran (Didn't bother doing both this time)
    > So I did a FULL FORMAT of the Kingston (remember this one is where neither ran) with the Panasonic formatter, copied over the Sandisk files straight onto the Kingston... tried out Arsenal and....... IT RAN OK !!!!

I can only guess there was something wrong with the Kingston that a 'quick format' from the Panasonic formatter didn't cure
    Still nice to figure it out & @ smealum, guess you don't have to worry about it anymore

15. smealum

United States
    Thanks ! [​IMG]