Around 140,000 more NNID accounts may have been logged into maliciously, says Nintendo

EVMGrbqUYAAz7Ax.jpg

In April of this year, Nintendo responded to the increasingly high amount of suspicious login attempts to Nintendo Network ID accounts affecting users across the world, promising that they would investigate the cause of the malicious logins. An update to the report has been made, as of June 9th, following up on their initial statement on the matter. Previously, Nintendo claimed that around 160,000 accounts were affected, telling NNID users to turn on 2-factor authentication, while also allowing refunds for games bought illegally on compromised accounts. The updated report states that another 140,000 IDs and passwords were accessed, in addition to the original figure of 160,000, bringing the total to around 300,000, which is "less than 1%" of total NNID users.

Nintendo stresses that credit card information saved to profiles was not able to be seen by those hacking into the accounts, though if you did save payment data to your account, it may have been able to be used to purchase items on the Nintendo eShop. You will also no longer able to use your NNID to login to your Nintendo account, with all illegally accessed accounts to have their passwords reset automatically. According to Nintendo's investigation, these passwords were not obtained via any breaches to their own services, meaning the accounts were most likely accessed due to the emails and passwords being shared across other services that had been hacked in the past.

:arrow: Source

MohammedQ8

Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
My USA and Japanese accounts didn’t get effected however my pal account got effected ....... Nintendo told me my account was accessed somewhere so I should change the password and add the two steps security but I didn't hehe because there is nothing there.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Does it mean that they hacked the email linked to that account?

sion_zaphod

Ex-Galactic President; confidence trickster; etc
Trophies
XP
Country
They may have to rescind some bans then. And welcome some switch modders back to the wonders of Nintendo online. Spot the sarcasm.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Good thing I have literally never used my Switch online or have a Nintendo account with a debit or credit card on it.

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Is this only affecting Switch users?
I don't have a Switch, but I have purchased on the eshop on 3ds and Wii U via my NNID.
It's any and all NNID accounts, of which can be used as an alternative to log into a linked Switch account (or used to, today, that's been disabled). So your account could be at risk.

MohammedQ8

Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
I just added 2 steps security to every email I use.

Attachments

• 5C384F9B-DAB5-4D1A-B653-37192593EC82.png
    5C384F9B-DAB5-4D1A-B653-37192593EC82.png
    933.9 KB · Views: 196

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For fuck's sake, why is it that these companies can't make their security worth the money they're asking for!? It makes you wonder if you can trust these companies with your information!

Imagine someone who's at work and this shit happens to them and they can't go on break for another three hours.

And is it just me, or does it seem like these digital breaches have been occurring more often ever since the lockdown started?

Reactions: DarkCoffe64

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
For fuck's sake, why is it that these companies can't make their security worth the money they're asking for!? It makes you wonder if you can trust these companies with your information!

Imagine someone who's at work and this shit happens to them and they can't go on break for another three hours.

And is it just me, or does it seem like these digital breaches have been occurring more often ever since the lockdown started?
to be fair if they are to be believed in how the breach happened with shared leaked passwords nintendo arent really to blame, hopefully this will just raise awareness of the importance of not sharing passwords across multiple sites

Reactions: sup3rgh0st

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
According to Nintendo's investigation, these passwords were not obtained via any breaches to their own services, meaning the accounts were most likely accessed due to the emails and passwords being shared across other services that had been hacked in the past.

Just so people can see that in case they missed it.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
People did access my account, from several countries (probably just a proxy though).

The thing is, the password I had for Nintendo, was only shared with one other service, PSN. Nothing else.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, then why mine can't?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 What is nps you mentioned?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because your pc has a hamster innit
    +3
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    R.I.P. LittleBigPlanet PS3 servers
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    LBP2 still the goat tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That can be played on ps5 iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a candy floating in the water, don't eat it!
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a candy floating in the water, don't eat it!