1. 5,524

Front-page
    EVMGrbqUYAAz7Ax.jpg

In April of this year, Nintendo responded to the increasingly high amount of suspicious login attempts to Nintendo Network ID accounts affecting users across the world, promising that they would investigate the cause of the malicious logins. An update to the report has been made, as of June 9th, following up on their initial statement on the matter. Previously, Nintendo claimed that around 160,000 accounts were affected, telling NNID users to turn on 2-factor authentication, while also allowing refunds for games bought illegally on compromised accounts. The updated report states that another 140,000 IDs and passwords were accessed, in addition to the original figure of 160,000, bringing the total to around 300,000, which is "less than 1%" of total NNID users.

Nintendo stresses that credit card information saved to profiles was not able to be seen by those hacking into the accounts, though if you did save payment data to your account, it may have been able to be used to purchase items on the Nintendo eShop. You will also no longer able to use your NNID to login to your Nintendo account, with all illegally accessed accounts to have their passwords reset automatically. According to Nintendo's investigation, these passwords were not obtained via any breaches to their own services, meaning the accounts were most likely accessed due to the emails and passwords being shared across other services that had been hacked in the past.

:arrow: Source

2. Discussion (40 replies)

3. Mohammed2935

Mohammed2935 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Kuwait
    My USA and Japanese accounts didn’t get effected however my pal account got effected ....... Nintendo told me my account was accessed somewhere so I should change the password and add the two steps security but I didn't hehe because there is nothing there.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Does it mean that they hacked the email linked to that account?

4. SkittleDash

SkittleDash GBANep

Japan
    They may have been hacked but at least they actually tell everyone immediately and not afraid to admit they were breached.

5. sion_zaphod

sion_zaphod Ex-Galactic President; confidence trickster; etc

They may have to rescind some bans then. And welcome some switch modders back to the wonders of Nintendo online. Spot the sarcasm.

6. Mohammed2935

Kuwait
    See

Attached Files:

7. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Netti Netti

Sri Lanka
    I am sadly one of these people, no money was stolen though thankfully.

8. Skeet1983

Skeet1983 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Hi guys. I have my PayPal Account linked to my Nintendo Account. Should I unlink/remove PayPal?

9. Mohammed2935

Kuwait
    Yes if you dont buy very often and you should add two steps security everywhere

10. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

United Kingdom
    Is this only affecting Switch users?
    I don't have a Switch, but I have purchased on the eshop on 3ds and Wii U via my NNID.

11. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Argentina
    Good thing I have literally never used my Switch online or have a Nintendo account with a debit or credit card on it.

12. Mohammed2935

Kuwait
    No my pal account is not linked to any switch nor Nintendo account to be able to link it to switchs.

13. Chary

OP Chary Please read the OP
    Senior Editor

United States
    It's any and all NNID accounts, of which can be used as an alternative to log into a linked Switch account (or used to, today, that's been disabled). So your account could be at risk.

14. Mohammed2935

Kuwait
    I just added 2 steps security to every email I use.

Attached Files:

15. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Lost Wanderer Who Sees No Evil

United States
    For fuck's sake, why is it that these companies can't make their security worth the money they're asking for!? It makes you wonder if you can trust these companies with your information!

Imagine someone who's at work and this shit happens to them and they can't go on break for another three hours.

And is it just me, or does it seem like these digital breaches have been occurring more often ever since the lockdown started?

DarkCoffe64 likes this.
  16. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

nintendo: eh we're shit nowdays

DarkCoffe64 likes this.
  17. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

to be fair if they are to be believed in how the breach happened with shared leaked passwords nintendo arent really to blame, hopefully this will just raise awareness of the importance of not sharing passwords across multiple sites

sup3rgh0st likes this.
  18. Chary

OP Chary Please read the OP
    Senior Editor

United States

Just so people can see that in case they missed it.

medoli900, banjo2 and sup3rgh0st like this.
  19. fvig2001

fvig2001 GBAtemp Fan

Really? My Nintendo account used a unique password generated through a password generator.

20. Skelletonike

Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    People did access my account, from several countries (probably just a proxy though).

The thing is, the password I had for Nintendo, was only shared with one other service, PSN. Nothing else.

21. Goku1992A

Goku1992A GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Just set up 2 step verification and call it a day

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - maliciously, accounts, Nintendo