ARMS is going to be a must own Switch game

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by Saiyan Lusitano, May 27, 2017.

1. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    I admit I was wrong about ARMS being "just" an enhanced version of Wii Sports. It's not. It's actually pretty amazing.

Played the Testpunch sessions with the Pro Controller and it felt like the old days of Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi / Xenoverse which is to say, highly addictive and easy to control. I did try to play with the Joy-Cons like I did back on the Switch Premiere but the Pro Controller for me has become the way to play ARMS.

There's not too many combos per say on ARMS but the ones in it (as of now) are sufficient, once you get used to the character you'll learn different ways to use the same combo and attack the other players with it. Graphically speaking, it looks really nice and detailed without any complains there.

Having said that, I've decided I'll be getting ARMS on launch and here's hoping they'll release DLC characters (crossovers from Sega and Bandai would be sweet!).

ARMS Testpunch has two online (random modes) - Combat and Volleyball. Loved both of 'em but Volleyball a bit more 'cause it was reminiscence of the ol' Tekken 3 volleyball days. :)

Screenshots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Xzi, Sinon, rileysrjay and 4 others like this.
  2. swabbo

swabbo Wot u doin readin dis m8?

Mar 9, 2011
    East Yorkshire/ A Bin
    It's not on my list of to buy games, but i'll take a look :) Thanks for the info!

3. SomecallmeBerto

SomecallmeBerto The Anti-Hero

Dec 17, 2014
    United States
    USA
    Idk man it looks like crap. I will add it to a watch list and if it goes on sell for under 30 I MAY pick it up.

paperycandy likes this.
  4. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    You've not played the Testpunch demo yet? Give it a try when the next session's up.

rileysrjay likes this.
  5. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    nope NOT interested

6. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I am pretty sure these characters are just the final evolution to the Inklings.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  7. Meteor7

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

pip Contributor
    Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    I feel like those two are polar opposites of each other when talking about DBZ games. Which is it? The depth and freedom of Budokai Tenkaichi, or the mind-numbing nothingness of Xenoverse?

8. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    Tenkaichi and Xenoverse are very alike as they share the same behind-the-shoulder, third person view and with easy combos to do but Xenoverse at least didn't have 100+ clones of the same characters and then call them "new" characters. :P

Fun games nontheless.

9. Meteor7

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

pip Contributor
    Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    Oh, I see what you meant now. I was thinking quality of the combat but you were more talking the type of game.

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  10. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    From what I played of it then they have either improved it considerably since the demo, not that I am expecting waggle controls anything to set the world on fire, or it will be a must own by virtue of the library being a tiny bit sparse right now.

11. Xabring

Xabring GBAtemp Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    Mexico
    Somewhere, Earth.
    Now I can't decide between ARMS and Splatoon 2.

12. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Splatoon 2 looked like Splatoon 1 so I guess it will be some kind of general online/competitive affair, and likely will be for some time to come.

I can not see ARMS having anything close to that future. As a party game maybe then cleanser between mario kart or something and something else.

No idea which will be cheaper in a few months if you prefer to play it that way, though I imagine splatoon will hold up for a while.

Personally I would not put down real money for either, maybe a $10 affair, but I don't think I am really the target market.

13. ItsTheWolf

ItsTheWolf Splatoon 2 Addict

Dec 25, 2016
    Vietnam
    Love the game, but my muscle hurts as hell after the first Testpunch session. Can't even punch much in the third session and had to quit early.

Just wish they have a practice mode in the demo so I can get the feel of the fighter before going in for the online matches. (I know warm up is there but it's not enough)

Why not both? I'm getting both :D

My wallet won't be happy though.

14. MontyQ

MontyQ GBAtemp Regular

May 24, 2009
    Canada
    this game should be $15 it is just plain bad and feels really sloppy crazy for full price game

15. DarkIrata

DarkIrata GBAtemp Fan

Jun 12, 2015
    Gambia, The
    It's ok. But nothing you would play for long. Oh and it cost to much!

Last edited by DarkIrata, May 29, 2017
    MontyQ likes this.
  16. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Sadly I've been working all weekend, won't get a chance to play the test. I'm 95% sure I'll be buying this one, though. Seems like a good fighting game to hold me over until Smash.