Hacking Armloader9hax without touching sysnand

Kyle Ziemke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi hopefully this is not a stupid question but i am following Plailect's guide to the T however i feel super uneasy about flashing the 2.1 emunand to my 9.2 sysnand. I have been plaqued with issues and i feel if i do that step it will error and i will have a messed up sysnand so my question is how do i get the files needed to setup al9h without running the one click setup of cloning my 2.1 emunand to my 9.2 sysnand. Thanks so much guys.

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If you want a 100% secure and brick-proof method, you better wait Plailect to implement ctrnand tranfer into his guide, it flashes a 2.1 FW into your sysnand but the thing is you don't need to downgrade manually anymore.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
1 click setup verifies the downgraded emunand and is much safer than the 10.x --> 9.2 downgrade you've likely already done.

There is no way to avoid writing to sysnand. That's where the exploit occurs.
If you want a 100% secure and brick-proof method, you better wait Plailect to implement ctrnand tranfer into his guide, it flashes a 2.1 FW into your sysnand but the thing is you don't need to downgrade manually anymore.
That method is going to be very new when it's released and may not be safer. He's already started the old method so he should probably finish that.

And OP, when you say you have already had problems ... what exactly are they?

Last edited by zoogie,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
You can't. You can just run luma from menuhax with a 9.2 sysNAND and 11.0 emuNAND. You can't get the rewards without taking the risks :-)
Btw if it was possible to do it without downgrading to 2.1, why do you think the guide would tell you to do it?

Kyle Ziemke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1 click setup verifies the downgraded emunand and is much safer than the 10.x --> 9.2 downgrade you've likely already done.

There is no way to avoid writing to sysnand. That's where the exploit occurs.

That method is going to be very new when it's released and may not be safer. He's already started the old method so he should probably finish that.

And OP, when you say you have already had problems ... what exactly are they?

First it started out with my router was not compatiable with any web based exploit took me a month to figure that out. Than figured out that and made it all the way to 2.1 downgrade and that kept failing.

Let me ask if i am forced to do this can i revirginize my 9.2 sysnand back with my backup? or does it need to permanently stay on the sysnand. i have heard of an older revision of Plailects guide that used to keep the emu and sys separate and emu was running al9h

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You can't. You can just run luma from menuhax with a 9.2 sysNAND and 11.0 emuNAND. You can't get the rewards without taking the risks :-)
Btw if it was possible to do it without downgrading to 2.1, why do you think the guide would tell you to do it?
i already am downgraded to 2.1 on my emu nand i am at the one click setup step.

i already downgraded to 2.1 thats not the issue.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
@zoogie don't suppose there's any news on the new method is there? Have been refreshing the guide every few hours :-(
Have done 3 or 4 consoles by the current method in the last few weeks while waiting but it would be so great to do the 10 or so remaining today (it's 11.30am Sunday here).

i already am downgraded to 2.1 on my emu nand i am at the one click setup step.

i already downgraded to 2.1 thats not the issue.
You still have to flash it to sysNAND. I assumed that was what you were talking about avoiding doing.

uribemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the old version of plailect's guide, you still had to downgrade the sysnand to 2.1 and install a9lh to sysnand. It would just boot to emunand with a cfw. You need to flash 2.1 to sysnand so you can get the otp. No other way around it as of this moment

Kyle Ziemke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the old version of plailect's guide, you still had to downgrade the sysnand to 2.1 and install a9lh to sysnand. It would just boot to emunand with a cfw. You need to flash 2.1 to sysnand so you can get the otp. No other way around it as of this moment
if i have to thats not a problem i just dont want it to permanently occupy my sysnand. i want a permanent 9.2 sysnand when everything is done. or does al9h need to be on2.1 sysnand. once the al9h is working cant i transfer it to emunand than use a nand restor to 9.2 virgin?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
if i have to thats not a problem i just dont want it to permanently occupy my sysnand. i want a permanent 9.2 sysnand when everything is done. or does al9h need to be on2.1 sysnand. once the al9h is working cant i transfer it to emunand than use a nand restor to 9.2 virgin?
At the end of the guide you're instructed to restore your original 9.2 NAND backup.

uribemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After getting the otp, you restore your 9.2 sysnand, do other stuff, and update sysnand to 11.0. You will not stay on 2.1.you can read on in the guide and see for yourself

Kyle Ziemke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I made a thread on this question ages ago, and people still ask this question every now and again.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/why-cant-i-dump-my-otp-from-emunand-and-other-good-a9lh-questions.422212/
You didnt listen to what i said. Im not saying i wont flash to sysnand im asking if after everything is setup can i revirginize my sysnand and
move my al9h to the emunand is my question.
At the end of the guide you're instructed to restore your original 9.2 NAND backup.
This si the anwser i was searching for you are my hero <3 seriously thank you. So this guide does have you move the al9h to emunand?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
You didnt listen to what i said. Im not saying i wont flash to sysnand im asking if after everything is setup can i revirginize my sysnand and
move my al9h to the emunand is my question.

This si the anwser i was searching for you are my hero <3 seriously thank you. So this guide does have you move the al9h to emunand?
You should read the entire guide before even beginning it!

Kyle Ziemke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should read the entire guide before even beginning it!
i glanced over it but i did not see where it said to restore 9.2 I am gonna go over it thoroughly and i never read through fully because than i get ahead of myself and end up messing things up. When using instructions i will not move on until a step has been completed but thank you for the smart response lol. Thank you all for your help i really appericate it.

Edit i just read through the guide and it does not say anything about restoring virgin 9.2? can you post a link or quote it please.

Last edited by Kyle Ziemke,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
i glanced over it but i did not see where it said to restore 9.2 I am gonna go over it thoroughly and i never read through fully because than i get ahead of myself and end up messing things up. When using instructions i will not move on until a step has been completed but thank you for the smart response lol. Thank you all for your help i really appericate it.

Edit i just read through the guide and it does not say anything about restoring virgin 9.2? can you post a link or quote it please.
You restore the emuNAND backup to your sysNAND (keeping a9lh) after installing a9lh to the console. The whole idea is 2.1 is temporary just to get your OTP and install a9lh to the sysNAND. Your sysNAND will not be "Virgin" as the entire idea is to install stuff to the firm partitions and allow the exploit. If you restore a non-a9lh backup of sysNAND you will have removed a9lh and wasted your time.

Last edited by Quantumcat,

Kyle Ziemke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After getting the otp, you restore your 9.2 sysnand, do other stuff, and update sysnand to 11.0. You will not stay on 2.1.you can read on in the guide and see for yourself
sorry i read through the guide and i am not seeing where it has me restore my VIRGIN 9.2. As far as i can see it has me use a a9lh 9.2 and that is not what i want i want sysnand to be as if i bought the 3ds from the store. Many pople have reported to be able to do this but i cant find any guides.

You restore the emuNAND backup. The whole idea is 2.1 is temporary just to get your OTP and install a9lh to the sysNAND. Your sysNAND will not be "Virgin" as the entire idea is to install stuff to the firm partitions and allow the exploit. If you restore a non-a9lh backup of sysNAND you will have removed a9lh and wasted your time.
this is more like what im looking for. So al9h is strictly a sys thing it cannot exist on emunand am i understanding you correctly? why wouldn't i be able to clone my sysnand to emunand emunand is exactly the same thing as sys but redirected. I know i would lose out on speed but i am more concerned with safety than speed.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Here's the quote about restoring emuNAND (Part 5)

Section IV - Copying RedNAND data to SysNAND
  1. Open Hourglass9 from arm9loaderhax by holding Start on boot
  2. Go to "SysNAND Backup/Restore..."
  3. Select "SysNAND Restore"
  4. Confirm and restore from emuNAND_original.bin
  5. Your device should now be able to boot properly once more.

sorry i read through the guide and i am not seeing where it has me restore my VIRGIN 9.2. As far as i can see it has me use a a9lh 9.2 and that is not what i want i want sysnand to be as if i bought the 3ds from the store. Many pople have reported to be able to do this but i cant find any guides.

this is more like what im looking for. So al9h is strictly a sys thing it cannot exist on emunand am i understanding you correctly? why wouldn't i be able to clone my sysnand to emunand emunand is exactly the same thing as sys but redirected. I know i would lose out on speed but i am more concerned with safety than speed.
You can boot emuNAND if you like but there is no reason to, it gives you no benefits and many drawbacks, the notable ones being you have to install GBA games to both sysNAND and emuNAND, and if you want to change SD cards, instead of just copying the data to the new card, you have to format an emuNAND partition on the new card, backup emuNAND from the old card, and flash the backup to the new card as well as copying the data over. Even if you use emunand, the exploit is still installed to sysNAND.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Sure, you can use emuNAND with A9LH, boot time will be about the same as sysNAND, there is not much point in it though and it makes installing GBA/DSiWare games a pain.

Garro

Pendulum of souls!
Trophies
Website
garrothedog.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Chile
At the final steps you restore your 9.2 NAND so you can install arm9loaderhax. Once you do that you can restore any NAND you have backup'd and update to the latest version (as long as you use "restore sysnand (keep a9lh)" option.

a9lh is installed on the FIRM as far as I know (not on the Sysnand/ nor Emunand), so it boots a CFW on boot-level. You are free to use Sysnand or Emunand, both works exactly the same (but using Emunand would mean wasting 1GB of SD space, with no benefit compared to Sysnand).

Kyle Ziemke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ohhhh i see it now but i guess im at a loss for what 9.2 it is now? Is it 9.2 with al9h or virgin 9.2 because when i made my emunandoriginal file it was virgin 9.2 clone????

Edit... Thank you all so much but let me rephrase my question to be more specific.

When all is said and done and i finished Plailect's guide. Will sysnand be virgin or will it be al9h.
Second part what happens with a brick. Is their a preloader to be able to fix a brick or run decrypt9 to be able to do a nand restore?
So no matter which i run sys or emu their will be no difference they both will be modified and not stock?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Tandem even
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released