arm9loaderhax from Gateway unable to boot gateway anymore

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Aglae Pheryl, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Aglae Pheryl
    OP

Aglae Pheryl GBAtemp Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    France
    Hi,

I followed the whole process from 3ds.guide to patch my son's New 3ds.
    It seems everything went fine.

I can boot into Godmode when pressing Start at boot or into Luma3ds 6.6 pressing Select.

If I let the console boot normally I can see in system settings that it shows Sys 9.2.0-20E which was the update in use before doing the whole process.

I did follow the steps (hopefully correctly) to move emunand when installing arm9loaderhax but when I go to settings/Other/Profile to launch Gateway as usual to launch the games then all I get is a black screen.

Have I not understood something? Is there a new way to access the games on the Gateway uSD card from now on ?

Thanks.

2. Giodude

Giodude Ruler of Italy

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    Gateway is cheap and unstable. Please for the love of God stop using it.

Searinox likes this.
  3. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    Did you follow this?
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-with-gateway-on-v2-a9lh.431691/

Just be sure to NOT boot in Gateway mode if your sysnand is on 11.3, since A9LH will be uninstalled. I recommend using emunand on 11.2 until there's a GW update.

It's useful and reasonably stable; just a little outdated.

Last edited by evandixon, Mar 29, 2017
    Zidapi, VictorMoreno015 and Arck like this.
  4. Arck

Arck GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 13, 2016
    If I was you I would wait for a GW update that is planned for april

5. Drakia

Drakia GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 15, 2008
    Canada
    How can you say both of those things in the same post with a straight face...?

Quantumcat and Shadowfied like this.
  6. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    It's reasonably stable as long as you use it properly. Just because something's outdated (here meaning no 11.3 compatibility) doesn't mean it's unstable.

Quantumcat likes this.
  7. Drakia

Drakia GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 15, 2008
    Canada
    "Doesn't work on 11.3" is completely different than "Wipes out your a9lh install on 11.3".

One is outdated, the other is unstable and borderline malicious ;)

Shadowfied likes this.
  8. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    Nintendo's the one clearing A9LH. Gateway (which explicitly states using sysnand is unsafe) simply does nothing to stop it, because it's not a problem in emunand (which doesn't work on 11.3 because it's outdated).

9. Aglae Pheryl
    OP

Feb 25, 2014
    France
  10. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    The *.3ds files go on the red card. The A9LH files go on your internal card, and you only have to install those once (unless there's future updates, but let's be honest; we're not going to see one for weeks at least).

11. Aglae Pheryl
    OP

Feb 25, 2014
    France
    I meant without the gateway card

12. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    Without the red card, there's no point in doing this; you might as well just stick with Luma.

13. Aglae Pheryl
    OP

Feb 25, 2014
    France
    OK so for people who do not have a Gateway card and use arm9loaderhax instead, do they just copy the cia game files to the cias folder on the 3ds ? Then do they need to install them using big blue menu ? What about .3ds or .3dz files, where do they go and how do you launch them ? Again thanks for 'wasting' a little time for me. I surely appreciate all the info.

14. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    *.3ds/*.3dz files can only be used with a flashcart. If you don't have one, you'll need to convert them to CIA. Decrypt9 might be able to do it on its own, but it's faster to use this tool IMO.

15. Aglae Pheryl
    OP

Feb 25, 2014
    France
    Just tested Game & Watch Vermin and I'm getting a black screen (I installed the cia from the cias folder using Title Manafer. Any possible reason why it would fail ?

16. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    Why not use FBI, which if you followed the proper a9lh guide (3ds.guide) then you should have installed

17. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Could be a corrupted/bad CIA.
    BigBlueMenu is obsolete, better use FBI which is far superior.
    But yes, that would work.
    Alternatively you can ditch CIA files altogether and just use FreeShop to download + install games directly on the 3DS from Nintendo's servers.

18. Aglae Pheryl
    OP

Feb 25, 2014
    France
    Wow, stop right here & stay in the vehicule... what's this you're talking about... Freeshop? install from Nintendo's servers...? How, when, what ?
    Sorry this is all new to me... The kid's never gonna see his console back i(especially if I can find a way to playold school nds or event emulated stuff from before that era).

19. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    http://freeshop.pw/ - install the CIA from here using the QR code (with FBI) or direct download.
    It's really great.
    You'll need to do some additional steps once it's installed to get it working, since it needs a link added in the settings that contains copyrighted content (title keys), so it's not included by default.

20. Aglae Pheryl
    OP

Feb 25, 2014
    France
    Thanks, I'll give it a try tomorrow. Gotta go help the kid with his homework and it's getting late. I may need further help but I'm off to a good start already. And thanks to all who already helped earlier.

21. dAVID_
    This message by dAVID_ has been removed from public view by Issac, Mar 29, 2017.
    Mar 29, 2017