Arm9loaderhax - Couple of questions

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by nippyn, Feb 28, 2016.

1. nippyn
    OP

nippyn GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2016
    Hi guys

I am considering arm9loaderhax, but had a couple of questions.

I am using region changed JP N3DSXL (changed to EU). Currently running ReiNAND 10.6E with a hardmod installed.

1. What region pack would I use for the downgrade to 2.1? JP or EU? I presume I could just continue to use EU since it is successfully region changed?

2. Could this exploit potentially offer a way to run eShop on region changed hardware? I realise this is probably a long way down the road, but wondered if the access this provided could help with this known issue.

Thanks!

2. Ronhero

Ronhero Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    1. Yes if your current region is EUR then follow the EUR steps

2. Maybe

3. Dennis G

Dennis G GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    Netherlands
    i have a question too, i have a new 3ds xl with arm9hax and a menuhax new 3ds, since i've done the process on my xl could i use the SysNAND 2.1 that i made on my XL and use that on my n3ds just to obtain the otp.bin file and then just restore the 9.2 sysnand that belongs to that 3ds, or will i transfer something alongside the 2.1 that would make some problems?

4. Scarlet

Scarlet It's Basically Christmas

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    If I understand what you're saying correctly, you want to use the firmware 2.1 NAND dump from your N3DS XL on a different system?

If so, DO NOT DO THAT. The NAND dumps are encrypted exclusively for the system they were made on, using them on another system will cause a brick.

5. Dennis G

Jan 4, 2016
    Netherlands
    yap that's what i ment, thanks =)

6. Xinaman

Xinaman GBAtemp Regular

Sep 21, 2015
    Brazil
    I want to get into a9lh train but what is the point so far?
    The only benefit i see right now is faster boot times.
    What can be done with it right now?

7. Dennis G

Jan 4, 2016
    Netherlands
    You can use Sysnand instead of emunand with same functionality which issen't big for me but people who play ds games or so i think is. uhm it's safer because you can always restore sys and emunand since you can launch decrypt9 even before sys or emu get loaded. and you can launch more firmwares at once and future options. and yes 10 seconds instead of 24 seconds boot, but ther is not realy good bootloader atm, i'd wait for CtrBootmanager9 that's what i'll do with my girlfriends n3ds and my 3ds xl enjoys just some fast and saferness

nippyn likes this.
  8. Xinaman

Xinaman GBAtemp Regular

Sep 21, 2015
    Brazil
    But i think its not worth the risc of brick to basicaly reduce 14 sec of boot time.
    But it is still early, im wating for a more user friendly way to complie the a9lh.3dsx, and a priiloader/bootmii like solution.

Last edited by Xinaman, Feb 29, 2016
  9. Dennis G

Jan 4, 2016
    Netherlands
    that's an good option you have ther is no realll big advantage, but it's pretty safe if you do everything yourself, you just have to stick to the guide and if ther are errors make sure you fix them before installing anything on your 3ds, that's what i had to do (had to get 32 bit pycrypto instead of 64 bit for some reason to make it compile) and then all worked for me, even the 2.1 downgrade was pretty safe and easy just have to stay calm and read

10. Manuel9181

Manuel9181 GBAtemp Prosecutor

May 26, 2015
    Italy
    Actually to compile a9lh.3dsx you have just to copy your otp into a folder and run the command "make" using cmd. How that can be even more user friendly?

https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-compile-and-install-arm9loaderhax.415776/

Last edited by Manuel9181, Feb 29, 2016
    Jixun.Moe likes this.
  11. williamdabastrd

williamdabastrd GBAtemp Regular

Apr 10, 2010
    United States
    Ohio
    The ability to play GBA and DSi games on emuNAND.

12. DarkKaine

DarkKaine GBAtemp Regular

Dec 1, 2014
    Netherlands
    Ever heard of BootMii? It's the same, but for 3DS.
    Using a combination of AuReiNand and a9lh, updates of FIRM0/FIRM1 will be prevented, meaning even if you somehow bricked your sysNAND you can always use a9lh to boot into other software (such as Decrypt9) to restore a backup.
    So in a nutshell, it provides brick protection without a hardmod. It's well worth it imo.
    Another advantage is because you're using sysNAND, GBA games will work just fine.

13. Xinaman

Xinaman GBAtemp Regular

Sep 21, 2015
    Brazil
    but what about updates, i'll be able to update sysnand without worry? And if not, if i update it, it will be recoverable? And Gateway?

Last edited by Xinaman, Feb 29, 2016
  14. DarkKaine

DarkKaine GBAtemp Regular

Dec 1, 2014
    Netherlands
    Because it blocks writes to FIRM0/FIRM1 you can update 'safely'. If you were to somehow brick sysNAND, arm9loaderhax will never be overwritten because of this, so you can always recover.
    I assume gateway will release a binary that can be used with al9h soon as well.

15. Cydget

Cydget GBAtemp Fan

Oct 1, 2015
    United States
    I have a question. What is the best and most reliable tutorial on how to preform A9LH for USA N3ds 9.2

16. Manuel9181

May 26, 2015
    Italy
  17. Cydget

Cydget GBAtemp Fan

Oct 1, 2015
    United States
  18. Manuel9181

May 26, 2015
    Italy
    Just follow carefully all the steps and everything will be fine.

19. ootnes2

ootnes2 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2015
    United States
    Did you region change your sysnand or your emunand? If just emunand, it may be more reliable to use a different sd card than your main card and remake a JP emunand on that, then after you install the arm9loaderhax you can go back to using your regular sd card.

If you already went through the process and restored the EU emunand to your sysnand please let us know if it booted.

20. nippyn
    OP

nippyn GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2016
    Not Attempted it yet, did some of the early stuff tonight for the downgrade. May do the rest tomorrow if I get chance. I have the EU pack downloaded, so I will give that a try

Edit: It was just emuNAND I region changed

Last edited by nippyn, Feb 29, 2016