Arm11 Crash from Cartridge?

elijah_kujo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So, I will be honest, a few years back I tried randomizing my PHYSICAL copy of Alpha Sapphire, it never worked and gave me an Arm11 crash, but I never managed to get it off?
I do NOT remember how I randomized it at all, but the place where I put my usual randomizer things, luma/titles/ and whatever game id alpha sapphire has is EMPTY

Am I doomed and should I just, throw this card out, or is there a way to fix it up?

I'm also apparently not allowed to add an image yet I'm sorry, I'll be happy to tell you what the error says if needed

livid_hen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try having the latest stock luma (Just replace the boot.firm on the sdcard) and then hold select on boot and make sure everything is turned off except "Show NAND or user string in System Settings". If it works after that you can one by one enable what you had on before, checking every time to see what makes it crash. Also try deleting alpha saphire's title id folder in luma/titles (Even if it's empty)

The cartridge it's self should be fine, since you can't write to anything important. If it doesn't work after doing the above try deleting the save file using jksm.

elijah_kujo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
:/ I did all of those, changed my Luma, turned all things off, deleted the ID folder and the save file (and any extra data) and it's still not working? I'm honestly confused

If it helps it crashes before the "Nintendo 3ds" splash even fully plays- oh and it keeps asking me if I want to update it, I might've deleted the update data

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There is no (intended) way to manipulate the ROM contents of a 3DS cart – although it is some sort of NAND and not real ROM like on older systems. All patching Luma3DS does is done without even attempting to modify the cart.

Try in another console. Could be a bad cartridge.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/have-you-guys-heard-about-3ds-carts-dying.588840/

Also: Dump the game with GodMode9 and try installing+playing the CIA.

[…]
The cartridge it's self should be fine, since you can't write to anything important. If it doesn't work after doing the above try deleting the save file using jksm.
Might be an option as well. But save file deletion preferably after backing up the save. Dumping the game to CIA will not take the save file with it, so trying the CIA version will show if the game is damaged or just the save. Normally save file corruption is detected (and the games delete the saves automatically).

elijah_kujo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Deleting the save had already been done since I have no attachment to it
Can't use another console as I have only one functional 3ds right now, my other one has had a broken ribbon for two years now and I've never found anyone that could fix it

I DID dump it tho and the cia does the exact same thing, 3ds splash plays but cuts off and then arm11 exception

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Deleting the save had already been done since I have no attachment to it
Can't use another console as I have only one functional 3ds right now, my other one has had a broken ribbon for two years now and I've never found anyone that could fix it

I DID dump it tho and the cia does the exact same thing, 3ds splash plays but cuts off and then arm11 exception
Next steps:
a) Borrow a 2|3DS for testing your cart​
– and/or –​
b) Borrow another Pokemon α Sapphire for testing in your console​
– and/or –​
c) Consider obtaining a CIA file from somewhere and try if this works. Note that downloading ROMs is still illegal if you have a license for a game. I wouldn't have a bad feeling though. For obvious reasons (GBAtemp rules) we can't assist you in finding illegal sources.​
========

Good luck and have fun!

Reactions: elijah_kujo

elijah_kujo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Are there any safe ways to check if Luma really IS installed in NAND? a friend installed it for me so I have no clue if they did so or not

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Are there any safe ways to check if Luma really IS installed in NAND? a friend installed it for me so I have no clue if they did so or not
Just try to boot without the SD card, if it doesn't boot you don't have Luma on NAND. (Doing so has no risk of anything, the console will detect it doesn't have Luma installed and will power off on its own.)

elijah_kujo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
sd card out of the console, press power and it's the first thing on screen
IMG_5636.jpg

elijah_kujo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Went thru it, console boots without sd in, but the game still crashes at the exact same spot
Thank you for the help anyways! I'll just look into speeding up either a fix of my broken 3ds or a new copy to test

elijah_kujo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Alright! tysm then! I'll look into a new copy
(Later edit: especially since a new cia works perfectly, I guess I'll see on the new copy front)

Last edited by elijah_kujo,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool