Gaming ARGH! What did my sister do now...

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
Ok guys, the discussion isn't about whether Linux is better then Windows or visa versa.

Also, all OSes mess up at one point in time. Even Macs. Clearly, if the OP's sister can't figure out how to get rid of a virus, then she won't do very well with Linux. So please, if the discussion could return to the original topic at hand, that would be great.

Anyway, I think Avast is causing the internet to stop working (usually blocked ports). Either it's an automatic thing, or she's clicked on an avast message and it's disabled the internet.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The Teej said:
Clearly, if the OP's sister can't figure out how to get rid of a virus, then she won't do very well with Linux

actually, it is nearly impossible for someone to break a *nix box without the root password.... which is how computers were designed to run, with idiots that don't know what their doing unable to break things

fermio100

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
goto START -> Run
Type CMD
in DOS ipconfig
tipe ping [gateway ip]

If the gateway reply ping to an external IP

If it replyes you have to set your dns in you network adapter
If it doesn't you hava an authentication issue. In this case no computer will navigate. Call your ISP.

TRY TO DEACTIVATE AVAST. Sometimes it's not configured correctly and it will prevent you from navigating.

Uiaad

GBAtemp's resident guinea pig
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
epicelite said:
I would of had it worked if she didn't throw the windows CD away...

Not to try and over simplify here but, are you sure the laptop came with a windows disc and doesn't instead come with a hidden partition containing a ghost image of the hard drive pre-user use.

I know a lot of companies tend to use this approch so users can't lose their windows discs.

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
UltraMagnus said:
The Teej said:
Clearly, if the OP's sister can't figure out how to get rid of a virus, then she won't do very well with Linux

actually, it is nearly impossible for someone to break a *nix box without the root password.... which is how computers were designed to run, with idiots that don't know what their doing unable to break things

That's not the point - Linux is harder to use then Windows for the common user. Most people, especially people like epic's sister, don't really like change, so a change to linux would be too much.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The Teej said:
UltraMagnus said:
The Teej said:

That's not the point - Linux is harder to use then Windows for the common user. Most people, especially people like epic's sister, don't really like change, so a change to linux would be too much.

tsk, tsk, tsk...

enlighten me, how is it "harder" to use?

Prime

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
UltraMagnus said:
The Teej said:
UltraMagnus said:
The Teej said:

tsk, tsk, tsk...

Drop the discussion about windows vs Linux.

QUOTE(The Teej @ Jan 19 2009, 12:15 PM)
Ok guys, the discussion isn't about whether Linux is better then Windows or visa versa.

sgand

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Download the Vista disc via torrent and use her key that's on the bottom of the laptop. Don't go buying something you already have. $100 for the key.

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
UltraMagnus said:
epicelite said:
Linux is only free if your time is worthless...

seems the op has already spent an ample amount of time trying to get windows to work!

linux saves time, it just works, and doesn't break

Weird. My vista was perfect until I resized a partition in Linux... It seems Linux breaks windows...

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
juggernaut911 said:
UltraMagnus said:
epicelite said:
Linux is only free if your time is worthless...

seems the op has already spent an ample amount of time trying to get windows to work!

linux saves time, it just works, and doesn't break

Weird. My vista was perfect until I resized a partition in Linux... It seems Linux breaks windows...
blame microsoft for not supplying any documentation on their NTFS format.

and FYI, when I installed windows after linux it overwrote my boot loader, so it works both ways
smile.gif
windows breaks linux

notnarb

Not narbing it up
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
UltraMagnus said:
The Teej said:
UltraMagnus said:
The Teej said:

tsk, tsk, tsk...

The "common" user has experience on Windows computers. Yes, I agree, a polished linux distro such as Ubuntu is better for someone who has zero experience with computers, however the topic at hand is dealing with someone with some experience with Windows computers.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh man, some of you don't quit do you? This thread's about diagnosing network problems, not waving your geek penis around in public. For the love of Zeus put it away. There's some really good helpful answers in this thread, doesn't do any good to bury it in this mindless drivel. There's a New Topic button up there, use it.

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's more advise for original poster!!

Since you are in Vista, try resetting Winsock using the command prompt.

To repair and reset the Windows Vista

1. Click on Start button.
2. Type cmd in the Start Search text box.
3. Press Ctrl-Shift-Enter keyboard shortcut to run Command Prompt as Administrator. Allow elevation request.
4. Type netsh winsock reset in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the Enter key.
5. Restart the computer.

Let us know what happens!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...