Are you still using any hardware that came out more than a decade ago? What for?

aquova

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently replaced my home server, so I'm not anymore, but up until a few months ago I was using a 2010 Mac Mini with Ubuntu as my home server. It held up pretty well, although I did get more RAM for it at one point. It was even able to run a small Minecraft server, although at completely 100% CPU utilization.

Reactions: AncientBoi

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Newest thing I own is a Samsung S22U.
Next newest thing is a launchday Xbox one :')
You're still using a Core 2 Duo laptop from over a decade ago, shouldn't you be upgrading by now?

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Our desktop pc is probably 6 years old now (?). Windows 10, i5-7400, 16GB, GTX 1060. Should be replaced soon, but it still works for what we need it to do. The 2+1 Altec-Lansing speakers connected to it, though ... I bought those in 2001.

OM3GAZX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Oh boy... Where do I start? I own a Sega Genesis with all the upgrades (CD & 32X), a broken Sega Saturn, a PlayStation 1, a PlayStation 2, a 3DO Interactive Multiplayer (yes, and I like it despite the PlayStation having much better games), an old computer that I occasionally use to repair old video cards, lots of CRTs, another old computer that serves as a replacement in case the other one doesn't work, tons of old video cards, an NES, an N64, a Nintendo DSi, an N3DSXL...

I know this isn't a thread about showing off your retro gaming collection, but these things are about to have ~10 years old or are already old enough to be considered "retro", so I guess it counts.

Oh, one of the old computers has a heavily underpowered Intel Core 2 Duo ~2.5GHz. Nice.

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Oh boy... Where do I start? I own a Sega Genesis with all the upgrades (CD & 32X), a broken Sega Saturn, a PlayStation 1, a PlayStation 2, a 3DO Interactive Multiplayer (yes, and I like it despite the PlayStation having much better games), an old computer that I occasionally use to repair old video cards, lots of CRTs, another old computer that serves as a replacement in case the other one doesn't work, tons of old video cards, an NES, an N64, a Nintendo DSi, an N3DSXL...

I know this isn't a thread about showing off your retro gaming collection, but these things are about to have ~10 years old or are already old enough to be considered "retro", so I guess it counts.

Oh, one of the old computers has a heavily underpowered Intel Core 2 Duo ~2.5GHz. Nice.
Fucking hell hahaha, an Aladdins cave of classic tech. Noice

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
lots of stuff, i'm pretty retro

daily use:
my compaq keyboard from when i interned there (15 years ago). it has a nice weight!
the phone in front of me is a grandstream budge tone 100, an wired ip phone of the early kind, but it still works
my gigaset phone is also pretty old
the speakers are a 5.1 set i got from aldi, also at least over 15 years old
a hp touchpad as a home automation mqtt interface

rarely used:
snes, xbox classic, wii, ps3, gameboy dmg, gba, gba sp, gb micro, nds, psx, dreamcast (+ maybe 20 year old crt)
a web tv with win98 for use of a parallel flash2advance linker

unused, i should remove it from my living room
my analog amplifier + 4 speakers (ca 25 years old)

if my xp machine wouldn't have died 5 years ago, i would still use it as my main pc(i fantasize). probably mobo or ram fault. dunno

also i got too much unused old stuff in the basement:
a bag of ram chips, probably all simm
1 or 2 old pcs, probably both with win98. one was my sisters old pc with a celeron 550
lots of isa stuff (scsi card, joystick/midi card, multiple graphic cards, at least one or 2 sound blaster isa cards)

ciaomao

Well-Known Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
i am about to IDE mod my DC. A „new“ blank bios chip is in the mail and today I raced some daytona with a mad catz wheel, to verify the system is still working after at least a decade in a box.

ciaomao

Well-Known Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Use my Commodore 64 (made in 92) along with my Trinitron (made in 93) on a very regular basis. Also get he Vic 20 out every now and then (made in 82).
try

D9C597EB-198D-4FB2-96E4-2CAC746EAC6B.png

:)

Undrtakr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A LOT of stuff, old consoles, Sega Gen, NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii u , Game Gear, Gameboy DMG (light, colour and pocket). 3ds, ds. Turbografx 16. My computer is now 10 years old and still going strong. Built that 10 years ago. Oh I also have a vcr and crt tv. lol

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Use my Commodore 64 (made in 92) along with my Trinitron (made in 93) on a very regular basis. Also get he Vic 20 out every now and then (made in 82).
nice
i recently bought an composite video adapter and a new power supply for "my" old c64, belongs to my sister now.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
[…]
also i got too much unused old stuff in the basement:
a bag of ram chips, probably all simm
1 or 2 old pcs, probably both with win98. one was my sisters old pc with a celeron 550
lots of isa stuff (scsi card, joystick/midi card, multiple graphic cards, at least one or 2 sound blaster isa cards)
That's what I meant with: Can't list everything, like every single ISA card and old cable.
Sadly all of the IBM-XT and IBM-AT have a defective HDD. Almost impossible to find MFM hard disks in working condition.
One of those machines must have cost a fortune in the 1980s:
  • 80268 processor, VGA(!) graphics, two(!) ISA-cards with RAM expansion (EMS)
  • HD Floppy drive 3.5", HD floppy drive 5¼"
    • The BIOS is even unable to deal with 1.44MB floppy disks and a small TSR program has to be loaded to work around the limitation.
  • One HDD with 40MB another HDD with 20MB.
Maybe I'll try to get a HDD emulator at some point and revive this beautiful machine. HDD emulator is not the same, but alas, better than nothing.
========

I love going back to the past. One of my oldest machines still working is based on 80386 processor. Trying to turn it on requires a targeted punch on the power supply (another thing that fails on many of the old computers). It is not the same as with the IBMs. Already pretty "modern", using IDE for HDDs (I guess the BIOS is already able to auto-detect)
5-jpg.334983

4-jpg.334982
And yes, this fits into the thread. I don't use that stuff often, but occasionally there is a reason to do so (or just verifying function). Such old machines are also a possibility to dump 5¼" floppy disks and send them to a newer PC using INTERLNK and INTERSVR.

It hits me hard that PCs running Windows 98SE (or even XP) must be considered "old", "retro" or "vintage" nowadays.

Reactions: mrgone

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Quite a few things I use are that old or older.

The boring answer is the old game consoles and stuff. I have a pretty large collection as far as that goes.

• PSP
  • DS Lite
  • GBA SP
  • NES
  • N64
  • GameCube
  • Wii
  • Game Boy Color
  • Game Boy Player
  • PlayStation
  • PlayStation 2

etc.,
The Blu-Ray drive in my PC (HL-DT-ST DVDRWBD CH20N) is over ten years old now, but I only got it a couple years ago.

The GPS I use (Garmin nüvi 55LM) isn't quite ten years old yet, but will be next year. Also something I only recently acquired.

In my server PC I have many older components, including an AMD FX 8320 (just meets the ten year req.) and a pair of even older DVD-ROM drives.

-------

I'm definitely a function over form person, so if something does the job, it sticks around. I don't care if I'm not on the cutting edge with a lot of things. That's fine with me. No sense in replacing something just because it's old. I find a lot of good deals on things people are trying to get rid of for that very reason, though, so maybe I should keep that advice and lifestyle to myself ;)

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
I think its got to the point where their is little benefit upgrading your tech / hardware every few years, historically the advances we're really noticeable, however certainly in the last decade not so much, even with mobile devices now.

Laptop - My Laptop is almost 11 years old, a 13" Macbook Air Mid 2012. It still works perfectly fine for what it needs to do, web browsing and SSH / RDP connections elsewhere. It can't run modern versions of OSX or Windows, however Linux works perfectly so I feel no need to upgrade to anything newer at the moment. Now I'm no longer a student its not often I take a laptop out and about with me.

TV - My TV is over 10 years old, however the 1080p picture quality is really good. As I've no Xbox Series X yet or 4K media it feels pointless to upgrade for the sake of it.

PC Components - The speakers, Blu-Ray drive, mouse and keyboard and monitor I use for my PC are approx. 10 years old. However the rest of the PC is pretty new (Ryzen 5 3600 with a GeForce 3600 Ti for context) - that was a recent upgrade in 2021, before that my PC was approx. 10 years old (i5 2500k with a ATI Radeon 6800 from 2010!)

Home Server - The home server is 10 years old now (i7 3770T, 16gb DDR3, 8x 4TB hard drives for 32TB raw storage) Again like the laptop this does what it needs to do, other than replacing the CPU fan and the odd hard drive it's ran perfectly.

I have been thinking of upgrading this at some point however, as its now pretty low on space and I can't easily add anymore drives. I could consolidate all those hard drives in to a few larger ones with more power efficient hardware. Newer Intel processors would transcode media a lot better and I could also also go beyond Gigabit networking. It would also be a good opportunity to consolidate Virtual Machines in to Docker containers. My inner geek wants to spend the money on this, my sensible side doesn't haha.

Games Consoles - Pretty much like many others here I still have my old consoles, quite a few of them I still use also. GBA, GameCube, NDS, Wii, Xbox, Xbox 360 and PSP to name the ones over 10 years old.

I probably have other stuff, however the above is probably of most interest to people here.

SaberLilly

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here just a few things i use for one reason or another
HP 1702 LCD monitor
Nokia N800 "Internet PDA"
OG Xbox
Gameboy Light

I'm sure i have more but i can't remember, or its just not that interesting.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Que dices?