Gaming Are you satisfied yet with your Wii?

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is a discussion that is likely to get some skewed responses on this site, since many folks are using modchips (and it's my belief that actually paying for a game affects your appreciation of it). But well, this is my main gaming home on the Web, so....

I bought my system one year after launch -- I didn't see the sense in buying one outright, since launch games usually aren't that great in general -- but even a year later, I wasn't greatly impressed with Wii. Sure, Metroid is great, and Mario Galaxy is great, but there just wasn't a great sense of excitement overall for what true gamers could expect on the system. Now, we're a few years in, Wii MotionPlus is about to launch, and there are some seriously impressive games coming along with it. We also got some first-party announcements this past week that were pretty damn awesome (Galaxy 2, NSMB Wii and Other M). Red Steel 2 is shaping up to be everything Ubi promised it would be, and the new Tiger Woods Wii is getting mad accolades already from the gaming media.

If you were a disgruntled Wii owner before (I fall into this category), are you beginning to feel like you're now getting your money's worth from the system?

(Me? I'm personally getting a whole lot more excited about the next couple/few years of the Wii's future, though I'm still sore that Nintendo will be charging us extra (MotionPlus) for what we should have gotten from the start.)

gblock247

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol at your sub-topic line....

On topic, I had a Wii a couple years ago, got bored very fast, got rid of it.

Got a Wii again a few months back, right at the time when 4.0 was coming out. With emulation, the ability to get free VC and WiiWare games and the current and upcoming catalog, yes I am satisfied with owning a Wii. I haven't gone the backup playing route yet because I'm actually trying to buy all the Wii console games that I wanna own (gonna be kinda hard though, I want the Taiko Drum Master game w/ drum from Japan, but it runs $99.99 plus shipping). I have 13 legitimate Wii games (not to mention all the VC ans WW content I could want).

I can't WAIT til I can play the new Tiger Woods 10 this week and NSMB Wii later this year? Hellz Yeah. Tons of other great games to come as well. I think I'll end up spending more money on actual games this year (in terms of the software) than I have in the past several years.

Yeah I'll be hanging onto my Wii for a few more years....

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Great topic irpacynot
smile.gif

I bought my Wii in September 08. After 1 week I got my D2Pro and installed it right away.
After a month the only games I had were Metroid Prime 3 and Wii Sports.
Metroid Prime 3 was fun for a week or so, but then I just got tired of it. Some weeks later I just never played my Wii anymore, nothing caught my interest.
At December I was seriously of thinking my Wii, I played my DS way more, I just felt my Wii purchase was a big fault.
But then in March 2009, I got the one game that changed my mind on Wii forever.
I'm a big soccer fan, and I heard a lot of positive things about Pro Evolution Soccer 2009.
But when I first played it, it was just amazing. The precision, the speed, the completeness of the game, the addictiveness.
Just plain amazing, this 1 game has convinced me that the Wii isn't a bad console at all, that gameplay always wins over graphics, that there really is no better football game on earth then PES 2009 for the Wii.....

It's amazing, that one game satisfied my WIi purchase.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Pretty satisfied, though I cannot get Twilight Hack to work so that's a bummer.

I bought my system at launch, and recently bought a component cable from monoprice, hopefully it's not defective and I will see some quality improvement.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Got my Wii sometime late last year, with it I got Brawl, Mario Galaxy, Wii Sports, Wii Play, Mario Party 8 and maybe something else, I can't remember. Due to the fact I had limited access to it (plugged into the big TV downstairs which is usually in use for half the day) it took me a while to beat Mario Galaxy, after which I picked up Metroid Prime 3 and played through and beat that.Bought Twilight Princess before the bannerbomb announcement, but never got around to using the Twilight Hack, currently haven't beaten it yet. Then recently I bannerbombed it and got it running backups, and now having access to a nice amount of games that I can run via the USB loader, and Gamecube games (Never had a gamecube) that I can burn to a multiboot DVD.

Before softmodding, satisified with the few games I had played on the Wii. After modding, more so.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If I'm honest, with Twilight Princess, Corruption and Mario Galaxy (plus a few other good titles on the way), I feel like I'm satisfied with the first-party stuff, and until an amazing title comes out or a first-party effort, I'll go back to my PC and play other games.
As it is, I think I've given up on Wii being my dedicated console. It'll get some great games, but it's just not good enough to support a 'gamer's diet' by itself - mainly to do with how long it takes for a first-party effort to come out.

olliepop2000

Trophies
XP
Country
DeMoN said:
Pretty satisfied, though I cannot get Twilight Hack to work so that's a bummer.

I bought my system at launch, and recently bought a component cable from monoprice, hopefully it's not defective and I will see some quality improvement.
For your rep and post count you do surprise me! Twilight Hack is dead and buried now. You not heard of Bannerbomb or soon to be released SSBB hack?

bytor

Trophies
XP
Country
I bought a Wii on launch day and have been very pleased with it. Pro Evolution Soccer on the Wii is worth buying the console for alone, and the third party support has been good imo. Tiger Woods in particular has been great (although I wasn't too impressed with the putting in 09 myself) and there are several exclusives that make the console shine including Wii Sports (I still play it every now and then!), Metroid Prime 3, Zelda, Super Mario Galaxy, Punch Out!, Madworld, House of The Dead Overkill, Deadly Creatures, both Trauma Centers, No More Heroes, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario & Sonic At The Olympics, de Blob and Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles spring to mind.

There are also several games that aren't exclusives but imo are a better experience on the Wii such as Godfather, Tiger Woods, Pro Evo, Resident Evil 4, Shaun White Snowboarding and Guitar Hero (rumble and sound effects from the guitar ftw!).

And with several quality games coming up such as SMG 2, NSMB, Wii Sports Resort, the Metroid Trilogy, a new Metroid and a new Zelda from Nintendo themselves and a shedload of quality third party titles on the way including The Conduit, Muramasa The Demon Blade, Dead Space Extraction, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles, Resident Evil Archives, Tiger Woods 2010, Grand Slam Tennis, Virtua Tennis, Red Steel 2, Gladiator AD and The Grinder, I'd say the future is looking pretty rosy for the Wii.
smile.gif

Goshogun1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am honestly satisfied with my Wii. Games like Zelda, Mario Galaxy, Punch Out, Final Fantasy Chocobo Tales, Fire Emblem, Mario Kart, Smash Brothers, and many others make me happy to own a Wii. Its funny because I seem to play my Wii more often than PS3 or 360 combined. It seems like I appreciate the exclusive games the Wii has over exclusives for other systems. I guess its that "Nintendo Quality" getting to me.
biggrin.gif

Aside from that its my favorite source of homebrew emulators, and plays my large library of GC games. A really nice system, and with Motion+ on the way I see a bright future ahead. That is assuming people really take advantage of it.

bytor

Trophies
XP
Country
Completely forgot about the Homebrew Channel, one of the main plus-points of the console imo. Quake controlled with the remote and nunchuck can't be beaten, at least until somebody releases a port of Duke Nukem 3D

*Keeps fingers crossed*

smile.gif

El-ahrairah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing I'm satisfied with about my Wii is how hacked its become. I spend more time tinkering with it than actually playing games. I have about 18 games (pirated and not) and I think I've only played 6 or 7.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I haven't even dabbled with the homebrew scene on Wii, though I'd like to. I guess the thing I've been most afraid of is bricking it. I definitely won't be modding it until the lifecycle is well toward its end, but I would like to tinker with homebrew should it become more user friendly for noobs like me.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
irpacynot said:
Yeah, I haven't even dabbled with the homebrew scene on Wii, though I'd like to. I guess the thing I've been most afraid of is bricking it. I definitely won't be modding it until the lifecycle is well toward its end, but I would like to tinker with homebrew should it become more user friendly for noobs like me.

If you want to be perfectly brick safe, install Bootmii and take a NAND backup.
Then you're always safe!

personager

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii's just dissapointing for me. I'd prefer the other consoles over it anytime, in terms of games. I still have it though, and that's probably because of the "homebrew"

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I am very satisfied cause the console does what all the advertisement says:

FUN FOR ALL THE FAMILY

at it's really fun when all the family gather to play some WiiSports, Let's TAP, etc etc etc.....and I actually just bought the Wii to play Zelda TP, I never expected heavy gamer titles watching all the promotion with girls around 5 years old with their grand-father, and believe it or not I still play WiiSports alone (obstacle bowling: 17 lines is my record), I am planing in the future buying a PS3 but just to use it as a BR player, and maybe when my gamming skills can play some serious heavy games I'll start to buy PS3 titles...!!
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.