Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
As simple as the title says.

Are you in favor or against piracy?
If so... Why?

I'm just curious to know different views and perspectives in this site, since it seems to be hot shit right now. :P

With that said, well, here goes my reason:

I am Pro Piracy, although not "full" pro piracy.
Here are my main two reasons why I am in favor of piracy to a certain degree:

1. Hacking:
    You see, one of my greatest hobbies in videogames is Videogame Hacking.And no, I'm not talking about cheap ass AR codes or stuff like that.

I am talking about modifying character models, textures, gameplay mechanics, uncensoring, etc.
    The hacking community for ROMs is one great example.

Did you always thought that having the Pokemon selection limited in a certain Coloured Edition to a certain amount just because you don't have the other version? Well there are Emu Edition Hacks out there that male all the Pokemon in the Pokedex catchable in the same game!

Did you always wanted to try out a game that you were waiting for a long time to come to the US but it only got released in Japan? There are fan-hacked translations available online!
    The Mother franchise, Fatal Frame IV, etc. You name it.
  2. Rare Games (No longer available)
    This one is quite important.

Let's say that you always wanted to try out Nintendo Championships for the NES.
    Whooops... Is one of the most expensive, overpriced games out there in the internet.
    Are you willing to pay over 10'000 dlls just to take a peek at it?
    Unless you're Bill Gates and can throw money like leftovers, then perhaps you do, otherwise you're out of luck.
    What about Atari 2600 games?
    Arcade games? Limited edition ROMs/Games no longer available? Heck even region exclusive games.
    You will have a hard time getting there for sure.

In this case, I go pro piracy. It is just insane to think about wasting so much money and effort for just one game.

Reproduction carts are one way to go, but some still consider that piracy... (?)
Well, there you go.
That is my personal opinion.

Now tell us what do you think!

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
What does this have to do with anything and you keep saying "tell us", who's "us"?

My stance is that I don't care. If I feel like pirating a game, I'll do it. That could be for whatever reason (game no longer available or never released in my region or just to try before buying). As far as hacking, it doesn't have to involve pirating. You can often hack a game you own without pirating it. You'd be breaking other parts of a license agreement with the software vendor as opposed to pirating, but I don't view that as necessarily bad.

Reactions: Arecaidian Fox

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My personal stance is basically that I will not pirate a game unless I truly can't find it in any other way (at a "reasonable" price)

So, for instance, like you said, with old games no longer in production, but also games that are impossible to find like "Xenoblade Chronicles" for the Wii.

This, however, is just my opinion, and I will certainly not be the one to tell others how to live their lives

PS we should link to each other's threads, for kicks XD

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
If I had dollar for every piracy thread on this forum I'd be rich. If I had dollar for every piracy gone to shit on this forum, I'd be even richer. Maybe then I could afford to buy games instead of pirating them.
You're from the fucking future, why do you care about pirating? I thought they already required fingerprint-level authentication in games in 2020, huh.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I pirate old ROMs and ISO images of games no one but secondhand retailers sell because, let's be honest, I really really don't give a damn about those who sell games for hyper-inflated prices on eBay, Amazon or Craigslist :creep: That, and I'm in a situation where I can't afford them, but I would if I could. For PC games, I just crack the DRM/anti-piracy measures so I don't have to have it always online, especially with Uplay or some other piece of shit anti-piracy measure. Why should I have to suffer with games I own by means of invasive AP measures? No wonder people download PC games :rofl2: In summary, I really don't care what people do.

Reactions: Margen67

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I hate piracy because it ruined games for me.
Back when I was a stupid kid, I thought piracy was cool and all, as the years went by, I stopped having fun with games. The DS era was great for games, but because it was so easy to pirate on it, I just did that. The amount of games I bought was minuscule compared to the games I pirated. Basically, having all those free games made me lose interest in playing them.

Once the 3DS came out I swore to myself I'd never pirate a game again. Not just games however, I also buy anime dvd's/blurays and mangas that I enjoy and read online (while I can't really buy the ones that haven't been officially localised, I buy the ones that are available in English. I'm currently trying to get all the One Piece manga volumes for example, I'm still missing a few though).

It's not like games are that expensive (this from an european's point of view, whose games are nearly double the price of their american counterparts) if you know how to manage money. I don't have an actual job and all the money I earn is from doing odd jobs here and there, yet I'm still able to save enough to buy a game or two per month (usually just once since I mostly buy my games on pre-order), saving 1.50€ a day for a month would be enough for a game.

Anyway... I wonder why this topic is under the Wii U section and not the general discussion one? It'd make more sense over there.

Reactions: filfat and SLiV3R

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I hate piracy because it ruined games for me.
Back when I was a stupid kid, I thought piracy was cool and all, as the years went by, I stopped having fun with games. The DS era was great for games, but because it was so easy to pirate on it, I just did that. The amount of games I bought was minuscule compared to the games I pirated. Basically, having all those free games made me lose interest in playing them.
I get that you were a stupid kid, but really? It's like candy or chocolate. If you have unlimited access to candy and chocolate, you'll love it for the first 15 minutes and end up vomiting the excess sugars 45 minutes later, after which you never want to touch or see candy or chocolate ever again. Simple enough how the human mind works. ;)

Reactions: porkiewpyne

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I am pro piracy. I pirate music, movies, books and games are no exception. I guess I would be ok with no piracy if prices were more affordable and every game had at least a demo, I actually rather like Steam and actually prefer buying PC games from it than going through the hassle of cracking. But buying all the games I want would be damn expensive, so piracy is good in this regard.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I'm progainst it.

I mean, I do download some stuff myself (I buy a lot too), but I don't think it's a good thing. I hate all that "Information want's to be free, and software is just code and code is information" bullshit. I don't think it's fair to download. I don't think it's a right to download.
I don't think it should be legal to download. I also hate "musicians can make money on other things besides their music. I want the music for free... they can sell t-shirts or play conserts". That's just fucking bullshit. Yet I do download some music myself, but I don't think it's my right to do so.

Reactions: porkiewpyne

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What does this have to do with anything and you keep saying "tell us", who's "us"?

My stance is that I don't care. If I feel like pirating a game, I'll do it. That could be for whatever reason (game no longer available or never released in my region or just to try before buying). As far as hacking, it doesn't have to involve pirating. You can often hack a game you own without pirating it. You'd be breaking other parts of a license agreement with the software vendor as opposed to pirating, but I don't view that as necessarily bad.

US stands for the United States Government, this is actually an FBI sponsored thread.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
People with atleast some knowledge of console hacking.

Honestly, people that make threads about their dumb R4 clone not working or people that bought the same R4 multiple times cause they think it's broken shouldn't be allowed to pirate.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Honestly, people that make threads about their dumb R4 clone not working or people that bought the same R4 multiple times cause they think it's broken shouldn't be allowed to pirate.
Yet they were born in the first place and I've always said there should be an intelligence test to determine if parents may have kids.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yet they were born in the first place and I've always said there should be an intelligence test to determine if parents may have kids.

Glad I decided to never have kids of me own ;'D
And thus a bit of knowledge dies with me...

Honestly tho, some people are such fools that I ofter wonder how they even managed to turn their computers on.
Let alone know how to find this site and post on it....

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Another one of these threads, eh?

I'll pirate tons of games/media/etc, just because I can. However, if I do enjoy the product or franchise, I'll go back, and make sure to support it. I don't think piracy in any way, shape or form is "good", though I can easily see why people do pirate. Free is much better than paying, for most people.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: That's what I like to see B-) +1