Are you happy with the Wii price?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Opium, Sep 15, 2006.

?

Are you happy with the price of the Wii in your country?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Impartial

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Sep 15, 2006
  1. Opium
    OP

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    The price of the Wii has now been revealed for all territories. Are you happy with the price? Cast your vote!

*This poll is not on the portal yet, but it will be eventually.
    Edit: Done!

2. yatzr

Member yatzr GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i voted yes. i was planning on getting wii sports anyway, and it probably would've been $50 separate.

Also, as an aside for those saying this is the most expensive nintendo console ever, if you adjust the prices of previous consoles for inflation, it is actually the second cheapest. $200 for an nes in 1986 was a hell of a lot more than $250 for a wii now.
    source
    actual launch prices:
    nes - $200
    snes - $200
    n64 - $200
    gcn - $200

adjusted for inflation:
    nes - $364.60
    snes - $293.39
    n64 - $254.68
    gcn - $225.64

3. Sc4rFac3d

Member Sc4rFac3d GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Netherlands
    europe getting screwed 50 bucks again :/ I'm not that happy. But still i'm getting one with zelda. [​IMG]

4. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    I voted yes, but I won't be getting one here.
    I will be importing a US one because what I want at launch is over £110 cheaper in the America even allowing for shipping and customs duty (which I plan on avoiding) I will still come out on top. Plus I don't want to wait.

5. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    I voted impartial. £179 for the european price is a little overpriced I would have liked to see it for £149. Considering the xbox 360 core is only £199 and its a proper next gen console. The games I think arn't priced as bad as I thought £35. Hopefully I'll be able to get them at £30 online. Anyone know the price of the NES, SNES and N64 games? If its £5 for a N64 game I think nintendo have overpriced them.

6. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    The rough price of the VC games is £2-£5, which is reasonable when you can pay the same on xbox market place for less of a game.

7. Athlon-pv

Member Athlon-pv GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Voted no.

I dont want Wii sports. considering importing American version since Wii is as good as region free [​IMG] .

8. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    I voted yes [​IMG] Think its a damn fair price. And please people, don't start saying that it's only a few dollars away form XB360 core system. Everyone knows that Core system SUCKS as it's missing core components that you will eventually have to buy. So, that argument is not a valid one.

9. Renegade_R

Member Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Canada
    I voted yes. I was planning on paying that price even without Wii Sports, web browser, photo viewer etc.

10. HugeCock

Member HugeCock Oh My....

United States
    I voted no, I was hyped for a GREAT DEAL like $199. Even $250 with TWO controllers would have made me HAPPY. I mean 2 controllers really needs to be a standard these days especially for something like the Wii where they want EVERYONE to play. And I am assuming that doesn't include a CLASSIC controller....anyway to get set up so me and a friend can play Wii Sports its gonna cost $310 which is still cheaper than anyone else but I think the hype got to me. Plus I know I will need to buy a light gun, a few more controllers, a sword, a glove, ect. Classic games are bit expensive too....unless they redisgn em for higher resolutions. Classic Zelda in 16*9 would kick ass.....If I remeber right there are some games getting makeovers, can't wait to see that.

11. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    I was expecting $249.99 from the day Nintendo announced it would be less then $250. So I can't say I was building hype for a $199.99 price.

12. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    I was hoping for cheaper. Like HC, I was sucked into the hype. But since that Wii Sports (Possibly the most unimaginative name ever) is bundled, then I guess I can live with paying $250. And HC has a point about the two controllers. If they want eveyone in the house playing, then why make it such a hassle for everyone to play at the same time?

13. x_comp

Member x_comp GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    I agree with that because the US is only getting the console for around £135 so the estimated £150 a while back would have been good. The almost £40 difference can get you one more good game for the Wii already.

14. Darkforce

Former Staff Darkforce DERP!

United Kingdom
    For all the people moaning at the European/Australian prices... it's a good price so quit ya moaning!

Look I'm not an expert on tax or anything but... like in the UK Nintendo will have to pay over £30 alone in VAT (17.5%) for each unit sold, hence why the retail price is so much more over here.
    America doesn't not have VAT but it does have sales tax or something like that which is only around 6-10% depending on state. Unlike the UK this isn't added added onto the retail price but instead paid for seperately at a later time, so they do pay more than $250.

Really there's not much between the European and US prices at all... just be thankful NOE isn't screwing us around anymore like they did with the N64. =D

15. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    $250 is fine, though I was hoping for $230. I never really expected $200. Jumpman's right about the marketing-speak, "under 250" almost always means 249. I also agree that it should be two player ready. Perhaps Nintendo will put out a 2 player bundle for a reduced price before xmas. The classic game price is great IMO, but I do hope they have a large library from the start. I wanna play Devil's Crush Pinball on my tv!

16. OrR

Member OrR Rice-megatron Expert

Germany
    I was expecting 199€ with two controllers. I'm getting a Wii with two controllers, anyway, but I'll have to pay 310€ for it. It's understandable that Nintendo didn't set the price lower. With all the hype they don't have to. It's just not nice...

17. phuzzz

Former Staff phuzzz Hooha!

United States
    I'm thinkin' if the controllers didn't cost as much, there wouldn't be nearly as many people upset with the price. $40 for the remote is a little much, not to mention the nunchuck addon is another $20 (US prices, of course). So, it's not so much that I'm happy with the price, more like content with it.

18. Hanafuda

Member Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States

The SNES actually launched in Japan as the Super Famicom for the same 25,000 yen price that the Wii will launch for there. It didn't come out in the US until 9 months later, like you said for $199.99.

Eleven years ago, Sega Saturn launched for $400 in the US, and Playstation launched for $299.99.

So, I guess I'm saying I think Nintendo's pricing for Wii hardware is good.

19. yatzr

Member yatzr GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Those sales taxes are only state sales taxes, so there are ways around paying them. If you order online from a company that has no physical representation in your state (e.g. no brick & mortar stores), they aren't prepared to charge you sales tax and then give it to your state so they simply don't charge the sales tax. Technically, you're supposed to report it when you file your taxes every year and pay those sales taxes to your state, but nobody does because the states don't have the resources to enforce it. There are a few states trying to push for a system to charge sales tax at online stores in other states, but fortunately my state isn't one of them. I've saved tons of money buying things online instead of at a store in town. [​IMG]

I will, however, be buying my wii at a store in town, so I'll actually be paying about $267.50 for mine.

20. richardv

Member richardv GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Move to Oregon. No sales tax!