Are you happy with the Wii price?

Are you happy with the price of the Wii in your country?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Impartial

• Total voters

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
The price of the Wii has now been revealed for all territories. Are you happy with the price? Cast your vote!

*This poll is not on the portal yet, but it will be eventually.
Edit: Done!

yatzr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i voted yes. i was planning on getting wii sports anyway, and it probably would've been $50 separate.

Also, as an aside for those saying this is the most expensive nintendo console ever, if you adjust the prices of previous consoles for inflation, it is actually the second cheapest. $200 for an nes in 1986 was a hell of a lot more than $250 for a wii now.
source
actual launch prices:
nes - $200
snes - $200
n64 - $200
gcn - $200

adjusted for inflation:
nes - $364.60
snes - $293.39
n64 - $254.68
gcn - $225.64

Sc4rFac3d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
europe getting screwed 50 bucks again :/ I'm not that happy. But still i'm getting one with zelda.
smile.gif

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I voted yes, but I won't be getting one here.
I will be importing a US one because what I want at launch is over £110 cheaper in the America even allowing for shipping and customs duty (which I plan on avoiding) I will still come out on top. Plus I don't want to wait.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I voted impartial. £179 for the european price is a little overpriced I would have liked to see it for £149. Considering the xbox 360 core is only £199 and its a proper next gen console. The games I think arn't priced as bad as I thought £35. Hopefully I'll be able to get them at £30 online. Anyone know the price of the NES, SNES and N64 games? If its £5 for a N64 game I think nintendo have overpriced them.

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I voted yes
smile.gif
Think its a damn fair price. And please people, don't start saying that it's only a few dollars away form XB360 core system. Everyone knows that Core system SUCKS as it's missing core components that you will eventually have to buy. So, that argument is not a valid one.

HugeCock

Oh My....
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I voted no, I was hyped for a GREAT DEAL like $199. Even $250 with TWO controllers would have made me HAPPY. I mean 2 controllers really needs to be a standard these days especially for something like the Wii where they want EVERYONE to play. And I am assuming that doesn't include a CLASSIC controller....anyway to get set up so me and a friend can play Wii Sports its gonna cost $310 which is still cheaper than anyone else but I think the hype got to me. Plus I know I will need to buy a light gun, a few more controllers, a sword, a glove, ect. Classic games are bit expensive too....unless they redisgn em for higher resolutions. Classic Zelda in 16*9 would kick ass.....If I remeber right there are some games getting makeovers, can't wait to see that.

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was expecting $249.99 from the day Nintendo announced it would be less then $250. So I can't say I was building hype for a $199.99 price.

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was hoping for cheaper. Like HC, I was sucked into the hype. But since that Wii Sports (Possibly the most unimaginative name ever) is bundled, then I guess I can live with paying $250. And HC has a point about the two controllers. If they want eveyone in the house playing, then why make it such a hassle for everyone to play at the same time?

x_comp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I voted impartial. £179 for the european price is a little overpriced I would have liked to see it for £149. Considering the xbox 360 core is only £199 and its a proper next gen console. The games I think arn't priced as bad as I thought £35. Hopefully I'll be able to get them at £30 online. Anyone know the price of the NES, SNES and N64 games? If its £5 for a N64 game I think nintendo have overpriced them.
I agree with that because the US is only getting the console for around £135 so the estimated £150 a while back would have been good. The almost £40 difference can get you one more good game for the Wii already.

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
For all the people moaning at the European/Australian prices... it's a good price so quit ya moaning!

Look I'm not an expert on tax or anything but... like in the UK Nintendo will have to pay over £30 alone in VAT (17.5%) for each unit sold, hence why the retail price is so much more over here.
America doesn't not have VAT but it does have sales tax or something like that which is only around 6-10% depending on state. Unlike the UK this isn't added added onto the retail price but instead paid for seperately at a later time, so they do pay more than $250.

Really there's not much between the European and US prices at all... just be thankful NOE isn't screwing us around anymore like they did with the N64. =D

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
$250 is fine, though I was hoping for $230. I never really expected $200. Jumpman's right about the marketing-speak, "under 250" almost always means 249. I also agree that it should be two player ready. Perhaps Nintendo will put out a 2 player bundle for a reduced price before xmas. The classic game price is great IMO, but I do hope they have a large library from the start. I wanna play Devil's Crush Pinball on my tv!

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I was expecting 199€ with two controllers. I'm getting a Wii with two controllers, anyway, but I'll have to pay 310€ for it. It's understandable that Nintendo didn't set the price lower. With all the hype they don't have to. It's just not nice...

phuzzz

Hooha!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm thinkin' if the controllers didn't cost as much, there wouldn't be nearly as many people upset with the price. $40 for the remote is a little much, not to mention the nunchuck addon is another $20 (US prices, of course). So, it's not so much that I'm happy with the price, more like content with it.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i voted yes. i was planning on getting wii sports anyway, and it probably would've been $50 separate.

Also, as an aside for those saying this is the most expensive nintendo console ever, if you adjust the prices of previous consoles for inflation, it is actually the second cheapest. $200 for an nes in 1986 was a hell of a lot more than $250 for a wii now.
source
actual launch prices:
nes - $200
snes - $200
n64 - $200
gcn - $200

adjusted for inflation:
nes - $364.60
snes - $293.39
n64 - $254.68
gcn - $225.64

The SNES actually launched in Japan as the Super Famicom for the same 25,000 yen price that the Wii will launch for there. It didn't come out in the US until 9 months later, like you said for $199.99.

Eleven years ago, Sega Saturn launched for $400 in the US, and Playstation launched for $299.99.

So, I guess I'm saying I think Nintendo's pricing for Wii hardware is good.

yatzr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
America doesn't not have VAT but it does have sales tax or something like that which is only around 6-10% depending on state. Unlike the UK this isn't added added onto the retail price but instead paid for seperately at a later time, so they do pay more than $250.
Those sales taxes are only state sales taxes, so there are ways around paying them. If you order online from a company that has no physical representation in your state (e.g. no brick & mortar stores), they aren't prepared to charge you sales tax and then give it to your state so they simply don't charge the sales tax. Technically, you're supposed to report it when you file your taxes every year and pay those sales taxes to your state, but nobody does because the states don't have the resources to enforce it. There are a few states trying to push for a system to charge sales tax at online stores in other states, but fortunately my state isn't one of them. I've saved tons of money buying things online instead of at a store in town.
cool.gif

I will, however, be buying my wii at a store in town, so I'll actually be paying about $267.50 for mine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.