Hardware Are you getting the New Nintendo 3DS?

Are you getting a New Nintendo 3DS?

• Yes, and I currently own a standard 3DS/3DS XL

Votes: 102 69.4%
  • Yes, and I don't already have a 3DS system

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • No, I already have a 3DS system

Votes: 32 21.8%
  • No, and I don't own any 3DS systems

Votes: 5 3.4%

• Total voters

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The 3DS cannot do simple bi-linear filtering (blurring) of textures like the PSP can, and the PSP can do more polygons, and has a higher resolution of 480x272. The 3DS pales in comparison.

O dear, you have a lot of research to do. Those polygon counts on the PSP are utter nonsense, I've yet to see it hit that suppose 33M. In comparison polygon count is generally higher in 3DS games than PSP games. I haven't even touched what the 3DS GPU is capable of and the features it supports that the PSP lacks.

ieatpixels

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm getting one because I dred the idea of owning the original inferior 3DS while there's a better one out there. I've traded mine in and will collect my New 3DS next week.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I meant graphically. The 3DS isn't on-par with the PSP in terms of graphics.
I wouldn't agree. The games that looked great on PSP generally had a lower framerate and lower draw distance in order to have higher resolution textures, models with a higher polygon count, and bloom effects compared to games on the 3DS (though a few games have shown that it can handle those just as well, if not better). Different priorities there and mostly subjective as to which looks better. Overall, I'd say the 3DS is better purely from a hardware standpoint. Though, it's two different generations. The PSP was designed to be the cutting edge portable console, while the 3DS a well refined handheld.

Also, the PSP was marketed as a portable console experience, so I imagine a lot of the games were prioritizing a more graphical, console like experience. The 3DS doesn't try to push anything other than just being a handheld, for the most part. SSB4 seemed to go the Sony approach.

Even when considering the PSP's ME, I'd argue the 3DS is still more powerful simply because it has a proper dual core setup while the PSP's ME is just a half baked parallel processor. Though, I haven't tried to code anything for the 3DS, so that's just my guess. Either way, neither handheld is bad, just they're from different times and designed with different ideas in mind. At this point, it's like comparing apples and oranges.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

Marcus Aseth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's already sad to have exclusives games amongs different consoles,now exclusives even for the same generation of a console?! What would prevent them to do a "New Nintendo 3DS version2" with other exclusives once again?! This is a bullshit money grabbing commercial manouver,so from me "FUCK YOU NINTENDO",I own a 3ds and I won't purchase another 3ds for principle,doesn't matter how many exclusives they will put on that. Don't support this bullshit with your money please,you just give them the power to abuse even more the consumers.

TellyBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The 3DS cannot do simple bi-linear filtering (blurring) of textures like the PSP can, and the PSP can do more polygons, and has a higher resolution of 480x272. The 3DS pales in comparison.
OMG, I can't help but register upon seeing what kind of unintellectual posts you have been spreading around and cluelessness on what you are even saying. please stop this as you are only making a mockery of yourself.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
OMG, I can't help but register upon seeing what kind of unintellectual posts you have been spreading around and cluelessness on what you are even saying. please stop this as you are only making a mockery of yourself.

THATS THE SPIRIT.jpg

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are the benefits of getting the new one vs buying the 3ds xl that will be on sale for BF?

HEB Plus has the system around 150.

Outsethero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I currently own a 3DS XL and, at the moment, am planning to upgrade to the regular New 3DS. That is, if we get the same models that Japan has in NA. I am a huge sucker for white consoles and I prefer the button colors being on the buttons themselves rather than the letters. Faceplates are definitely a plus!

Pippin666

SSF43DE Master
Trophies
Website
www.tetesrasees.com
XP
Country
Canada
Just because the system is more powerful I will buy it. My bottom screen has so many icons that it takes a lot of time the load them all. Launching SSB is also a pain. Also I am excited about that Chronicles game that I will be able to bring with me anywhere.

Pip'

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse