Gaming Are you enjoying seeing endless low grade DS titles?

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I visit a rom site, and the one detail that never fails to impress me, well maybe depress me is the proper term, is how I can seemingly never go there often enough, to not see daily new titles hitting the market.

How is this even possible?

I realize the Nintendo DS is a splendid item, it's got like 70 million units in sales (well that was the last number I saw), and that of course means you can sure expect to sell a game to quite a large audience.

But 1-3 new games EVERY dang day some weeks?

Yes people, I have been watching this one particular site now for several months. They make it possible to keep on top of every single rom that comes out around the world. They signify region, and it's not always conveniently a US region of course. But still, I have seen some days when more than 10 roms hit the market.

On the surface, that number would sound pleasing, a reason to be happy in your purchase of your Nintendo DS. Because a game device is not worth much without games to play on it.
But I can say without hesitation, that most of the releases are dreadful releases.

No this is not my ganging up on games that only a child could want to play. I am not here to say I resent games only small girls could want. I think small girls have a right to get games made just for them too
smile.gif

But dang it, I am sure those girls have standards they want met as well!!
So you can sure bet I do.

I don't know how much control Nintendo has over the release of a new game. Surely they must have soooome control. It is after all their name that graces these games.
But it does seem to appear, that Nintendo couldn't care less what junk is released for THEIR game device.
Is Nintendo really that greedy?
I hope not.

If I had to add up all the games I have, that I considered a good purchase, I suppose there is enough that I don't consider buying a Nintendo DS money wasted.
But, after seeing the sheer volume of absolute total wastes of cash that have been released, I am shocked.

It's not just that some peope are releasing clones. But the clones are often total junk too.
There are releases that one can only look at, and decide that Nintendo can go to hell if they don't like people using items that permit downloaded games.

Perhaps my greatest recent example, is Paint DS. My god was that ever totally worthless. And when you consider that a person can download the homebrew program Colours which can easily outdo Paint DS. So how is it a properly commercially released item, that was held back a year, could only do what it did. Which was barely anything at all.

Somewhere along the way, someone needs to make it clear to Nintendo, that they need to start making it known to those making DS games, that there has to be a minimum level of acceptable quality in the product.
Currently Nintendo is to me, a company that can make excellent hardware, but couldn't care less if the software was junk.

Artheido

Trophies
Website
artheido.wordpress.com
XP
Country
You shouldn't be bothered since you don't buy the game in the first place
happy.gif

When you enter a place and get something for free; a clear response with be 'Well, it's free'.
When you visit a ROM site and download something for free; your response should be 'Well, it's free'.

tongue.gif

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I proudly bought all my DS games in the beginning (when I stupidly didn't realize a doodad was not uncopyable simply because is wasn't on a disc
smile.gif
).

Then I realized it wasn't impossible, and obtained an R4. I felt a bit guilty though. And I still buy anything I specifically wish to support. If you don't buy something, and it fails as a product, you're only sending the people that made the game the wrong signal.
Not that I am noble, far from it.

But I've had my R4 for half a year now, and my attitude has sadly been forcibly changed.
I now consider my R4 my only defense against shamelessly poorly made junk.

Nintendo is going around beating up on stores selling items such as the R4. Screw Nintendo, I don't own them any more consideration than they offer me.

I reserve the right to be skeptical, and assume every single game is garbage until proven otherwise. Wish I was wrong saying 9 out of 10 games are best avoided. And I have seen seemingly impossible to make lousy, games come out just that way too.

I plan to get Sim City 2 when it comes out.
I plan to get Civilization when it comes out.
I'm sure it will be good stuff, but I'm no one's sucker. I'll check them out first.

altorn

Trophies
Website
atlaswing.zxq.net
XP
Country
Canada
That's just...

You're original post says that you are disappointed about the releases of DS games because they are pieces of crap when you try them out.
Ok, you really buy commercial carts of DS games. And you got an R4 so you could test the games out before you could buy them? Cmon, is this true?

I think, the games you've seen to be crap are "third party" games, which are made by "third party developers", SquareEnix is one of those. You say you see games that are crap. If they are made by nintendo, or licensed by nintendo, they should not be that bad. If they are made by some unfamiliar and nameless company, stay away.

Nintendo's not hunting down flashcarts because they are greedy, they are running a business no matter how you look at it. If they dont sell enough from the game they wasted their money and sweat on, would they be making more games by now? Search the ECONOMIC'S LAW OF SUPPLY AND DEMAND.

And instead of using the R4 or any other flashcart to "test" out the roms before you "buy" them, why not read reviews of the game? They usually have a comprehensive insight of the games. http://www.ign.com/

That's why smart people dont buy every single DS game. They research about an upcoming game, gets convinced by solid facts, and buy the game. Simple.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I can get something for free instead of paying for it, why would I pay for it?

I don't care if the game is good or it sucks. As long as I can get it for free, I ain't buying it. I couldn't care less about some company's profits or losses.

Piracy isn't the reason for the 10 suck games to one half-way decent game ratio.

I'm not gonna hold any moral high ground and say that I'll buy a game if it's good. If I already DL'd the game, buying it would be a waste of money. I'm more likely to buy a new flashcart than a commercial game.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When something is popular shit attaches to it, sure its annoying but you can just IGNORE them and celebrate the games that we do get, to be fair there are one or two decent games a month, that's enough for me.

Perhaps this is easy for me to say seeing that I have around 20+ years of this so I'm use to it. Another thing you could do is instead of moaning on forums, contact the publisher instead, sure some wont listen but some may.

Jaejae

Superfly Don't Used
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
jalaneme said:
thats why i got a psp becasue i was fed up of the sholveware and stuff.
Never talk on the internet. Please.

OP, you got an R4 so you could get free games, don't try and rationalise it with a made up reason, there is no point, we all pirate games, and we all accept that we do.

gizmo_gal

QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I dont know what the initial point of this thread was...He didn't list the games that he felt were total wastes of time. Either way, the same thing applies to almost every form of media.

Go to your library, look around at the hundred thousand to a million books in there, tell me how many of those books interest you? Now walk through the aisles dropping fliers about your opinions and see what good it does.

Go to the movie rental store and music store and repeat. Keep the cops on speed dial because its sure to escalate into something absurd and then something violent.

There are nearly 1000 channels available with some cable providers and my family actually gets about 250. I watch tv once a week sometimes if when my sister is channel surfing and she finds that Spongebob, Family Guy, or Fosters in on then she will stop there and I will watch that, but I only go looking for one show...just one and gratefully that show is available online at the official site
smile.gif

I dont need cable at all. The only reason I haven't tossed out my TV is because I'm still hoping for a GameCube and eventually a Wii.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
altorn said:
Ok, you really buy commercial carts of DS games. And you got an R4 so you could test the games out before you could buy them? Cmon, is this true?
Don't sound so surprised, I won't say this is the reason why they brought one but plenty of people around here use their carts that way.
smile.gif

About low grade titles; I'm a little torn on this one. From where we're sitting the sheer volume of poor quality titles is the problem. But on the other side it offers choice. We're used to following a franchise, sequels, if you like the first one try the rest. But the casual consumer base doesn't think like that, of course someone won't buy all 10 petz games.

I used to totally agree with the OP, but the conversations that've sprung up at work have got me thinking. Two non-gamers in my office recently got DS's, and the titles they rave about are nothing short of interesting. I never thought I'd be in a room with a conversation about DS's that I couldn't say a word on.
smile.gif
"I did it mum" charms a parent when placed in the hands of her 3 year old. Brain training is heralded as one of the best games on the system. I think one of the "imagine" titles was mentioned but I've forgotten now.

I think the problem is balance; for every title that appeals to gamers there's 20-30 for the casual market. Casual players need more titles to give them choice, but this has gone too far. A classic case where compensating for a problem gets over-done and tipped too far in the other direction. On top of that the number of gamer-centric titles is decreasing as companies see the casual market as cheaper to develop for, they don't have to put as much effort in to keep people happy and the title will still sell for the same £25 price tag.

Urziel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
and just to express my self on that ... Nintendo is not greedy, Nintendo is a company
(I happen to study postgrad marketing and my undergrad was on that as well...) Therefore, as far as marketing is concerned a company will produce the products that they see through research or otherwise that they will sell.

And trust me, although it still is a bit "evil," marketing is not what it used to be 10 years ago. Companies dont make and try to sell, they try to understand what people want and then make (so the end product sells itself - I am not getting into details on that sorry). Soooooo, I do not believe that there are a lot of stupid people out there who would buy shitty games just because they are stupid but I will stress the fact that there are a lot of different opinions on what a good game is and what not. You like something, someone else doesnt but still you do believe that the games THEY buy are totally stupid to begin with, its just a matter of taste.

eeeeem what else... oh yeah, and most of these games are not even made BY Nintendo they are made FOR Nintendo. And if you ask then why Nintendo actually allows games like that to circulate and actually promotes companies to do so, thats called relationship marketing. A game company can make a shitty game today (shitty in your or my point of view - but not others) and a gem tomorrow. Especially in this industry if a company messes its relations with a "supplier" today, tomorrow it might be around the corner begging for food... think about it
wink.gif

EDIT: Buddha-Kun... who is that ANGEL you have on your avatar man?

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hadrian said:
When something is popular shit attaches to it, sure its annoying but you can just IGNORE them and celebrate the games that we do get, to be fair there are one or two decent games a month, that's enough for me.

lecture.gif
Listen to the man.

It's like someone letting you drive around his nice expensive car for free forever but you aren't allowed to wash it, but the rain washes it away. So what if there is a bit of bird poop on the windscreen, enjoy the good things that come out of it instead of moaning that the bit of bird shit is there because it's none of your concern.

Bad example but if you were Nintendo, you'd probably do what they'd do too.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Jaejae said:
Never talk on the internet. Please.

i'm still taking, what you going to do?
yaypsp.gif

Hadrian said:
When something is popular shit attaches to it.

very very true, you could say the same for the Wii too, it's a shame though, just look at the release list for the DS and then tell me if there is any quality titles there? why flame and try to protect the DS?

QUOTE(Urziel @ Apr 14 2008, 10:37 PM)
Nintendo is not greedy, Nintendo is a company

oh yes, nintendo are N01 for being greedy especially in europe, i guess you haven't see the "it prints money" animated gif then?

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
jalaneme said:
oh yes, nintendo are N01 for being greedy especially in europe, i guess you haven't see the "it prints money" animated gif then?

Ever heard of taxes? That's the problem, not Nintendo specifically.

Taxes are the major issue, just look at the 60p they slap on petrol. It's the government, not the companies.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"