Are you Canadian? Want better internet service?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Panzer Tacticer, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Panzer Tacticer
    OP

Member Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Canada
    I just responded to a thread on this matter, but decided I might like to address it head on.

Ok first off if you are going to whine that daddy controls your internet service I guess I can't help you much. The following advice is really only going to be of use to you if you are actually the one in control of your internet service.

Now, for unbiased dialogue, don't rely on just my opinion, seek out others. Look no farther than here.
    http://www.dslreports.com/forums/all
    It's where all things internet and internet service are discussed. And no, you better assume these are all serious adults, so you might want to keep in mind that standard GBAtemp behaviour won't get you far.

I am a customer of Teksavvy, currently considered the 'right' choice for anyone wanting better internet service. If you actually 'like' Bell keep it to yourself or I might end up saying something nasty to you involving your intellect [​IMG]

I pay less for Teksavvy than Bell or Cable, and I get more for that less. I enjoy fast speeds, and I enjoy bandwidth you can only dream of with Bell or Cable. Not only that, but, if I actually need to talk to service, they will actually sound just like me, as they are in Southern Ontario and not friggin India.

With the 'right' modem and router, being throttled doesn't happen. It's that simple. If you refuse to get the right equipment, kindly stop complaining about the throttling too.
    Again, I don't want to hear about your lousy allowance if that is the problem.

I have found that most of the GBAtemp crowd can work minor miracles in the fine art of getting something for nothing where games are concerned.
    Getting decent internet service is really not that hard. But it DOES require you stop listening to the Bell and Cable ads and to throw out the Bell and Cable junk mail.
    For one thing, they have been known to both lie and cover up details they don't want you to hear.

You only need to look in the respective forums on that link to find out the facts.

In addition to games, I can download oodles of gigs of anything else every damn month thanks to my superior Teksavvy service. Good luck doing that on a limited bandwidth and throttled service like Bell or Cable.
    And if something goes wrong, good luck with Haboo in India.

If you have to convince a parent to change, force them to look at that link, and TELL him they're paying more than they have to.
    My bill from Bell dropped from 45 bucks to 30 bucks. And that's for essentially the same residential service. Tell your parents they make the move, and get a free lunch out each month in savings. That should make them happy eh.

2. Tozarian

Member Tozarian GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Dccnet FTW!

They just got purchased by Eastlink though...

Teksavvy might be my next choice if they don't throttle or monitor...

3. silent sniper

Member silent sniper !dennaB

Canada
    I have DCCnet as well, they treat us awesome.

4. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    I am on Rogers and just got bumped from a 7 Mb to a 10 Mb connection for free. Granted the speed isn't that much faster, there is a bit of an improvement in transfer rates for uploading and downloads are a tad faster. I have been able to push my connection to 1,500kbps (1.5MB) thus far, dunno if it can go any faster though.

5. anaxs

Member anaxs got milk, got candy

Canada
    yeh same with me....

6. popopola

Member popopola GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I'm on telus, it's okay speeds..

I wish Canada had fibreoptics...

7. silent sniper

Canada
    Im from Greater Vancouver (you dont get to know where!!). DCC net is a company that provides to a few suburbs around Vancouver.

8. EvanUnisil

Member EvanUnisil GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I'm a frequent visitor of DSLReports and used to be a Teksavvy customer. Moving to Australia though so had to disconnect. Man, the state of the Internet in Canada right now does not look good.

9. DSGamer64

Canada
    Orbiting around Hankchill [​IMG]

10. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Out of my city. OUT!

11. silent sniper

Canada
    If you were to be able to get DCCNet, you should do it. like $40 a month, but the service is great. I've had them for years and not once have they screwed me over.

12. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    [​IMG]

MTS is so bad they accidentally gave me faster internet a while ago, I better not tell them, otherwise service has been great.

13. guihome

Newcomer guihome Member

Canada
    fyi in quebec all alternative company use the bell network [​IMG] so it's not my internet provider(radioactif) that throttle between 5pm and 3am it's bell.

29.95 a month illimited

peace out

14. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Here is my current Rogers Internet Express speed. [​IMG]
    Not that good but shouldn't be ungrateful as there is worse internet speeds elsewhere in the world. I'm jealous of the US and Japan's fiber-optic cables. Blazing fast internet speeds!

15. wchill

Member wchill Resident chillxpert

United States
    Ehh I don't have a cable or fiber connection, my Internet is about 1.5-2.5mbit so it sucks ass....
    Japan/South Korea have blazing fast Internet though (over 100mbit, here in the US we have 30?)

16. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    Mine's crap.

[​IMG]

Not as good as you guys.

17. Cablephish

Member Cablephish Show me...

Canada
    [​IMG]
    Yeah, compared to me Splych, you're still up there.

18. Golfman560

Member Golfman560 TheRapist.com

Antarctica
    Since a few of you are talking about how you'd want fiber-optic cable, this is what I get for $20/month

[​IMG]

If I spent another $10 a month I could push download to 50Mbs and upload to 20Mbs

Seems you Canadians need to get more competitive ISP's to lower prices and to get better service.

19. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    Anyone know a good place to go for in Canada, Ontario of the GTA region?

Wanna pay $30 max, and if possible, what can you get with $20?

20. DSGamer64

Canada
    When I was going to school in Hamilton, I used Mountain Cable basic highspeed, if you plan on downloading anything aside from game patches, it's slow as fuck.