Are you allowed to buy stuff from recycling centers

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Dominator211, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Dominator211
    OP

Dominator211 JFK's Jelly Donut

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Title says it all I am just wondering because I hear people all the time saying I got this trash picked pc from the recycling center.... if you need the specific on I am looking at I will PM you

2. Trumpasaurus

Trumpasaurus GBAtemp Regular

Jul 8, 2017
    United States
    Yes. It depends on each individual center’s policies though. You should call around.
    Check junkyards, too. Many of them have special deals on things. Just contact them.
    Example: one junkyard had a deal where everything you could physically carry out of the place would only be $50. My uncle is built like a bodybuilder so he would go get these huge engines, transmissions, and stuff for $50. Haha

DarthDub likes this.
  3. GreatCrippler

GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    I ran the IT department in just such a place for several years. Reuse is a heavy part of recycling. Usually business grade stuff was what got repaired and resold, but a small amount of the residential was still worthwhile.

4. Trumpasaurus

Trumpasaurus GBAtemp Regular

Jul 8, 2017
    United States
    Rinse, Reuse, Recycle. Anything to keep the stuff out of the landfills. I think there should be more advertising for stuff like that. Government should highly encourage it. Helps reduce waste. Plus, if they claim to care about the environment, they should be using it as a tool to reduce use of raw resources.

5. GreatCrippler

GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    It's a fair amount of hoops to jump through to get it, but the government is willing to give a lot of money to facilities that operate within certain guidelines.

6. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    Why can't you just post what you are looking for?
    Its very unlikely you will find gaming geared stuff, the majority of it which has already been mentioned is mostly business machines (server blades, rack servers, network switches usually rack mounted)

7. Dominator211
    OP

Dominator211 JFK's Jelly Donut

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    New York
    i will check junkyads too

im looking for olds pcs becuase i cant stop hearing about i ton youtubes

Last edited by Dominator211, Aug 12, 2017
  8. VinLark

VinLark This machine kills bourgeois sentimentality.

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    4chan and other wonders of the internet
    Some have that system in place, most of my centers have a system where you can buy metals, and you can also sell scrap metals