Not open for further replies.

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Title says it all I am just wondering because I hear people all the time saying I got this trash picked pc from the recycling center.... if you need the specific on I am looking at I will PM you

Trumpasaurus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Title says it all I am just wondering because I hear people all the time saying I got this trash picked pc from the recycling center.... if you need the specific on I am looking at I will PM you
Yes. It depends on each individual center’s policies though. You should call around.
Check junkyards, too. Many of them have special deals on things. Just contact them.
Example: one junkyard had a deal where everything you could physically carry out of the place would only be $50. My uncle is built like a bodybuilder so he would go get these huge engines, transmissions, and stuff for $50. Haha

Reactions: DarthDub

GreatCrippler

Greatness Fallen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ran the IT department in just such a place for several years. Reuse is a heavy part of recycling. Usually business grade stuff was what got repaired and resold, but a small amount of the residential was still worthwhile.

Trumpasaurus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ran the IT department in just such a place for several years. Reuse is a heavy part of recycling. Usually business grade stuff was what got repaired and resold, but a small amount of the residential was still worthwhile.
Rinse, Reuse, Recycle. Anything to keep the stuff out of the landfills. I think there should be more advertising for stuff like that. Government should highly encourage it. Helps reduce waste. Plus, if they claim to care about the environment, they should be using it as a tool to reduce use of raw resources.

Reactions: Ryccardo and Henx

GreatCrippler

Greatness Fallen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rinse, Reuse, Recycle. Anything to keep the stuff out of the landfills. I think there should be more advertising for stuff like that. Government should highly encourage it. Helps reduce waste. Plus, if they claim to care about the environment, they should be using it as a tool to reduce use of raw resources.

It's a fair amount of hoops to jump through to get it, but the government is willing to give a lot of money to facilities that operate within certain guidelines.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why can't you just post what you are looking for?
Its very unlikely you will find gaming geared stuff, the majority of it which has already been mentioned is mostly business machines (server blades, rack servers, network switches usually rack mounted)

D

Deleted User

Some have that system in place, most of my centers have a system where you can buy metals, and you can also sell scrap metals

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why wouldn't you be allowed to do that?
I don't know why we are raising the dead but OK.

Most of the scrap yards around me basically refuse to sell anything and definitely discourage it. Usually citing insurance in case a car falls on them or something. Sometimes it is because they are hoping scrap prices rise again and they can sell it all to China for a lot.
There are some

and seems places in Germany are wonderous

and seeing what happens in the US (and being in a few there too)

I can only dream.

But at the same time I have turned up places cash in my hand asking to buy some scrap sheet to make something, some scrap rod to play with in my lathe and despite it sometimes sitting right there on the pile then "nah we don't have anything like that". Never mind actually making a nice little rack or pile.
Fortunately there are still a few machine shops and fabricators around (sometimes positioned rather close to and using the scrap yard) that were willing to part with such things.

Likewise most of the tips (different concept to scrap yards, usually a service paid for by the local councils to allow residents to get rid of stuff and businesses to pay for them) either have their workers make a lot under the table, themselves make a lot from reselling after vetting or are terrified that some piece of scrap might have some mercury or something in that will see them sued. A few of them do have some kind of charity shop attached where the mid tier stuff (the good stuff goes elsewhere) gets put and they sell it on. They even sometimes get shirty when in there if I have asked someone else if they are getting rid of that then I will take it off their hands for them.

Electronics recyclers here are usually also code for "if it is a less than 3 year old shiny computer we will run dban on your computer drive, charge you for the service and resell for a lot of money, otherwise please get lost or maybe pay us even more money and we will still send it to scrap*". I have dealt less with them stateside but I also get the impression that is how it rolls there too.

*note scrap might well mean sending it halfway around the world to have the poor bastards there burn it, inhale all the nice fumes and ultimately recover a few grams of actually valuable material.

Reactions: Ryccardo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @SylverReZ great to see you here