Are you against Piracy?

Are you against Piracy?

• Yes, the game industry is suffering under it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I do not care if I fuck up the games as long as I can play it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pspunabletohack

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Yes The Game the game industry is suffering under it.
cry.gif
hate2.gif

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dark Langin said:
Well I am completely against piracy I do not care what reason. NAH

I just found out that some game developers cannot develop anymore cos we do not buy anything!
unsure.gif

Some game developers cannot develop anymore because the current gen systems are too expensive to develop for. Most portable games do fine, so long as they aren't garbage. If all those developers that are being crushed had just developed for PSP and DS to begin with, rather than trying their hand at 360 and PS3, they would still be doing fine.

PSP and DS wouldn't have pushed nearly as many units as they did if it weren't so easy to pirate for them.

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
antwill said:
Can I just say that people saying the only reason people pirate is because they can't afford it, is total bullshit.

Look at that Indie games pack that was around not too long ago, all you had to do was donate money to however much you wanted to pay. Not how much the developers wanted, how much you wanted. Well it's pretty obvious what happened next. Instead of people paying even say 1c, they pirated the games.

You all need to stop making excuses for what you're doing and trying to act as if it makes it any more right because you can't afford the games. Well guess what, you don't have a right to download them, or a need, you just WANT to play them. That is all, nothing more to it than that. All it comes down to is greed.

Oh, the moral high road, huh? Ok, imagine if you were an artist or something. If some of you're art was stolen before you sold it, you wouldn't get a thing, and you'd be pissed. Now, if your art got burned, or your cat slashed it all up, or it was damaged while you were transporting it, you would say it happens, and go on. Only when you see the money do you scream bloody hell, anything else, it's just bad luck. Wouldn't that be a pretty good case of Greed?

The game industry is like this; if the game was pirated, they scream bloody murder even if the game did sell. If it was burned accidentally, the shipment crashed, or some person in the company messed it up, they wouldn't be such a brouhaha. It's still also just Greed.

If as you say, that people only choose to see it from the "i can't afford it" perspective, but not that the company only sees the "they stole our damn money" perspective, then you'd be rather biased, since actual people have infinitely more things to worry about than a company made to do one thing.

Now, look at it from the point of view that there might be some pirates out there who actually appreciate their work even if they couldn't afford it rather than some rich snob who'd buy something and forget it (after all, gaming is an expensive hobby). Coz people assume pirates don't enjoy the games as much as those who buy it, but then they forget that sometimes it's the free thing that really gets to you, rather than the thing you bought that you could have hundreds of. Wouldn't it be pirated only by people who actually care about it? Isn't it the community here that helps each other because they actually give a damn, the kind of people who would gladly lay down money if they had it for something they gave a damn about?

I believe piracy is not right, but it isn't killing off the industry, far from it. Don't be mistaken, us guys here love the industry as much as the guy who does pay, we just have the bad luck to face reality more than some do, so we can't afford to support it the same way.

Paarish

Connor's Nublet
Trophies
XP
Country
Shinigami357 said:
antwill said:
Snippy snip

Oh, the moral high road, huh? Ok, imagine if you were an artist or something. If some of you're art was stolen before you sold it, you wouldn't get a thing, and you'd be pissed. Now, if your art got burned, or your cat slashed it all up, or it was damaged while you were transporting it, you would say it happens, and go on. Only when you see the money do you scream bloody hell, anything else, it's just bad luck. Wouldn't that be a pretty good case of Greed?

The game industry is like this; if the game was pirated, they scream bloody murder even if the game did sell. If it was burned accidentally, the shipment crashed, or some person in the company messed it up, they wouldn't be such a brouhaha. It's still also just Greed.

If as you say, that people only choose to see it from the "i can't afford it" perspective, but not that the company only sees the "they stole our damn money" perspective, then you'd be rather biased, since actual people have infinitely more things to worry about than a company made to do one thing.

Now, look at it from the point of view that there might be some pirates out there who actually appreciate their work even if they couldn't afford it rather than some rich snob who'd buy something and forget it (after all, gaming is an expensive hobby). Coz people assume pirates don't enjoy the games as much as those who buy it, but then they forget that sometimes it's the free thing that really gets to you, rather than the thing you bought that you could have hundreds of. Wouldn't it be pirated only by people who actually care about it? Isn't it the community here that helps each other because they actually give a damn, the kind of people who would gladly lay down money if they had it for something they gave a damn about?

I believe piracy is not right, but it isn't killing off the industry, far from it. Don't be mistaken, us guys here love the industry as much as the guy who does pay, we just have the bad luck to face reality more than some do, so we can't afford to support it the same way.

*applaudes"

tatripp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
30084pm said:
Shinigami357 said:
antwill said:
Snippy snip

*applaudes"

GK Chesterton (a philosopher known as the prince of paradox) says something similar. He said something to the effect that people always say that thieves don't appreciate property, but in reality thieves appreciate property too much.

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Shinigami357 said:
You missed my point, I was never talking about or from the perspective of the industry or anything like that. I was merely saying, all those people who say "Oh I pirate because I can't afford games," are just making up excuses and should stop acting like they have a right to pirate because they have no money. People will do what they want, but it's about time they stop trying to make excuses for their actions. So what if you have no money, you don't need to play games, all it comes down to is you wanting something you can't legally have (at the moment). Just admit, "Yeah I have no money, so I pirate games, doesn't make it any right or fair, just the only way I can play the games that I so selfishly want."

Shinigami357

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
antwill said:
Shinigami357 said:
You missed my point, I was never talking about or from the perspective of the industry or anything like that. I was merely saying, all those people who say "Oh I pirate because I can't afford games," are just making up excuses and should stop acting like they have a right to pirate because they have no money. People will do what they want, but it's about time they stop trying to make excuses for their actions. So what if you have no money, you don't need to play games, all it comes down to is you wanting something you can't legally have (at the moment). Just admit, "Yeah I have no money, so I pirate games, doesn't make it any right or fair, just the only way I can play the games that I so selfishly want."

And my point is you can't judge us from one point of view. I can see where you're coming from, but one point of view is too cramped, almost narrow-minded if you think only selfishness fuels pirates to do what they do, sometimes there's more than 2 sides to the story, if you know what i mean. It's one thing to say being selfish is wrong, and entirely something else to say all of us are selfish hicks.

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Shinigami357 said:
And my point is you can't judge us from one point of view. I can see where you're coming from, but one point of view is too cramped, almost narrow-minded if you think only selfishness fuels pirates to do what they do, sometimes there's more than 2 sides to the story, if you know what i mean. It's one thing to say being selfish is wrong, and entirely something else to say all of us are selfish hicks.
And you just proved my point, that people will make up excuses trying to make it seem right that they pirate. There is nothing more to it than selfishness, it's not like someone will die unless you pirate, or you will get yelled at if you don't pirate games... Fact is it's a hobby, not a necessity, and as such, you can live without playing a few games that you can't afford at the moment. People just want to come up with excuses trying to justify this behaviour.

Shinigami357

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Oh, shut up about being oh so high and mighty. Don't you have any other arguments other than the same thing you've been spouting for 3 posts now? Sure we make excuses, it's true. Frankly, I'd rather be selfish than so goddamned narrow-minded you wouldn't consider the other person's point of view. Hell, the OP was basically just asking if it was killing the industry, not this "who is greedier" BS you always come up with. I mean, at least rephrase it, cause repetition doesn't make you right. It makes you redundant.

DryYoshi

Love child of Dry Bones and Yoshi
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I wish i didn't pirate, because now i dont have awsome game boxes and stuff, but i also don't want to have to choose if i'm gonna buy a wii game, xbox games, or ds game.
So it's just the way it's gonna be.
Atleast I still buy the systems and don't use emulators on the PC!
(BTW, i read [N]Gamer too)

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I pirate because I lag money, else I would pay for games AFTER I PIRATED IT!

LDAsh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think piracy, above anything else, means less innovative and original games, and less games from newbie developers who are possibly the ones more likely to bring innovation and originality. The game industry seems to now be a lot like the movie industry, and many times developers are commissioned by publishers who hire a team of marketing people with dollar-signs in their eyes to figure out "what the kids want", and everything goes from there. Developers with original ideas, who have had complete control over their own ideas, are seen as a risk, not because their ideas are no good but because there's no sheet full of sales figures to back up its potential success. That's why we keep seeing the same "shovelware" that everyone seems to hate, the same line-up-the-3-colours puzzle game that's trying to disguise itself as some elaborate adventure game. I don't know what more proof people need, because surely there are obviously plenty of developers out there that would love to make cool original games. Ask yourself why haven't they been doing so?

Also, I think people do have good intentions when they say "I'll buy it if it's good, but lemme pirate it first to make sure", but I've seen with my own eyes how the pirated game gets completed and played thoroughly, and it quickly becomes "I'd buy it if I didn't already complete it".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn