Are X-Mas 07 Wiis D2C?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by puff1983, Nov 28, 2007.

Nov 28, 2007

Are X-Mas 07 Wiis D2C? by puff1983 at 9:08 PM (1,804 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. puff1983
    OP

Newcomer puff1983 Advanced Member

United States
    I have my brother-in-law's Wii that he got for christmas at launch. He then lends me the Wii for a very long portion of 07. I just recently installed the wiikey cause he had a d2a chip and got a crapload of games. Now he sees what I have done and the douche bag wants to take it back from me. My question is this: If I buy a Wii (if I can find one) what are the chances that it's gonna be a d2c chip?

2. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    I'd say there's a 99% chance it's a D2C. But that's not a problem, as they are moddable now too.

3. sekhu

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    Yeah if you buy a wii now, it's unlikely it will be a d2a/b

i wonder how long it'll be before Ninty introduce D2D machines

4. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    Unlikely? More like Guaranteed it'll be a D2C Wii.

5. captain^k

Member captain^k GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    Personally, I'd rather have a D2C than a D2B with cut legs any day!

6. puff1983
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the info. I'm really lazy when it comes to installing chips so I really liked the wiikey. I guess I'll have to settle for a D2C. (I still think my brother-in-law is a dick)

7. andreq

Member andreq GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    why can't you remove the Wiikey if you paid for it ?

I mean... if he want the Wii back... just buy a new one and give this one to him... or something...

If he want his wii back... remove the chip... and find an old Wii on ebay or similar (some are still available)

otherwise... sell the chip

8. ziddey

Member ziddey GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    He lent it to you, so what's the problem with him asking for it back? Is he upset about the modchip? Or is it because it's modded now that he's taken interest in it again? Either way, it is his..

That said, why not just buy him a brand new wii? I'm imagining the problem you're facing is you don't want to just give him the wiikey, and of course he never asked for it in the first place, so he won't pay for it. And the wiikey won't work with d2c.

So really, wiikey's aren't that expensive, so if you must part with it, whatever. He's family. Or buy him a new wii. Then he wants to have it modded, that's his own money.. Besides, new system for him. Then he can't blame you if it breaks. Vs now, if it breaks a few months down the road, he'll probably demand you buy him a new one anyway..

Or buy a new wii, rent a wii from your movie place, and swap out the drive. Chances are, the rental wii's have old drives.

9. puff1983
    OP

United States
    I guess from the start of this post, I was a little pissed because he basically didn't care for his wii at one point and I spent so much time doing the reasearch and such. Hell, I didn't even know how to solder the damn chip in but I learned and got it to work. Besides, d2c chips seem more tedious to intall but I'm only speculating. Well see how this all pans out. Thanks for the info guys.

10. Bob Loblaw

Member Bob Loblaw Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!

United States
    Give him the wii but keep the games. Take the chip out if you are really mad at him.
    You will definitely get a d2c. It's not like 360's where an old model could be sitting on the shelf unsold.

11. mike10

Newcomer mike10 Advanced Member

apparently nintendo has been holding back machines for a long time so they would have more stock for christmas if that is true then there might be older wii's out there

12. Kamakazie

Member Kamakazie GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yeah, thats not at all true.

13. robi

Member robi GBAtemp Regular

France
    I'm confused that you're upset that he wants something back that is his. It's not like after x amount of days that ownership gets transferred to you, no matter how much research you might do. Not to mention that you also voided his warranty without his permission on what was your first time soldering.

14. osirisFIVE

Member osirisFIVE GBAtemp Fan

Singapore
    I won mine at a lucky draw last last month.

It was already d2c.

15. JKR Firefox

Member JKR Firefox Back.

Canada
    My buddy just bought a Wii which we are getting modded soon and that one is a D2C.

- Fitzy

16. gaboumafou

Member gaboumafou GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    All Wii's since september are D2C...

Btw, anybody know a good guy who could solder a D2C chip in Quebec? The guy at modchip-quebec.com is reeeeaaaally expensive (180$ for a D2Ckey?!)...?

17. wiithepeople

Member wiithepeople ^^didn't play it that much, but I love it =D

United States
    It may not be d2c if you buy an old one from craigslist/ebay [​IMG]

18. pimpyT

Member pimpyT GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Bought one right before Thanksgiving and according to the lookup of the serial #, it's a GC2-D2C, and the drive pins are likely uncut.